Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: I'm In Boggis's Gang - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

Well I had a DAC3 for quite a while and was using Jonathan Boggis's mapper. I took the plunge today and bought a DMC2, again using the new Boggis DMC2 mapper. I know Jonathan has gone DMC2 so if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me! Using it live for the first time tonight, had a play this afternoon and all seems very nice.

Anyone else for Jonathan's gang?

geposted Sat 26 May 07 @ 7:22 pm
Please post a review of it in real world use. I own a DAC myself but am tired of having to POKE the buttons 2 and three times before it responds.

Thanks, alex.

geposted Sat 26 May 07 @ 7:55 pm

The Numark DMC2 looks damn cool.. Please do post reviews..

- How do the buttons respond compared to DAC3 ?
- How well is it mapped to VDJ compared to DAC3?

etc;)

geposted Sat 26 May 07 @ 8:52 pm
Make it a video review on youtube PLEASE!!!!!!

Same goes for anyone getting a Total Control.

geposted Sat 26 May 07 @ 9:24 pm
The buttons issue can easily be fixed on the DAC3

Rusty

geposted Sat 26 May 07 @ 9:46 pm
Can anyone conform that the DMC2 works on the mac? neither numark nor Virtual DJ have answered me.

there's all these options for controllers in VDJ mac, and none of them work except for supposedly the hercules, which isn't my idea of a pro controller...

What about the Dac 2, dac 3, behringer bcd2000,? and most importantly... What about the DMC2?

Mine should be here wednesday, and I'm gonna' be pissed if it's not supported!

what gives with the mac side? I've been trailblazing, risking life and limb to test the mac in real world situations, but with no control options, it's a bit hard to use...

There's scores of people who I've been posting to on other boards asking me questions I can't answer...

are we committed to the mac, or not?

geposted Sun 27 May 07 @ 1:21 am
Ahh, so I'm not the only one that had to hit PLAY and CUE two or three times in a mix on the DAC3 just to get them to fire! This one was brand new too, and I tried another one at the shop just to see if it was just my system, and the same problem happend! I will note however that BOTH Dac3's seemed to fire every time, when I used them on PCDJ!

geposted Sun 27 May 07 @ 8:38 am
My DAC-3 started out good but after 2 or 3 gigs the buttons issue started, this was before i came over to VDJ. With PCDJ it was worse because of the way the software works (The play key doesn't make it jump back to the cue point) Which in turn made catching a mix a job in its own.

@ Rusty - It would be great if you could tell me how to fix this issue in the DAC

Thanks, Alex

geposted Sun 27 May 07 @ 5:08 pm
Won't have time to do a full review as I fly out to Ayia Napa on Tuesday. But, I like the DMC2, it's specifically aimed at VirtualDJ and actually looks a little like the interface, ie the row of loop buttons and the little padlock. The automix button in the middle is nice, and even nicer that it's a double click so that if you accidentally catch it you wont do a creative mix! Using the Boggis custom mapper with it, the buttons all feel very solid.

What I would like to see is a double click on the pause button restarting the track from the beginning like if you use the mouse on the skin as I use this a bit when my karaoke singers miss their cue.

But if you're considering one, go for it, I'm happy. I also find it a lot less complicated to use than the DAC3

If you want to know more, download the boggis DMC2 mapper as the txt file in there is very good and describes all the button assignments. Nice jon Jonathan.

geposted Sun 27 May 07 @ 6:32 pm
Steve Lynch wrote :
Can anyone conform that the DMC2 works on the mac? neither numark nor Virtual DJ have answered me.

Have a look in your Remote Control tab and see if the DMC-2 is listed there. If it is, and you can tick/untick it, then it should be supported.

If you cannot tick it, it probably means it's not supported yet, but will be in a future update.

geposted Sun 27 May 07 @ 8:19 pm
halo_djk wrote :
Ahh, so I'm not the only one that had to hit PLAY and CUE two or three times in a mix on the DAC3 just to get them to fire! This one was brand new too, and I tried another one at the shop just to see if it was just my system, and the same problem happend! I will note however that BOTH Dac3's seemed to fire every time, when I used them on PCDJ!

This is a very common problem with the DAC-3, but you can fix it (Usually permanently) by taking the DAC-3 apart (Disconnect it from the computer first!) and spraying each microswitch with contact cleaning spray (The type you use to fix noisy faders with.)

You need to spray the button and the press it lots of times to work the spray into it. Do this for all the problem buttons and then repeat the procedure again 2-3 times. Put the DAC-3 back together and it should be working great.

The DMC-2 has much better quality switches and does not have this problem - I have been using one now for several months and the buttons still work just like new (Never missed once.)

geposted Sun 27 May 07 @ 8:24 pm
Some of the main differences between the DMC-2 and DAC-3:

• Text display (Artist/title, effect/sample name, etc.)

