Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VDJ Video Help with new Graphics card - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

layrubrHome userMember since 2006
So i just got a new lap top and i think im going to spring for the VDJ pro and get into video djing. But when i fool around with video on vdj i have problems. The video will start stuttering but the audio will continue to play when i load other deck also it sometimes does it at random and wont get out of it unless i pause and start the video again. here is my setup

Thinkpad t61
2.2ghz core 2 duo
2 gig ram
512mb Nvidia Quatro Nvs 140

my processor and video card should be plenty to run within problems right

i have set all my video card settings to make the card optimized Also when i set it to no use hardware excelleration it fixes it but of coarse its choppy. I have even got the latest direct x update.

What can i do more?

geposted Sun 08 Jul 07 @ 6:36 pm
what is your operating system ?

i think your problem starts right after the bit where you said " i just got a new lap top "

there are any number of tweaks you might need to fix this ..... sometimes if you just uninstall, reinstall and this time make sure the anti virus is off will do the trick.......

what are your video settings under config in VDJ ...

geposted Sun 08 Jul 07 @ 8:04 pm
Im running XP.

reinstall Virtual dj with the anti virus off. Why turn the anti virus off?

my video settings are use hardware excelleration and hide logo and song title. Thats its

geposted Sun 08 Jul 07 @ 8:22 pm
Hmm, the Quadro series of cards are better optimized for professional use than they are gaming. In this sense, it should be a good card, as it is about the same power as the Go 7600 but better for video/cad type applications. 512mb seems to be large for a laptop card, are you sure it's 512mb and if so, is it all dedicated.

geposted Sun 08 Jul 07 @ 8:51 pm
GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I've got an NVIDIA card in my HP laptop with 512mb dedicated. They are out there.

Gary

geposted Sun 08 Jul 07 @ 11:13 pm
Indeed they are. But it is much more common place to have a 512 card with only 128 or 256mb of discrete memory and the rest shared. 512 cards usually only show a performance gain at high resolutions, and when doing video at dvd resolution and outputting at 1024x768 or 1280x768 type resolutions, there won't be anything in it between a 512 card and a 256 card. This is mostly irrelevant for VirtualDJ as the software reads video as is needed rather than putting the whole thing in memory; uncompressed video using RGB, YV12 or YUY2 color schemes are extremely large so this isn't the fault of the software.

geposted Sun 08 Jul 07 @ 11:34 pm
My specification states the card is 768mb memory made up of 512mb dedicated memory with an additional 256 shared. Not quite sure why it has so much. I wish i knew how to reduce the 256 shared bit to 0 as i have no use for it. I'm not sure if it only uses it if it needs it or what. I'm not that clued up on the matter.

Gary

geposted Sun 08 Jul 07 @ 11:42 pm
Yes i have checked and rechecked that it is indeed 512mb of dedicated memory. I relize it is weird that it is not working correctly and that is why i am needed help. 512 is plenty for what im doing. My question is how to fix it? I have heard vista takes better advantage of graphics excellerators does that have anything to do with it? Any other possibilities.

geposted Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 12:32 am
Maybe try changing the graphics driver. Rather than using windows/microsoft update, download the driver from the laptop manfacturer.

NVIDIA do not make drivers for laptops, they only make the hardware. The driver the laptop manufacturer offers maybe different. It worked for me.

Gary

geposted Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 1:04 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
How about this -- what are the videos encoded as? MPEG, AVI, VOB?

geposted Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 1:05 am
Hmm, I don't know if that's true. Hardware acceleration in XP seems to be more than sufficient and in terms of Audio is probably better. Your card (I think) is DirectX 10 compatible which is a new feature in Windows Vista, but I doubt VirtualDJ will ever require or take advantage of DirectX 10 specific features.

geposted Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 1:05 am
They are encoded as avi.
but now im findig that if it is wmv its black an desplay's nothing. whould it have anything to do with codecs?

Im downloading a driver update that is 1 month never so i will see what happens but im alittle frustrated. I bought the laptop in hopes that 512mb graphics cars would be sufficient.

geposted Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 1:10 am
layrubr wrote :
They are encoded as avi.

Ok, now which AVI encoding - DivX, XviD, 3ivX, etc?
Also, have you tried changing from the Video Decoder to the Windows MediaPlayer video decoder?
How are things if you make that change?

geposted Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 1:16 am
they are divx avi.
How do you change the decoders i have not done that before

geposted Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 1:23 am
Go to the Config - The Codecs tab - click on the AVI entry and click the Change button.

geposted Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 1:41 am
That won't change the decoder. VirtualDJ will use whatever directshow decoder is set as the default for the particular filter graph. Changing this is complicated. It's reasons like this why FFDShow is such a good utility for windows users as it has the ability to decode just about everything and very well, including videos ripped from youtube without a transcoding requirement.

Skyfxl has made a whole load of tutorials on optimising your system, you could try giving that a go. Although Nvidia cards are apparently not so stable with VirtualDJ and video; I don't understand why this would be the case so I can't give you a technical explanation.

geposted Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 1:46 am
I have a Core2Duo laptop with a Quadro 1500M 512MB dedicated memory. I have no issues and I haven't had to do any "tweaks".

Can this be due to the particular video files you are using? Everything I run are uncompressed VOB files directly from Promo Only DVDs. I never worked with anything Divx or AVI so maybe that's the issue?

Maybe you can try to rip a few songs from DVDs and see if those stutter? Also you might want to consider doing a full format of the drive to wipe out all the OEM crap software and install XP manually. I did this and it works great. Make sure you backup your files first!

geposted Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 1:53 am
VOB files are simply MPEG2 files. They are most definitely compressed. There should be no reason that VirtualDJ would handle these files better than any other format other than the physical amount of resources required to split and decode the contents. The video cards in our computers do not have a chip for MPEG decoding unlike standalone units, it's all done in software. Usually a person will only have a hardware decoder in their system when they purchase a TV card.

geposted Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 1:57 am
Andrew87 wrote :
That won't change the decoder.

What? It's not changing the decoder it's changes the engine application.

Make the change and see the difference.

geposted Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 1:58 am
It doesn't change anything of any real relevance. The whole feature should be made redundant. VirtualDJ should try to play any file which you drag into it without this needless configuration, like any directshow based player does. The only purpose this screen should serve is which files are displayed in VirtualDJ's filebrowser. What do you propose you change video to? MP3 decoder? Not going to do anything for you. VirtualDJ as a player is very limited, you cannot choose which actual decoder to use for video. To do this you need to use a software called GraphEdit. I didn't want to mention it in my previous post because it is very possible to break playback of all files using it.

Edit: ok, just realised we were talking about two different things here cstoll, sorry! Yes, you are correct you can choose between two different decoding methods. VirtualDJ's own decoder, or Windows' directshow decoder.

VirtualDJ's decoder is referred to as "Video decoder"
DirectShow decoder is "Windows MediaPlayer video decoder"

Generally I prefer to use whatever decoders I have installed as my directshow decoder as I have usually picked it for a reason. (It's not uncommon to have several decoders which installed on a machine which are all directshow compatibile, e.g. nero, xvid, divx, libavcodec - and whilst they can decode each other, one may prefer to use a certain one. Not to mention that VirtualDJ's own decoding engine has terrible sync issues :-(

geposted Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 2:01 am
83%