Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Are You A Mic Jockey - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I just got off a 7 day cruise to Bermuda from Boston.
Naturally I had to go poking around the booth at the club on board.
Low and behold (stressing low), here I find a dj booting up and what is he running???

Well lets just say when he found out I was a support teamer he didn't want to talk anymore...if you get the drift.

So that kind of pissed me off, but not as much as listening to him and the assist cruise director pumping the crowd screaming over the music selling drinks and raffle tickets etc...

These types just bother me for some reason as they cruise on auto ego for the night announcing every song like they wrote it themselves.

But anyway, I just wanted some discussion on this with the pros and cons of yappin at people till they want to leave like I did.

Personally, I break the ice early on announcing my name and welcoming requests etc.. and only break for public announcements and dedications as much as I dislike them too.
Closing is another time I speak, but other than that I make the music move the people.

How about you?

geposted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 3:41 pm
When I was at The dance/Alt club I yapped - only to annouce the occasional drink special, or direct Doormen to fights, etc..

Now that I'm at the Strip club - the Mic is semi-permanently attached to my lips. Gotta be on that thing.

Different demands.

But that guys using a cracked version of VDJ and talking Inceasantly on the mic would get old.

geposted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 3:56 pm
DGeePRO InfinityMember since 2007
I agree with you Rick. The less said the better IMHO. I suppose in a club/bar setting, there is a requirement for more interaction with the audience than say a wedding but some jocks do get carried away and it is indeed an ego thing. "I have the mic and you will listen", sort of thing.

I'm not sure what it is like in other places but here on the East Canadian Coast, people want to hear the music.

-DGee

geposted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 4:10 pm
Marcel's right about the strip clubs ..... you better keep telling the ladies what's going on and basically ordering them around ( nicely ) over the mic , or any order you've managed to establish inspite of the ladies will evaporate instantly .....

i have a club and an individual i wanna report , but i gotta live with these schmucks , so may have to wait a bit more ......

geposted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 4:50 pm
Well i do get beat up quite a lot about not using the microphone...
I have never used it period..partly because their is no mic attached to my system
or simply i am not much of a talker...just think too much kills it and also
that perfect mixing and perfect selections is the highway to a great party

In the Caribbean there is this THING about MIC djs.. in fact this is how it works
There is the dj and there is the the mic man if you want to call it that
both work together as a team. dj informs mic man of the incoming song

Normally the mic man makes a witty comment which acts as a booster to the crowd
he does this just between the switch over of the new song.... (during the mixing)
the crowd then reacts to what he says especially if the new song introduced aftewards supports his comments
It is also used to switch the genre or to move from a high bpm to a low bpm too.

This is like a rave.. in the Caribbean....there are many famous duos.... Raz & Biggy... Jay and Bobo..Hottaballa & Vegas.. to name a few
It must also be noted that this type of environment if different from the club scene.... and is called a DANCE.. (Dancehall)
where most songs are held up like anthems

Club djs in the caribbean speak less.. if any at all... and they are more popular too.. There is just something about a smooth mix that just cant be beat....

THERE is IN FACT a STIGMA ATTACHED TO MIC USERS - most djs just figure they cannot mix.

geposted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 4:51 pm
any chance we're lucky , and you have a pic of the guy's face when you told him who you were , Rick ???

geposted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 4:52 pm
He was DJ Tony from Jamaica, no pictures.

I ran into him on Thursday and told him I had 5.0 with me if he wanted to see the latest build, and he looked at me and said "Yes" but I gotta go to the office for a minute. He asked if I was going to be around and I looked forward and aft and said, "well I can't go very far on this ship" but I will meet you here in 1/2 an hour.
Well he never showed up.
Then I left my business card on the console with a note with my cabin number if he wanted to leave me a message, never heard from or saw him again.

The cracks are too stable I guess.

geposted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 5:11 pm
I tell u guys and I tell you again

The number of persons using virtualdj are probably way beyond your estimation
At my school alone...every student with a laptop has virtualdj on his machine
or even further to say.. everyone how is below 35 and loves music has the software installed on their system
even if they cant use it

Every car sound that i know.. in my area is using virtualdj

i am beginnig to wonder if it comes pre-installed with Windows

Still trying to convince those who i think can afford it to legally own the software

geposted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 6:08 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I use the mic.....only when needed. I am not afraid of it, but there must be a time and place for it. Announcing every song, I would feel the need to approach the guy and politely tell him to shut the f up. My feelings on crack users is simple, if you can afford a computer you can afford the software. Especially a DJ working for a cruise company, I bet he only pays for a few of his meals.

geposted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 6:24 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I rarely use the mic:).. When doing events or weddings usually i will enganged one mc... When doing in private parties i just werk alone n another dj ..no mic included:)...

