Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: 25 years old

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

the compact disc turned 25 yesterday .........

geposted Sat 18 Aug 07 @ 5:46 pm
Neat facts from wiki:

The first Compact Disc for commercial release rolled off the assembly line on August 17, 1982, at a Philips factory in Langenhagen, near Hanover, Germany.

A CD is read by focusing a 780 nm wavelength semiconductor laser through the bottom of the polycarbonate layer

The first title released was ABBA's The Visitors (1981)

In June 1985, the CD-ROM (read-only memory) and, in 1990, CD-Recordable were introduced, also developed by Sony and Philips.

The pits and lands themselves do not directly represent the zeros and ones of binary data. Instead, Non-return-to-zero, inverted encoding is used: a change from pit to land or land to pit indicates a one, while no change indicates a zero

I love learning at work.

in 2004, the annual worldwide sales of CD audio, CD-ROM, and CD-R reached about 30 billion discs.

The original target storage capacity for a CD was an hour of audio content, and a disc diameter of 115 mm was sufficient for this. According to Philips, Sony vice-president Norio Ohga suggested extending the capacity to 74 minutes to accommodate a complete performance of Beethoven’s 9th Symphony;[5] however, Kees Immink of Philips denies this.[2] The extra playing time subsequently required the change to a 120 mm disc.

geposted Sat 18 Aug 07 @ 6:01 pm
I remember my first cd, Statler Bros. greatest hits (was a gift from my grandad along with my first cd player). hehe, wasn't really too big on country back then but I love that cd now;^]

geposted Sat 18 Aug 07 @ 6:03 pm
Flowers on the wall ?? never heard of 'em......lol

they could sing , had a certain sense of humor and poking fun at themselves ......( statler bros)

there's lottsa legends out there , what was the first recording , and why the size ........

i do tend to believe that the slightly strange length (74 minutes ) DID have to do with Beethoven's 9th ( the beacon to western civilisation ?? ) ??!!

geposted Sat 18 Aug 07 @ 6:06 pm
Incredibly nice and down to earth guys too, Harold used to help coach my little league baseball team. Even though I didn't appreciate it much back then, I do miss their happy Bday USA celebrations back home in Staunton.

Flowers On The Wall did you know, was written about western state hospital?;^]

geposted Sat 18 Aug 07 @ 6:11 pm
you know them ... wow cool i didn't know that about the hospital.........

geposted Sat 18 Aug 07 @ 6:13 pm
lol... Yeah, but to be fair so do most of us from staunton, they never really did hide from us at all;^]

geposted Sat 18 Aug 07 @ 6:14 pm
to me the statler bros and the everly's are fantastic singer/ songwriters .... iconic

geposted Sat 18 Aug 07 @ 6:20 pm
i remember back in the day i had my new cd player which was at least $300 ......and i had one of those programmable turntables ...... can't remember the name of the tt .......

geposted Sat 18 Aug 07 @ 6:23 pm
No doubt about that, they used to have gypsy hill park overflowing with fans every 4th of july. If you're ever going through staunton make sure to stop & visit the statler museum, hell you might even see them in person there, it's happened plenty of times before;^]

geposted Sat 18 Aug 07 @ 6:26 pm
chucknorrisyouwimps wrote :
the compact disc turned 25 yesterday .........

Yeah, and I worked for Philips in the UK at the time, on the launch of CD. Hard to believe that a lot of people were saying that CD would never catch on.

Happy days. I did demos all over the UK and trained the staff in the retailers how to sell it.

geposted Sat 18 Aug 07 @ 8:20 pm
my first CD was bob seger and the silver bullet band live and my fav song from that album was katmando

geposted Sat 18 Aug 07 @ 8:32 pm
Y'know I can't remember what my first CD was.
I remember my first 8-track: KISS - Dynasty
I remember my first Vinal - ZZ TOP - Eliminator.

Damn'ed if I can remember my first CD.

geposted Sat 18 Aug 07 @ 8:55 pm
How do I fit this CD thing into my IPod?

Just kidding!

geposted Sat 18 Aug 07 @ 9:05 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
It made me laugh inside the other day when a DJ friend of mine said "I'm converting people from Vinyl to CD all the time", as if CD is something new hehe.

geposted Sun 19 Aug 07 @ 1:53 am
*Several posts were deleted due to the nature of the content*

geposted Sun 19 Aug 07 @ 2:07 am
Idiots can mess up a conversation about CD's???? Geeeesh.

geposted Sun 19 Aug 07 @ 2:43 am
Bagpuss wrote :
It made me laugh inside the other day when a DJ friend of mine said "I'm converting people from Vinyl to CD all the time"...

Hehe.

Meanwhile, we're converting dj's that one to get more serious and build their performance skill level, from cd to vinyl all the time.

Go figure.

Both VDJ's and Numark's recent focus on TCV solutions proves that there's market demand for existing as well as new digital turntablists, especially here in the U.S. =)

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

geposted Sun 19 Aug 07 @ 3:21 am
ronny582 wrote :
Idiots can mess up a conversation about CD's???? Geeeesh.

I wouldn't say idiots, more of a mistake ;).

geposted Sun 19 Aug 07 @ 12:25 pm
fortunately i never saw the offending bits ........ @ apopsis that was interesting ..... so why was the length 74 mins ???

geposted Sun 19 Aug 07 @ 3:25 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)