Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Another thread about problems...

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

For those of you who can spare a minute I would need advice on the following situation (have spent 30+ hours the last two days reinstalling, testing etc + I had to cancel my radioshow yesterday):

First, things used to run as supposed (a week ago), now nothing works properly so I would guess I have some faulty hardware.
I use the MK2 as midicontroller and soundcard with headphones setting/internal mixer.

Problem 1:
After playing music for maybe 5 minutes the sound stops and no matter how I press play (on the MK2 or on the screen) nothing happens. it is not possible to get out of it. When I want to quit VDJ it says "Music are playing on...do you really want to quit?". The waveforms are paused.
After restart things works for a while again. I can force this to happen if I do something outside of VDJ on the PC. For instance starting Performance Monitor.

Problem 2:
At the same time (approx a week ago) when the problems with music stopping came up the sound quality on the MK2 also started to have problems. Now I hear a lot of crackles (no drop outs) much like a turntable with earthing problems.

Problem 3:
I have tried to connect the MK2 to a self powered USB Hub (D-Link with LEDs). Then the sound quality is perfect but VDJ will freeze/music stop after only maybe less than a minute. Problem = worse.

Problem 4:
So, even if I didn´t needed it before I thought I use the MK2 as the midicontroller only and plugged my old soundcard (M-Audio Firewire Audiophile) as soundcard. Works well, but after maybe 5 minutes of music the audio gets distorted more and more and suddenly the sound goes off and VDJ ends up in the freeze-state described under "Problem 1".

problem 5:
So, I disconnect the MK2. nothing connected to the USB ports whatsoever. Only VDJ and the M-Audio soundcard via firewire. Same problem! After approx 5 minutes the sound gets more and more distorted and suddenly VDJ stops the music.

Details:
I have tried with clean install of Windows Vista
I have tried VDJ 4.3, 5.0.0.2, 5.0.0.4 - exact identical behaviour.
The MK2 has the latest firmware...

Could it really be the computer itself? The M-Audio is via Firewire and the MK2 via USB, dunno...

My setup in detail:
-Laptop: Toshiba Tecra M7 (Tablet PC) with 2GB Ram
-Windows Vista 32
-Hercules MK2
-M-Audio Firewire Audiophile
-WD My Book Premium 500 GB via Firewire or USB (have tried both, works well)
-VDJ, have tried all the different versions. When everything used to work I was using 5rev2.

Is there a way to test the laptop in respect to USB functionality? I don´t want to send it to Toshiba if I don´t have to. They might keep it for a week and then saying everything was OK...
I have run the Vista Ram testing utility saying everything is OK...
What would logically be the next step in this situation...?

geposted Sun 14 Oct 07 @ 8:33 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004

geposted Sun 14 Oct 07 @ 8:43 pm
The MK2 does not show up in the list of IRQ channels but looks alright in the regular device manager list. Anyhows, Toshiba has released a new BIOS version a few days ago, will try that now and see if it helps...

geposted Sun 14 Oct 07 @ 10:23 pm
I have been looking at the IRQ list for some time now. Can´t find anything that looks like the MK2. But I notice that the videocard (nVidia Quadro) has the same IRQ (16) as the USB Universal Host Controller. I guess that is bad? Is it even possible in Vista to change interupts manually???
If someone can help...? Over here in Sweden it is late and raining, raining and cold so I need this to work or else...

geposted Sun 14 Oct 07 @ 11:53 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
it is not good that they are shared it means the mk2 is fighting for time directly with the video card

you can reserve irqs for certain hardware in the bios

geposted Sun 14 Oct 07 @ 11:59 pm
OK, thanks. I will talk to one IT-guy at my dayjob tomorrow to see if he can help me.

geposted Mon 15 Oct 07 @ 12:09 am
Rolled back to XP - everything is fine now. I know it doesn´t come as a surprise to anyone, but use of Ram is way less with XP (compared to Vista). With my 2 GB Vista still had to page like hell, with XP I´m safe. Still can´t handle the IRQs, and there are multiple devices with channel 16, but works the way it should so I´m happy.

geposted Tue 16 Oct 07 @ 9:39 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)