PS: I only use mic to sing a song..hehe...:P

geposted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 6:58 pm
A little "showing of your personality" say, during a song announcement or a bar announcement
draws attention to the fact that you have one ( a personality). People like that. I used to
notice that all the time before I was a DJ. Sometimes ppl shout out remarks, and a humorous comeback is always welcome, and again, shows you have a personality that is pleasant. People like that.

geposted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 7:16 pm
last night a customer said to me that i took a night that could have been boring and made it fun

geposted Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 4:34 am
Rick: We are not all like that.

I do everything from hard house to country to lounge. It doesn't matter what I do other than make the guests happy. It is not a contest to keep the dance floor packed rather too keep the lounge packed.

I have been on the Golden Princess 5 times now and do not plan on stopping anytime soon. They treat me like a star and I eat it up!

Anyway... Sorry about that and you are correct. A LOTof them are just as you describe.

Best,

geposted Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 5:01 am
In the old dayz (late 70's in new Zealand) I was using 45's and 12" 45rpm's when avialable.
I was Trained to speak between traks or should I say talkover track changes.
i aggrree that using a mic is one way to introduce a change in genre or bpm, and a good voicover can make the difference between keeping or losing a dancefloor (smallish crowds in nz).
However there haz been a marked trend aweay from using mics, so I no longer use a mic between every track!
But sometimes is appropriate, another tool for dj's to use.

geposted Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 7:24 am
im also in new zealand and dont use a microphone - i have been a belief that people are there for the music if they wanted to listen to someone talk they can turn on the radio. people ask me all the time to announce their request for their mates but i dont. they know the songs for them a quick nod to them is enough! id rather be known for the mixes than mic work.

geposted Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 12:40 pm
There are exceptions to this naturally.
Strip clubs where dancers are being announced, parties where guests of honor being announced, dedications of certain songs, announcements for birthdays and anniversaries etc...
But if you think guests are going to believe that you are the Kiss 102 daytime jock you are sadly mistaken.

And if you have ever been in a venue where multiple parties are being held and you hear that asshole in the next room, you will definitely know this type of dj.

The dude I am talking about is the one who bellows into the mic obviously listening to himself like he is announcing for the WWF wrestling groups riding his ego and the fame of the song he just played or is about to.

Definitely a school of thought here with how some djs are taught and trained.
Some of you guys have it and understand what I mean, some may be exactly what I detest in dj's.

It's just as easy to coax people to the dance floor with the right song as it is to be a clown on the mic.
How long or many hours do you really want to listen to this fool.

We all have our own styles, but this is an extreme.

And for God's sake, if you ARE a mic jockey, PAHLEEZE balance the output between the line and mic so it's not louder on the mic, that really pisses people off to the point of leaving your party or club.

geposted Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 12:54 pm
Years ago when I got into Dj'ing this is what I got told:

"The Dj Is THE #1 SOURCE of advertising in the bar"

You MUST announce drink specials (at least 4 times a night)

Upcoming events (at least 4 times a night), and any spot specials during the night (when applicable).

Also You MUST announce the Shooters girls, Prices of shooters, and where they are; at least twice

Another MUST announce is Beer tubs - again where - how much and what is in them; at least twice.

For a Strip Club - multiply those by 5

This was what was/is expected of me - and frankly what I would expect from any nightclub/bar dj. A good Dj can mix and work the mic.

I'm not on the mic constantly, but a fair bit; and it shows in the end of night ring out. I never got a cut of bar sales - I should have in my opinion, (at least 3%). But I always got tip-out from the Girls. Moreso from the Strippers and the serving staff. of the current club.

When it all washes out - money is why we do this.

geposted Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 5:38 pm
money's a bonus in my opinion

geposted Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 10:21 pm
Hey Rick, was the dj in question the ship's Dj ? Strange that the ship would hire that type of dj for such a cross-over audience. As Dlox explained, what you experienced is completely acceptable by certain dancehall audiences. It is also a ural thing that you may not understand.... although I am sure it wasn't a dancehall cruise (lol). But I would agree that it is very inappropriate for a cross-over audience and in that respect, that guy was an idiot for thinking that he was blazing.

geposted Fri 28 Sep 07 @ 5:48 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
dj marze

"money's a bonus in my opinion", not in mine, if someone is going to make money from my investment & effort i also certainly want a return on it, no matter how much i love the job, simple economics, keeps them and me on our toes...

Tayla

geposted Fri 28 Sep 07 @ 11:05 am
83%