Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Laptop Harddrive vs External Harddrive - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

Simple question. Which is better? Storing my music on the internal Laptop drive or use an external drive. I know there are many factors to consider such as, size, speed etc but bottom line which is better and what do you recommend.

Thanks

JumpinJim

geposted Thu 30 Nov 06 @ 10:38 pm
If you have one hard drive on your laptop, use that for your programs. Use an external drive for your media. Why have your drive running the program, and trying to access and play the media? Less wear and tear on both drives. I believe this will also help in performance, but what do I know. I know some laptops have slower drives, so try to get as fast of a drive as you can. Faster is better, unless it's sex.

geposted Thu 30 Nov 06 @ 11:05 pm
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Neither is better for storing music. It's a matter of what's more convinient for you.

geposted Sat 02 Dec 06 @ 5:05 am
Have you considered playing them off an mp3 player? ipod maybe?

geposted Sat 02 Dec 06 @ 6:08 am
I have bought a Seagate drive - my previous Acer laptop crashed irreparably before I had the chance to use it. I had put all my music on the D drive in the Acer - and it was nearly full. I've put almost the same number of songs on this Seagate and it's used hardly any space. I am now using a Medion laptop.

Laptops don't have quite as much storage space as their larger counterparts. Most of the space is taken up by the actual software packages. You need to have Windows Media Player to store your music on - most other music player packages might require a lot of conversion for use with Virtual DJ. I think they are designed to not clog up the memory too much with packages - some of the early computers (we're talking Spectrum and Commodore 64 here) were designed exclusively for game play, not for music. Spectrum couldn't draw graphics AND play music at the same time - also the original 48k model didn't know how to play chords. And you had to store everything on cassette - took about 20 minutes to load a game. There was a microdrive (a bit like a floppy) - they loaded quickly, but they were expensive and often it would say "Microdrive not present" when a mmicrodrive WAS present. They also came up with "Wafadrive" - smaller discs with more storage capabilty.

Before that, of course, there was games consoles (Atari and Acetronic - we had an Acetronic), for things like Space Invaders - but the cartridges were either few and far between or prohibitively expensive.

Even before that, there were TV games - but they only played tennis, football, squash, solo squash and two shooting games - but they never sold the guns for the shooting games and the ball was square and the bats rectangular. How things have moved on since then

geposted Sat 02 Dec 06 @ 11:30 am
I think ( there for i am? ) that a A Man and His Music said it right. Its not about what is more conveinent for you, but what gives you better performance. If the "C" drive on a lap top does not have very many programs running on it while using VDJ, then the performance of the laptop will be much smoother. If you are not using resources from the lap top to find music on the "D" drive, then that frees up even more resporces. An external hard drive ( i think ) uses its own resources to find the music then makes it avaiable to the lap top. This is what I believe, but, I also believe the earth is flat.

Keep the beat sweet

geposted Sat 02 Dec 06 @ 8:18 pm
I "believe" that an advice should be based on facts, not on what someone "thinks" is true.

geposted Sat 02 Dec 06 @ 8:28 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
My favourite flavour milkshake is chocolate, but if the guests to my house prefer another flavour then I'll happily serve it.

geposted Sat 02 Dec 06 @ 9:04 pm
If you own a home that is mobile and a car that is not - You might be a redneck.
If Somone tells HOEDOWN and your Girlfreind hits the floor - You might be a redneck
If you take your dog for a walk and you both use the tree - You might be a redneck

BUT................

If you use a laptop to DJ - you should use a external harddrive for media storage. Untill you get a rack mount case and can mount two hard drives internally.

