Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Relocating files

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Okay, VDJ5 has a brand new filebrowser with all the sorting and searching possebilities i need. GREAT!

One thing though. As VDJ didn't have these possebilities before, i have sorted my files in different directories. Now i want to put all my files into one directory and sort it all using ID3 tags. How can i move all my files to one folder without losing my precious cue points, comments and such?

geposted Tue 11 Sep 07 @ 2:37 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
WHY? Just leave it and use the filter folders, Genre browser, etc.

You don't want all your stuff in 1 massive directory structure on your hard drive. There is no benefit to it and only problems for the long run.

geposted Tue 11 Sep 07 @ 4:08 pm
Why? Mostly because i don't want to do double work: i just want everything to be sorted in VDJ, but i don't care if it's sorted on my harddrive. Which problems might it cause later?

geposted Tue 11 Sep 07 @ 4:38 pm
It's not problems from a VirtualDJ issue as it is a system performance issue of file management.

Here are some stats on Maximum files based on partition formats

FAT
4GB Max File Size
4GB Max Volume Size
512 Files Per Folder

FAT32
4GB Max File Size
2TB Max Volume Size
65,534 Files Per Folder

NTFS
No limit on Max file size.
256TB Max Volume Size (64KB Clusters)
4,294,967,295 Files Per Folder

Now you look at those numbers and you may say I will never hit those marks. But, have you ever tried in Windows to simply look then scroll through a file structure where you have several thousand files in one display/fodler?

Give you an example if you have an external drive - go to the root of that drive. Click on the Search feature and do a search for all your .mp3 files.
Now this will take a little bit to get the results - but that's not what I am talking about. Once the results are back, now try to scroll through the results. This is what you can expect for a performance if you start storing everything in individual folders and one mass chunk.

I am just trying to give you recommendation on why it's not a good idea. If you want to do it then that is still up-to-you.

If you do choose to do this, then you should use the VirtualDJ environment to move your data. Remember VirtualDJ does everything based on Absolute path location, if you move your files outside of VirtualDJ you risk losing the reference to your database data.

cstoll

geposted Tue 11 Sep 07 @ 5:42 pm
@cstoll

I too want to move my files. Why? Because I'm only starting to build up a big music database, and I'm slowly striving for a "perfect sorting solution".
However, I find it very uncomfortable using the VDJ enviroment to do this.
I would rather prefer using MediaMonkey to do all the sorting.

Obvioulsy I won't be changing files location forever, but, I have to do it now.
Is there any other way I can mantain VDJs info?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

geposted Tue 11 Sep 07 @ 11:18 pm
No, the moving should be done through VirtualDJ if you want to maintain the CUE point and analyzed information.

For All,

I still don't understand the desire to re-organize since now you are able to use utilities like the Filter Folders to maximize your environment and give you exactly what you want.

If you need help with understanding the Filter Folders just ask in the Filter Folder thread at the top of this forum. Or start a new thread with you questions. I will gladly help and advise a solution to get your database organized.

geposted Tue 11 Sep 07 @ 11:46 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)