Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Hands up if...

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
YOU BUY YOUR OWN MUSIC....

Those of you that do, Please state here how much money you spend on music each week?, and how big your song libary is?..,

it's better that the people who download music illegally don't comment here and don't lie...

Those of you that have tens of thousands of mp3's, i can guess you probably don't.

I bought all my own music from day one of useing mp3, I don't have as much music as i'd like, and can't always buy all the songs i'd "like", but I couldn't mix music if I didn't respect it enough to pay the price...

geposted Fri 24 Sep 04 @ 1:09 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Ok I'll go first......

I subscribe to Promo Only for Mainstream Radio, Modern Rock and Hot Video.
I subscribe to Screenplay for Country video.
Select Mix for the remix stuff.
Total is $200 per month + the local purchaces.

I can rip in my sleep and have done so ripping video lately.

I do not use the internet for music.
Pain in the ass to wait for P2P users, corrupt and incomplete files not to mention the legality of it all.

Technically, remixes aren't legal but they get away with it.
Fortunately for my age I have much of the 70's and 80's anyway, the rest I just bought compulation sets to fill in.

geposted Fri 24 Sep 04 @ 2:54 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
I use ERG nu music tracks

and screenplay for urban video

Select mix for remixes

totals are about 100 a month

geposted Fri 24 Sep 04 @ 4:52 pm
Same here with the Promo Only's. It's been terrific! Modenr Rock, Mainstream, Urban, COuntry and Club. I have thousands of old CD's from collecting for year. Yes thousands. Most of them now ribbed. Almost got divorced for two months of spending more time ripping cd's than with my wife. Well, got through that OK I guess. Now into my seventh year... :)

geposted Fri 24 Sep 04 @ 5:59 pm
DachPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I think it's impossible to be any kind of serious DJ and NOT buy music. Even those DJ's I know who really get their name out there and are aggressively serviced by labels still buy a sizeable percentage of their music. Honestly, with some 8,000 songs on my computer, I'd say maybe a couple dozen of those came from P2P. It's too unreliable a way to get music. Servicing is great, but you can't get everything that way. I'm currently slowing down my music purchses, as I'm diverting spending to acquire technology, but I typically buy at least one new CD a week.

Däch
http://www.closedcaskets.com/

geposted Fri 24 Sep 04 @ 10:14 pm
I just want to tidy something up in my head :),

What would be the difference legally and to the rights you have with music material, if say I was to go onto the ministry of sound site..., and pay for 10 dl's of my selected tracks..,

To going to hmv in town and buying the latest ministry of sound compilation?.

Is their a difference?, I sopose if you own the cd's you have proof of purchase...

geposted Sat 25 Sep 04 @ 1:52 pm
That is another good reason to avoid DL'ing music.
And, not only that but if you don't have it backed up you are screwed without the original.

With the encoding and the terms of use by most of them it just becomes too much of a pain the the rear IMO.

But, if you can't AFFORD to pay for your music, that presents another set of reasons to steal it.

With the ease and availability of cracked mp3 players and even Winamp, you can start DJ'ing with practically zip.

geposted Sun 26 Sep 04 @ 5:56 pm
Well,
I personally think it's a tough one, their are some countrys where music is only avaliable in shops as copys, and because of their economy they couldn't afford to buy the originals anyway, so it's not the ideal world. I wouldn't forbid these people to have music and to have dj's in clubs who haven't really payed for the music.

Another thing, their are far too many dj's out there, ok many are bad (at it), so you have to think a little, how in a club you are expected to have all the latest chart music (b4 it's avaliable on compilation), now the cd singles are very expensive for the material you get.

If you were getting frequent gigs, then it would only be reasonable that you buy all your music, and that to me is a pleasure (to buy music).

But, imagine a talented dj who can't get a gig, no real income, and can't afford to buy the latest music all the time, so if he was to eventually get a gig, he would be restricted by his not so recent music collection, so it ends up that the working dj's are able to afford the music (and not always very good), and the more talented dj's out there who are struggling to get gigs haven't got the budget to back them up.

So it's a bit of bad situation. And so competitive.

Therfore it could be considered a great advantage to dl music for many dj's.

My point here really is that it completely depends on peoples circumstances and what they believe.

Although I buy all my music, i'm tempted to dl'ed the less credible music out there, and only buy dance music (what i live for!)...

The problem in the music industry really is that the artists are becoming rich, very fast and very easily, many of them aren't really talented or work hard, work hard compared to the average joe lets say...,

It's the average joe that's making them rich, as he's working hard all week, and being left short in money because of overpriced music, To listen to music in the presence of alot of woman and through a big sound system he must pay to get into clubs, then pay for disgustingly overpriced alcohol too..., here's the funny part, the dj in that club is earning £150 for that night, and all his music was dl'ed free off the net!!.

