Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: My First Video Mix... - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

After seeing Icy Ice's video mix yesterday, I decided I'd finally get round to having a go!

I've been setting VDJ up for video for like a year, but nowhere I work at the moment has the facility to actually put them on their plasma's! So this was the first time I've got round to plugging an external screen and recording the result.

I'm not really a scratch DJ, so I've just tried to choose tunes that fitted together nicely.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1rjjf_hiphop-rb-video-mixtape-vol-1

Commets/Suggestions/Job offers please!

Andy.

:)

geposted Fri 20 Apr 07 @ 1:56 pm

geposted Fri 20 Apr 07 @ 2:21 pm
I'd be interested to know how you recorded the video.

geposted Fri 20 Apr 07 @ 6:12 pm
Cheers for embedding whoever did it.

Recording was a bit of a long winded process!

I've got a laptop with DAC-3 and maya 44 usb which i gig with, and i've got a pc which i use the rest of the time.

The important bit i guess is that I've got one of those TV tuner cards (winfast DVT 1000) for my PC, and that's got an s-video input for recording with. So plugged the s-video out on the laptop into the PC.

The TV tuner software has a load of options for recording TV and the inputs, so I recorded the input at DVD quality. The quality wasn't great to be honest, but not bad (bit of noise i think).

Then i plugged an output from the maya into the line in on the PC for sound. The thing was that sounded horrible (cheap pc sound card) so i recorded the mix within vdj as well and then re-dubbed the bad sound in sony acid afterwards.

After all that I used "Super" (by eRightSoft) to convert the mpeg2 into an H.264 mp4 (500kb/s video) for uploading onto the web.

Anything else you want to know, just let me know. :)

geposted Fri 20 Apr 07 @ 7:02 pm
That's a lot of editing to do for a demo-mixtape.

Nicely done by the way.

I've been getting a lot of people from the Club asking me for another Youtube Vid - they seem to be a local hit so the next one I do might include video - but more than likely just video effects on slideshow.
People want to see themselves on youtube - kinda guilty thrill.

geposted Fri 20 Apr 07 @ 8:09 pm
Thanks. Yeh, it was loads more effort than i expected. It just takes hours to re-encode 20 minutes of video! And even after all of that, I was so annoyed, the last mix you see was meant to turn out better. Where you first hear the "mo money mo problems" track i was trying to jump to the accapella part of the timbaland tune, but i think i pressed the wrong button, Doh!

I've just looked at ur blog, cool videos of the club. What software did you use to make them? Interactive stuff like putting photos from nights onto a website, or even video's like you've done definitely seems to be catching on. It's pretty cool for people to have a reminder of their night out, especially if you can get on youtube!

geposted Fri 20 Apr 07 @ 8:54 pm

NIIICE video Andy! ;) love it..

Thanx for doing the effort of producing one for the forum...

Great one

geposted Fri 20 Apr 07 @ 9:07 pm
KregCZPRO InfinityMember since 2005
The way I record my video mixes is by using a DVD recorder with a s-video input.
Real quick and easy to setup & record and it dosn't take up much space in the booth.
If you want to edit it, just rip it back to your hard drive.

geposted Fri 20 Apr 07 @ 9:07 pm
andytaylor125 wrote :

I've just looked at ur blog, cool videos of the club. What software did you use to make them? Interactive stuff like putting photos from nights onto a website, or even video's like you've done definitely seems to be catching on. It's pretty cool for people to have a reminder of their night out, especially if you can get on youtube!

The Screenshot video of VDJ that shows the HDC skin (still my fav skin btw) that was done by pointing a webcam at the monitor and mixing with VDJ

The Slideshow Vid was Done by placeing the Photos in Windows movie maker - and then recording the mix with my line in on my second desktop soundcard line in.

The Live Vid of people dancing to Hard Rock, was done with Windows Movie Maker as well and a Sony Cybershot digital Camera.

The Hip Hop Mixing Tutorial was done with VDJ and a DAZZEL video capture card. I also bought a little video signal converter that takes a vga signal and converts it to s-video It's not the best quality - but it's good enough for youtube. I'm going to be getting a much better capture card for my actual self-promo mixvideos. hopefully one that accepts vga-in, or has "video soap" a utiliy from redeon.

