Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VDJ 5.0: Search Bar Lag

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

We have TITLE, ARTIST, GENRE and YEAR implemented in our SEARCH BAR. When we search say for "1980" all the 80's music appears. This totals 3,085 files. When we click say the ARTIST COLUMN to sort by ARTIST a SORTING window appears which takes a long time to sort these files and actually makes the interface to VDJ 5.0 unaccesible. We have never really let the SORT finish since he takes a really long time. When we hit the STOP button, the program does NOT RESPOND according the the WINDOWS TASKBAR. Anyway to correct this and speed up the process?

Thanks

geposted Wed 12 Sep 07 @ 9:38 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Are you using a licensed copy ? If so, please register your product here --- http://www.virtualdj.com/fusers/modifuser.html

There is an entire post that covers the Sorting and Searching issues. The performance issue is optimizable and the instructions are available for licensed users.

geposted Wed 12 Sep 07 @ 9:49 pm
No we have the trial and would prefer not to move to the purchasing phase until this and other questions are addressed and corrected as in the case of the SEARCH LAG. We we're burned really bad with SWIFT ELITE and their Tech Support and ended up eating our investment. We do not wish to repeat this process again. We currently are exlusive users of BPM STUDIO whcih is extrememly fast but lacks the video addon features you offer. Before we purchase, we'd like a piece of mind seeing that the search lag is correctable on our system under our configuartion. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

geposted Wed 12 Sep 07 @ 10:38 pm
Let's start here --

Search Issues -

At first install VirtualDJ is only setup to search the Artist and Title fields. To get maximum Search you will need to select on the first circle just to the right of the search box and add the FilePath, FileName, Comments, Album, etc. by selecting them.

Now the key on quality of searches is if the Tag Data has been IMPORTED into the Virtual DJ database.

IMPORTING TAGS - Getting the database setup.

The quickest and easiest way to start this process is to RECURSE and use the 'Add to Search DB' options. However, depending on where you start your recurse and how large your collection is it could be slow in comparison to what you are use to. I recommend doing this in chucks. I don't know how you have your collections organized but if you use the first folder level below your Drive letter you should be fine.

But, before you do this let's talk about the Gather info Options because this is what influences what VirtualDJ will store to the database.
First time going through this process you should have the Tags option set to 'Read ASAP' so you can get the database built. After that you can change it to 'Read on Load' if you occasionally and files.

So lets start with the Artist and Title - depending on what you have set your Gather Info for Artist/Title in the Config->Browser tab you can get mixed results - if you have it as SMART, VirtualDJ will favor the FileName. Definition from the manual -
SMART – used for allowing VirtualDJ to determine what it should retrieve. If a field is missing from the traditional parsing of the filename and data resides in the ID3Tag then VirtualDJ retrieves the data.

If set to 'Only from Tags' then VirtualDJ will use the info from the tags (Not good if you have videos), If set to 'Only Filename' then the Artist/Title Tags are ignored. Here are examples of how that data is stored in the database.

SMART XML Entry
 <Song FilePath="D:\\CD_RipMore Soul 4 - Soul Street\\The Craig Woolard Band - I've Got A Feeling.mp3" FileSize="5891899">

<Display Author="The Craig Woolard Band" Title="I've Got A Feeling" Album="More Soul 4 - Soul Street" Color="3701395" Cover="2" Flag="7" />
<Infos FirstSeen="708311045" Key="D#m" />
</Song>

FILENAME XML Entry
 <Song FilePath="D:\\CD_RipMore Soul 4 - Soul Street\\The Craig Woolard Band - I've Got A Feeling.mp3" FileSize="5891899">

<Display Author="The Craig Woolard Band" Title="I've Got A Feeling" Album="More Soul 4 - Soul Street" Color="11061460" Cover="2" Flag="7" />
<Infos FirstSeen="708311048" Key="D#m" />
</Song>

TAGS XML Entry

<Display Author=" " Title="The Craig Woolard Band - I've Got A Feeling" Album="More Soul 4 - Soul Street" Color="5161114" Cover="2" Flag="7" />
<Infos FirstSeen="708311049" Key="D#m" />
</Song>

From this point again you can do a Clean and Clear once done.