So do we all stay as slaves to society?, rebel?, cheat? or just hope that one day we become famous enough to buy any amount of music?.

geposted Sun 26 Sep 04 @ 7:17 pm
Actually Bag, not so.....

Statisically speaking 1 in 10 songs charts hard enough to offset the losses that the labels bear for the most part (average).
It is that 1 song that is charting and being profitable that is getting ripped off through P2P sharing.
This gets to be a long winded discussion based on net return for the most part, and the artists are usually making $2.00 on a $13.99 album. The labels are the ones overcharging and getting rich, but they are making up for the losers along the way also.
Sure, as consumers we are ripped off by one hit wonders where we buy 10 songs we will never play and pay a premium for it. That is what fuels the P2P problem, that is what I ment by long winded. It is a very complicated problem. The other problem is that in different countries laws differ, and that contributes to the problem through the lack of enforcement of laws. So in many cases it becomes impossible to stop based on the reasons listed above.
None of us know wherer it is going in the next 10 years, but something has to give soon. There are some DJ exclusive sites (member) that do some P2P sharing and alot of it is remixes and hard to get tracks. This kind of sharing I feel is OK because it is music that is lost and forgotton (out of print or obsolete) or created by 3rd party artists (remixers).
I would have no problem sharing with other DJs on a professional level. But the likes of the "for sale" dl sites and the other P2P sites, I have no interest in at all, they just fuel the problem for working dj's buying music and the labels who if damaged badly enough would have drastic concequences to the whole industry.

geposted Sun 26 Sep 04 @ 9:14 pm
Ok mp3rick

You mean not entirely so...

Many laws in other countries aren't brought in with good reason, I have no problem with people getting music without paying, if this is their circumstances. But regardless of profit margines, I'm aware of the sort of money that can be made through a hit single...

But thinking deeper is it really right?, how commercerlism and lusty woman can sell music, eric prydz is currentely a famous example, ok it's a nice piece of work..., but I assure you that a good half of that songs popularity has come from the video...

Such people who make alot of money are nothing but cheap traders, i'm very aware also how these videos are posioning society, especially the young. I just see it as something very unrightious and wish money could go to good cause and not make some cheesy guys more spoilt than they already are...

I have a great respect for music that is music, and doesn't usually make commercial success, such music is very refreshing, and lets face it, it's usually better on the more underground scene.

My arguement isn't very good for the point i'm trying to make, but I know what I mean. I know i'm being controversial and anti-modern, but we can't all be followers...

geposted Mon 27 Sep 04 @ 12:05 am
Bag,
Having a point of view is very important no matter what the perspective is.
And, I mean "not entirely so", as I don't know the world wide perspective on things.
In this country where we have laws for just about everything, I have to say some are good and some are bad, none of which I can change.
IMO the laws in place to protect the labels, indirectly the artists, and are there for a purpose. The P2P thing and the over charging by the labels has really hurt all concerned.

IMO if you are using music commercially (to make money) you should be buying libraries. That is the law here and I morally agree with it. Your opinion might be different if you had spent thousands of dollars on libraries and were competing with Joe dirtbag with his stolen net library working your already limited customer demo.
Its all perspective Bag, things will change with time in this regard.
And, for the sake of everyone here knowing, you can usually do quite well buying back issue compulation sets from the promo companies and Time Life etc...
I don't know what the world wide laws are on playing promotional music though, just another unknown for me.
I know they have trouble shipping to Canada for instance.

Being HEAVILY involved with the music video world I agree with you that much work is needed to make video a successfull media. Video is used to market music.
Funny how many DJ's and industry people have no clue about what the real meaning of songs are until they see the video. Probably because they can't understand the camoflaged/edited lyrics. I have had arguements about such songs as "Milkshake" with industry members that had never seen the video and were guessing what the song was about.

I am all for music succeeding on it's own merits. I'd say let the artists create more music and the labels intervene less with what they feel they want to see effect sales.
I hear what is happening in the world because I stream music all day long from all over the world. I have always been intrigued by the amount of control the labels have over what artists get recording contracts and what the radio stations play or what we are allowed to hear as consumers.
And this is suposed to be a free country......
Business runs this country, let no one tell you different.
Because it's the labels who decide who gets a contract or not based on what they are looking for in a group.
The Diva, Boy Band, HH and Rap scene are a few of the examples recently.

Long winded hyjack of a thread, but good subject matter worth discussing.

geposted Mon 27 Sep 04 @ 12:52 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)