Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: External HD noise Please Help ASAP

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I am using a SEagate external , I have noticed a reoccuring problem, with both PCDJ and Virtual DJ . When I load a play list and then let it play... about 10 min... then I want to search for a new request, the Hard drive spins up to speed and this is heard like a Jet Engine Taking off over the house speakers. Its like it comes out of sleep. I have set my Power settings to NEVER sleep but it still did it. When I tried to recreate my problem just using my laptop (not hooked to my Mackie CFX 12, EQ, Compressor etc. I was unable to recreate the Whizzzz sound. Could this be due to having my External HD plugged into my Power strip that supplies my sound system (Mackie , EQ etc)

I was telling another friend of mine about this problem and he was clueless until he purchased a seagate and had the same problem with PCDJ two nights ago. Seagate says its not a known issue. I have experienced this with two seperate Seagate EXt. Hard drives.

thanks Michael
Please help ,

geposted Fri 04 May 07 @ 8:11 pm
Just make sure you have all your stuff backed up.....if you hear any clacking get a new hd.

geposted Fri 04 May 07 @ 8:28 pm
Sounds like a grounding issue to me. There are workarounds though..
One is to use another source that don't use the same fuse/circuit as the amp, eq etc, another is to use a ground cable from your laptop to some piece of metal (the mixer for instance), or by simply put a piece of tape on the ground connector of the power cord to the laptop (the last solution is not really a solution because it is not really the proper and recommended way of doing things - could be devestating). There are also other solutions such as using ground isolator or if the source is related to poorly isolated audio cables, which is solved by using better isolated audio cables.

geposted Fri 04 May 07 @ 8:30 pm
Thanks ... I currently use a Ground lift on my rack which is where the hard drive and computer are hooked up... Ground lift just removes the ground from the equation. I was getting a hum from my dell and when i use the ground lift , NO hum... all suggestions welcome. thanks Michael

geposted Fri 04 May 07 @ 8:44 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
funkturnal wrote :
if you hear any clacking get a new hd.

Not necessarily, sometimes you can repair the clusters and this sound by using Low Level format tool, which is special for every manufacturer, try to find it for Segate. But, it could get dead soon, it is 50% chances for that, so backup just in case ;)
The HD has constant speed, it can't work the way you discraibed above.

geposted Sat 05 May 07 @ 2:05 am
dear DJ-alf,
I spoke with Seagate and they sent a second hard drive because the first one was making the Whizzzz sound, The second one they sent (which is my current one) is doing the same thing so it isn't the hard drive. When the drive spins up (these are the words from seagate tech) this is when I experience the noise , its electrical in nature.
I'll have it backed up but its new and doing the same thing. thanks for your suggestions. Michael

geposted Sat 05 May 07 @ 7:35 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Is the sound happening only when starting the HD? That should be ok because it is speeding up but it is weird if it does it all the time. Do you use some other HD case or it comes in it? Can you try it on some other computer?

geposted Sat 05 May 07 @ 6:02 pm
Update on this situation... I played for 7 hours tonight and didn't hear the Whizzzz sound once. Now I did notice that my drive had become Idle several times but when I did a search , it started spinning up to speed and there was no audible whizzzz sound. I did take a suggestion and place my external hard drive away from my rack/ computer and took the power supply and moved it away as well. I believe this had something to do with it. Thanks and I hope this helps someone out.
Michael. Aka DJwouldliketoworkinaboobybar

geposted Sun 06 May 07 @ 9:21 am
The seagates automatically spin down the drives after 5 minutes of inactivity... the whirring you hear, followed by the 5 - 10 second pause is the drive spinning back up...

this is an energy conservation feature which is not able to disabled...

I have found that replacing all of my cables with balanced cables made a difference for me with the hard drive noise....

I could hear the drive working all the time, and it was annoying.... I accidentally discovered this when a Balanced 1/4" cable had come partway unplugged.....I could hear the hard drive searching... so i replaced all of my cables in my other system which had the same problem...and it fixed the noise issue.

geposted Sun 06 May 07 @ 10:51 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)