Sorting

Yes the first couple times trying to sort or even retrieve the entire database can be interesting. Again recommend that you do this in chunks, it makes a difference in the long run. Recurse your folders like you did for the importing process - then click on the Artist column let it sort, then the Title column again let it sort. Do this for each folder chunk. When you have covered your whole collection. The type an asterisk * in the Search box and click on the Artist column - LET IT Work. Once done - click on the Title column - LET IT Work.

Now close VirtualDJ and reopen -- what is the performance like now?

Also, Please tell me :

What O/S are you running this on ?
How large approx. is your collection ?
Is iTunes installed on this machine ?

geposted Wed 12 Sep 07 @ 11:13 pm
A lot of info...thanks...i will do this and let you know how it works out...

Our setup is as follows:

TOSHIBA SATILLITE LAPTOP A105/DUAL CORE/INTEL
2 GB MEM
CREATIVE SB AUDIGY 2 ZS NOTEBOOK PCMCIA SOUND CARD
INTEL 945G SERIES VIDEO CHIPSET
WIN XP PRO SP2
ITUNES NOT INSTALLED
MUSIC DATABASE: 22,000 plus songs...(stored on USB 500GB EIDE HD)

geposted Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 5:16 am
Hope you aren't planning on doing video with that machine? INTEL 945G SERIES VIDEO CHIPSET?

If not should be good for MP3 play.

geposted Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 12:50 pm
Actually video plays smooth and fine. We have it setup with SLIDESHOW EFFECT on displaying our company logo when audio files play along with the TITLER EFFECT on both video and audio. Quite nice, smooth and very professional. We do have the latest driver installed for the INTEL 945g chipset from the manufacturer rather than Toshiba.

One question here before I gvie you an update on the lag/search issue....is there a way to bring down and up the video subsystem (screen) with a keyboard shortcut "on the fly". We use another program for our karaoke hosting as well as multiple "tickers" that display on the top screen and bottom screen during the karaoke portion of the show. As such, a hot toggle would be nice to bring your video screen up and down.

On the lag/search issue. Weird thing. I removed the built in GENRES folder from the view on the left browser and the searches were lightening fast. I believe the new GENRES feature may have something to do with the lag. I elected to lose the GENRES feature for now till the next incarnation of the product since GENRES can't be sorted as of yet.

Overall, an impressive product. Really there are only three areas that need to be "beefed up" or added to make this a complete all in one solution for us.

1. More features in the karaoke module (ie: singers rotation, singers name, key changer)
2. Ticker (s) with the option for multiple "stored" messages for "on the fly" selection.
3. SLIDESHOW EFFECT should be updated to select entire folders with the option to recurse to child directories and the ability to have mulitiple selections for saved slideshows for "on the fly" seleciton.

Other than that, it is the closest product we have evaluated to be almost a complete solution which is affordable.

Thanks,

Tuck

geposted Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 5:15 pm

geposted Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 5:19 pm
Thanks for your help...we still have one more package to eval before we make our decision. VDJ5 is the forerunner so far.

Thanks,

Tuck

geposted Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 5:43 pm
radiofcPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I have noticed this and please correct me if I am doing something wrong. The search is set to include filename, artist and track title and I type in "pos" and I can see the song "Postively 4th Street" by Bob Dylan which is what I would expect. Then if I type "bob" I get all Bob Dylan tracks among others which is also fine. But here is the thing if I type "bob pos" I get nothing back. Compare this with how winamp media library does it's searching of tracks based on tags and filenames and you will see what I mean. I would expect the tracks that match this criteria to be returned. Perhaps there is a setting I have not enabled but I have not found it yet. Cheers, S

geposted Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 6:44 pm
VirtualDJ is an exact string search. It is not a partial string comparison search which is what you are describing.

geposted Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 7:03 pm
radiofcPRO InfinityMember since 2006
okay well at least that's it explained. I think you know what I'd like but how and ever this will force me to do what I need to do anyway and that is tidy up my collection to ensure all tracks are tagged accurately...

geposted Fri 14 Sep 07 @ 11:58 am
I would look at a ID3 Tag tool and then once you have straightened out the tags simply re-import the tag info into VDJ. I am going through that process right now.

geposted Fri 14 Sep 07 @ 1:32 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)