• Parameter knob for selecting/activating effects, samples, etc. and file/folder browsing.

• 4x pitch precision of the DAC-3 - 0.02% adjusstments at 12% pitch range vs 0.1% adjustments on DAC-3.

• High quality buttons. Main buttons are also dimly backlit when inactive to allow easier location in the dark.

• Dedicated video and audio fading buttons.

• Button layout better suited to VDJ/Cue rather than PCDJ - E.g: Loop buttons, Hot1/2 for hot cues, etc.

geposted Sun 27 May 07 @ 8:27 pm
jpboggis wrote :
halo_djk wrote :

This is a very common problem with the DAC-3, but you can fix it (Usually permanently) by taking the DAC-3 apart (Disconnect it from the computer first!) and spraying each microswitch with contact cleaning spray (The type you use to fix noisy faders with.)

You need to spray the button and the press it lots of times to work the spray into it. Do this for all the problem buttons and then repeat the procedure again 2-3 times. Put the DAC-3 back together and it should be working great.

The DMC-2 has much better quality switches and does not have this problem - I have been using one now for several months and the buttons still work just like new (Never missed once.)

Unfortunatly this was a brand new unit, and I tried another one, with the same results! As it was still under warranty I'd rather not go opening them up, moreso because they shouldn't come out of the factory like that.
Back to the old Dac2, and maybe a DMC2 sometime in the future!

geposted Mon 28 May 07 @ 11:30 am
jpboggis wrote :
Steve Lynch wrote :

Have a look in your Remote Control tab and see if the DMC-2 is listed there. If it is, and you can tick/untick it, then it should be supported.

If you cannot tick it, it probably means it's not supported yet, but will be in a future update.

Yeah, one would think, but nothing in there works... I can tick / untick the bcd2000, and it doesn't work, nor does the dac-2. so that doesn't seem to mean aything...

geposted Mon 28 May 07 @ 2:45 pm
halo_djk wrote :

Unfortunatly this was a brand new unit, and I tried another one, with the same results! As it was still under warranty I'd rather not go opening them up, moreso because they shouldn't come out of the factory like that.

Well thankfully the DMC-2 does not have this problem.

It's very bad for a professional product like what the DAC-3 was supposed to be to have this problem. Not sure if it's resolved on newer units, but doesn't matter now that the DMC-2 is available.

The DMC-2 is based on tried and tested actual hardware of a professional CD player (Numark CDN-95), so it should be more reliable.

When my DAC-3 went faulty, I was sent a replacement (Which also went faulty after a couple of months), but they never collected the old one, so after a few months, I decided to have a go at fixing it myself and was very successful and it worked eversince.

geposted Mon 28 May 07 @ 7:41 pm
Steve Lynch wrote :

Yeah, one would think, but nothing in there works... I can tick / untick the bcd2000, and it doesn't work, nor does the dac-2. so that doesn't seem to mean aything...

If the Numark Total Control is supported on the Mac, the DMC-2 might be too. No way to tell unless somebody actually tries the controller. The fact that the option for the controller is there means that it will probably be implemented in the near future.

geposted Mon 28 May 07 @ 7:45 pm
Thank you jpboggis for the dac3 repair tip.

geposted Mon 28 May 07 @ 7:50 pm
halo_djk wrote :

I really am happy with my DAC2 - might be old tech, but damn it's a tank - buttons still work - sliders are still tight, and thanks to cstoll - fully compatable.

geposted Mon 28 May 07 @ 8:22 pm
muzzaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
The buttons not responding on the DAC3 seems to be a very common problem.

I purchased mine new from USA only to have it play up when the warranty ran out. (90 days only!!!!)

I contacted Ted Kruger from PCDJ to have them give me replacment tactile switches, to which he decided to respond after a wait of two weeks with an $85 charge for 6 switches.

Absolutely rediculous considering it is a common fault in the unit. Just take a look at PCDJ forum.

It took a mere 5 minutes to dismantle the unit and another 5 minutes to remove and replace the faulty tactile switches that i purchased from an electronics shop for 25c each.

here is the info on the part should you want to repair yourself.

radial tapping tact switch. 6m, 4.3H black through hole tactile

i have never had a problem since replacing. Works first press, every time!!!

geposted Tue 29 May 07 @ 11:16 am
I got all the main tactile switches on my DAC3 replaced for £20 at my local electronics shop in Edinburgh. Before that they were sticking and not responding but now all the buttons work incredibly well. The guy who repaired it said the original tactile switches were very cheap crap.

Where can I buy the DM2 in the uk? DJ store say it's not available..

geposted Wed 30 May 07 @ 1:40 pm
95%