And people like seeing themselves on youtube. I think it's the whole 15 minuts of fame thing.

geposted Fri 20 Apr 07 @ 9:30 pm
ktilakPRO InfinityMember since 2006
very nice mix, love the song choice. although have you tried separating faders? it seems the video does a lot of back and forth with the audio during transitions instead of a smooth visual fade or transition.

but really- love it.

geposted Fri 20 Apr 07 @ 11:46 pm
DJinNorway (Rune?) Thanks for your comments. Watching it back, there's a few rough edges that could do with tidying up, but considering I only had my small PC speakers for sound, I'm quite chuffed with it really :)

Good idea about the DVD recorder Kreg, they're quite cheap now some of them. Hopefully next time I get a new comp it'll be powerful enough so I can run Frapps (on screen recorder software) as well as vdj (i heard the quality is meant to be quite good, but haven't tried), that way I can record at gigs easily for a bit of critical analysis afterwards.

geposted Sat 21 Apr 07 @ 12:03 am
Marcel, I've never heard of anybody having sucess with windows movie maker! From what other people had said I thought it was unusable. :)

Ktilak, the crossfader was actually just for the video transitions, I only used the ups and downs for the audio, but I think you're right about some of the video crossfades, got a bit carried away trying to make it look more interesting!

Next one i think I'm going to try a "less is more" approach. Might try just using the Transition enable buttons to see how it looks when you just leave it up to the software. Can concentrate a bit more on the audio mix then as well!

Thanks for the input :)

geposted Sat 21 Apr 07 @ 12:31 am
andytaylor125 wrote :
Marcel, I've never heard of anybody having sucess with windows movie maker! From what other people had said I thought it was unusable. :)

For Real high Quality movies - it does suck.

For Fun Stuff it works nicely; I can post a "Video Christmas Card" I made with Movie Maker that got rave reviews from the people I sent it to last Christmas.

If you want to have a peek I'll upload it.

geposted Sat 21 Apr 07 @ 2:06 am
Yeh, just for the hell of it if you're not busy.

The only experience i've had of it really is I tried to put an mp4 file in it- It didn't like that! then i tried to put a VOB file in it- wasn't too keen on that either!

geposted Sat 21 Apr 07 @ 12:44 pm
andytaylor125 wrote :
After seeing Icy Ice's video mix yesterday, I decided I'd finally get round to having a go...

THIS is exactly the response and action I was hoping to generate by posting our Visual Turntablism demo video.

Good job AndyTaylor125!

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

geposted Sat 21 Apr 07 @ 1:01 pm
Thanks for the comments :)

Like i said at the start, I'm not a scratch dj, but for this kind of thing, i can see that it can really enchance it (see your video!). Maybe i need to start looking into some decks!

geposted Sat 21 Apr 07 @ 1:11 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Nice one on the video, the only thing I don't like is the song titles appearing on the videos, do any services exclude that text?

geposted Sat 21 Apr 07 @ 4:48 pm
Thanks.

Yeah, the titles do distract from it a bit, especially noticeable on that everyday people track (and the cassie one too).

Most of my videos are from www.mixmash.com which don't have the titles on. They do have a translucent logo in the bottom right corner, but I think that dissapeared due to quality loss on converting. It's very subtle anyway.

Unfortunately, the "classic urban" dvd I've got (most of the demo!) is from promo only and they do put titles on all their tracks.

geposted Sat 21 Apr 07 @ 5:41 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Cool, speaking of quality, and considering how big screens are in clubs, wont the new HD/Blu Ray DVD quality look a lot better? especially when on HD ready screens.

geposted Sat 21 Apr 07 @ 9:25 pm
Yeah, definitely would look cool in high def!

To be honest though, i think DVD quality still looks pretty good, even on big screens.

Havn't heard of any companys trying high def yet. Imagine how big the files will be!

I've only been collecting videos for about a year and a bit, but I don't wanna even think about buying them all again in hd!

geposted Sat 21 Apr 07 @ 11:12 pm
91%