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

geposted Sat 02 Dec 06 @ 9:17 pm
I come at the end of time and at the start of eternitiy. I come four times in every week, but only once in a thousand years. What am I?

geposted Sat 02 Dec 06 @ 10:03 pm
PuttePRO InfinityMember since 2004
Letter E ?

geposted Sat 02 Dec 06 @ 10:10 pm
E?.....xactly!

geposted Sat 02 Dec 06 @ 10:11 pm
well dj abnorm...like i said...i believe the earth is flat....and that man has never landed on the moon. And that women are a mans worst nightmare...and that dogs and cats are alien to the earth and have been using the earth to fight a secret war for eons.....mirrors are a doorway to another dimension, provided you vibrate your body at the right frequency....all vinyl has a secret message recorded in it, provided you play it backwards at a pre-determined speed....all inoculaton shots are a way for the secret world government to put tracking devices into our bodys so that they know where we are at all times....that mobile homes are the prefered mode of transportation for mass murderers...and that in my own mind i am the center of the universe and through me flows the energy that keeps this world and the rest of the universe unfolding as it should.

But what i think does not matter to other people, unless by voicing my thoughts gets them thinking.
It would have been worse for me to post telling him/her that what i am posting is right. Then have half a hundred people post telling me i am wrong. My post was made so that others could see that i was not 100% sure of what i was posting. DJ rasza gave us some ideas and DJ arthurvasey shared with us their experiance and some facts.Then DJ Marcel posted with the correct info. Then Bagpuss told us his favourite flavour and and with Putte told us some interesting facts about the letter "E".

The letter that follows "E" is "F".....i wonder if Bagpuss could give us a lesson on that letter?....heh heh heh.

Keep the beat sweet.

geposted Sun 03 Dec 06 @ 9:44 pm
Perhaps this thread has been overtaken by silliness, because such was an original question. There is not right or wrong answer to this, but my advice was not out of this world like the others.

geposted Sun 03 Dec 06 @ 9:58 pm
The Answer is: different strokes for different folks, but whatever your stroke, be sure to have a back-up of some kind, an external HD is an ideal back-up for someone who's only running a laptop as their sole computer, whether you want to take one to gigs or not depends on the venues space and what else your planning to pack. One thing I've come to realise in this business is thus: There is no perfect solution, no best product or (broadly speaking) best DJ. In the ideal of ones mind we manufacture our own products, meeting the specifications and the look we want, but in the shops your looking at someone else's creation, you've got to seek a compromise not a dream, the best solution is never a cheap one but a good solution doesn't always have to be expensive.

Now who wants another riddle to solve? Personally I'm still struggling with some of them from above, or weren't they meant to read as riddles? hehe.

geposted Sun 03 Dec 06 @ 11:06 pm
funnyb0nzPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
Ok, now to sum this up...........Well depending on your laptop's buss speed, processor, and of course the RPM of your hard drive (and also the amount of data on the drive) will all effect how it performs. However most of us have alot of music. So with that being said, you will see great performance running your music off an external drive (as long as your computer is not filled with un needed running programs running in background). The reason being, is that if you have 1 hard drive in your laptop (I have yet found a laptop with multiple hard drives inside it (Physical hard drives), this hard drive will have to Operating System and Virtual DJ running on it. So when the system makes request and uses the pageing file it will be doing alot of reading from your hard drive. So if you threw your music on this drive you may see the performance degrade, compared to running your music off an external hard drive.

Now if no one believes this, go snag PCMARK 04 (futuremark.com) and run it. You will see the results for yourself.

geposted Mon 04 Dec 06 @ 4:49 am
funnybonz....good advice

everyone else....you guys are wacky!

geposted Mon 04 Dec 06 @ 5:29 am
I may be whacky but I try not to be tacky...Easy riddle now

I walk on four legs in the morning and two legs during the day but in the evening i walk on 4 legs and sometimes 6. What am I?

Please e-mail your answers to

raw-bear@koo-koo.com (not a real e-mail address btw)

geposted Mon 04 Dec 06 @ 6:57 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Raw-Bear wrote :
I may be whacky but I try not to be tacky...Easy riddle now

I walk on four legs in the morning and two legs during the day but in the evening i walk on 4 legs and sometimes 6. What am I?

Please e-mail your answers to

raw-bear@koo-koo.com (not a real e-mail address btw)

tsk tsk tsk

its a human

geposted Mon 04 Dec 06 @ 11:27 am
human?.....doesn't make sense

geposted Mon 04 Dec 06 @ 9:03 pm
83%