Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: some help for a noob!!

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

hi all...need some help ...
i have 2 turntabels a mixer and pc (i have atomix working fine with 2 sound cards)
my question is this ... if i buy the time encoded discs from this web site and use virtual dj software (v4.0) do i need special stylus.... do i need a special sound card or can i use the two i have in my pc..
would i be able to plug the decks straight into my mixer and use my set up as it is?
i have looked at the web site but does not help me much.... im sure the questions are stupid to most users but as i said im new to this set up...
please please help
thanks
dj jarvis

geposted Wed 13 Dec 06 @ 8:05 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
http://www.virtualdj.com/products/timecode/ for most info on time codes

you will need a soundcard with dual strero inputs

such as u46dj

or you can use the lines in of two cards

on your pc

i recomend for this however u use the asio for all cards driver

please get the lastest demo 4.1r2

for this remember that you will pro for sustained usage

geposted Wed 13 Dec 06 @ 8:12 pm

Yes, you can connect your turntables to your mixer (for real vinyls) AND to a soundcard (for timecode input), and with timecode vinyls, you can control the software, and play mp3s just as if it was "on" your vinyls ;)

you dont need a special soundcard really, but you need a soundcard though, that has TWO line ins, for your turntables, AND two line outs to mixer (from VDJ).

And prefferably a soundcard that works in ASIO driver mode, for super low latency (matters specially if you scratch much).

Such soundcards can be Soundblaster PCI card, ESI U46dj USB card, or firefire cards.
A good Soundblaster 4.1/5.1 card will do fine.

You can also see a good diagram of the setup here:
http://www.virtualdj.com/blog/Dams/blog738.html

Hope that helps ;)

geposted Wed 13 Dec 06 @ 8:15 pm
hi all...
great stuff that was quick!!

getting the picture ... but still a little confused about my sound cards...
i have two... line in and line out on both... i have my mixer outputs going to the line in
at the moment ..(it works ok with atomix)... would i be right in thinking that if i used
my line outs from the software to the mixer this would work or am i barking up the wrong tree
( i could just go out and buy a usb sound card as shown in the blog link i was sent but trying not to spend more than i have to!!)
so far i understand my decks to mixer... mixer to pc (line in) what am i missing
again thanks for all the help.... i think i need it

dj jarvis

geposted Wed 13 Dec 06 @ 8:32 pm

With VDJ you can use two soundcards, that give stero out for each deck in VDJ, to an external mixer yes;)

But with timecode input from TWO turntables, you would need ONE soundcard that could handle that.
I dont think its even possible using two, and even if it was, I'd not recommend it. They wont have same latency, and might even conflict.

So, yeah, you kinda need to get a usb soundcard with two line ins.. But there are lots of them, and they arent too expensive. u46dk is one recommended one, or the better Soundblaster cards will do fine too.

Without timecode as controller, you can of course use your current setup with VDJ, where you mix with two soundcards, using VDK internally without timecode control.

geposted Wed 13 Dec 06 @ 8:54 pm
ok i think i have to get a new card
i have looked for the maya 44 usb sound card on the net but it looks not to be sold any more!!
does any one know of where i can get this or one that will do the same for about the same money....
again thank you all very much
dj jarvis

geposted Wed 13 Dec 06 @ 9:43 pm
Maya 44 usb is unfortunately discontinued yes...

A very good replacement is the U46DJ, that is still in sale, but might be sold out (popular).
Its actually kinda discountinued too, being replaced with new model around new years, but should still be available... .

U46dj is the recommended card for VDJ by the way, used by Dev Team :)

geposted Wed 13 Dec 06 @ 10:16 pm
ok one last question... i swear!!
i have typed u46dj into my google and im getting no luck...
do you have a link to where i can find out more or even to buy?
again thanks a lot dj in norway...
dj jarvis

geposted Wed 13 Dec 06 @ 10:22 pm

geposted Wed 13 Dec 06 @ 10:29 pm
ok i said this was the last but i keep running in problems....
i have downloaded the software v4.0 i think
can use it no problem... but when i try to broadcast with the url it gave me no one can hear it
it keep saying can not disply page,
any ideas.... is it because its a demo?

geposted Wed 13 Dec 06 @ 10:53 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004

geposted Wed 13 Dec 06 @ 10:58 pm
The demo is full functional for 20 days, so broadcasting should work ok. There are lots of possible causes for not broadcasting ok. For example a Router in your network. Lots of discussion about is already took place. Please type Broadcast or Shoutcast in the search bar and you will find some threads with usefull information.
Ewout

geposted Wed 13 Dec 06 @ 11:01 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)