Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: DEP error/crash on loading asio4all driver

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

The CPU NX (DEP) data execution protection kicks in when asio4all attempts to talk with VDJ when hw based DEP is enabled for all programs on Vista 64 bit.

Why should NX/DEP be always enabled?

- Because it makes getting malware on the computer that much more unlikely.

Why enable it for VDJ among other programs?

- You may play songs or videos not encoded by yourself. The statically linked libraries VDJ uses cannot be updated through Windows Update. Evil DJ Hacker could give you a specially crafted promo mix that now gives him backdoor to your computer because you didn't have NX enabled and there was a vulnerability in the decoding code. (which runs inside VDJ process but Atomix Productions may have no control over due its 3rd party nature).

I'm not buying that argument.

- You should still enable DEP for all programs because it has a loophole that allows it to be bypassed if not enabled for everything: http://www.nynaeve.net/?p=135

How sure am I that this DEP bug is a VDJ bug and not asio4all bug?

- asio4all works fine with other programs in the same configuration.

Isn't VDJ just incompatible with DEP?

- No because VDJ runs just fine with it on. Problem comes when talking to asio4all.

How to fix?

- Pages where code is purposely executed from (not a bug) should be marked as executable.

addendum/edit:
-Tested with Realtek HD audio.
-DEP error sent to Microsoft through normal reporting
-Subject should not say"driver" since asio4all isn't a driver, can't edit the post subject it seems.

Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: virtualdj.exe
Application Version: 5.0.0.2
Application Timestamp: 46d7ffb4
Fault Module Name: StackHash_8d13
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 03a2d6a0
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

geposted Mon 01 Oct 07 @ 8:21 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
i dont belive asio for all works on 64 bit systems

geposted Mon 01 Oct 07 @ 8:54 pm
Like I said above, it does work with other 32 bit programs in the 64 bit Vista with DEP - since it's not a driver, just an user-mode layer than can run through the wow64.

If you have 64 bit system, try getting the Reason 4 demo for example which is one app I tested asio4all with.

If DEP/NX is disabled then there is no problem and it works as expected. This leads me to believe the problem might just be issue with execution from piece of memory that's not marked as executable.

geposted Tue 02 Oct 07 @ 2:07 am
Both this and the other DEP crash "Crash on recurse / add to search db" still occur in v5.0 r4

Recurse:
Crash ID=0014c888 (date=710080708, version=5.0 rev.4, build=504, thread=Main, dump=8f059ec8, excode=c0000005 (8,14c888))

geposted Mon 08 Oct 07 @ 6:13 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)