Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Question for the admins or Teamers

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Does virtual DJ work with Crossover mac, and if so, how well does it run Virtual DJ?

geposted Wed 14 Nov 07 @ 6:19 am
I brought up the possibility of porting the windows version of VDJ to Mac using WINE for Mac (aka CrossOver Mac... and what EA Games and many others are using to port their windows games/apps to Mac with minimal re-programming and performance degradation) and other options back in August when it looked like VDJ Mac development had hit a wall, but no one ever commented:

VT ConQuest wrote :
I don't know if it would help at this point, but has Atomix looked into CodeWeavers' "Crossover Mac" http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/ or Transgaming's "Cider"? http://www.transgaming.com/products/cider/

From CodeWeavers' CrossOver Mac page:
"Adding new Windows software is easy. Just place your install CD in your Intel Mac, and CrossOver will recognize it and offer to begin the installation process. CrossOver then completes the installation and configures your application to run on your Mac. That's all there is to it."

From TransGaming's Cider FAQ:
"Cider works by directly loading a Windows program into memory on an Intel Mac system and linking it to an optimized version of the Win32 APIs. TransGaming's Cider implements common multimedia Windows APIs such as Direct3D, DirectInput, DirectSound and many others by mapping them to Mac equivalents. This allows games to run with equivalent game play and performance but without the typical brute force porting effort typically required to bring games to Mac."

I just thought I'd throw that out there since these applications are apparently making it easy enough for game developers like EA Games and id Games to jump back on the Mac platform with their flagship titles.

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

geposted Wed 14 Nov 07 @ 6:41 am
so there isn't a response yet?

geposted Wed 14 Nov 07 @ 6:47 am
No, not yet.

But with VDJ 5 Mac around the corner, I don't see why a non-native Mac port of VDJ or Cue is necessary.

geposted Wed 14 Nov 07 @ 7:01 am
no, probably not...but beta 3 is far from perfect.

geposted Wed 14 Nov 07 @ 7:04 am
You should just Boot Camp windows like the rest of us.

Why risk taking the performance hit (other than the obvious fact that we have to use windows)?

Is THAT why you want it to work with CrossOver? To eliminate windows and all of it's inherent problems all together?

geposted Wed 14 Nov 07 @ 8:54 am
no, I don't mind windows. I have used it for years on many custom pcs. I was considering crossover because I didn't feel like installing windows again. I am looking to use these programs specifically:

C&C 3
Winamp 5
Office 2003

All are reported to work great with crossover. I really dislike switching to windows to run VDJ because I lose all of my itunes folder. Say, if I am at a gig and I want to cue up a track not in a windows folder, I can't use the built in itunes feature of vdj, or find the track easily. Macdrive kind of works, but I wouldn't trust it with windows itunes and/or vdj at a live show. It also seems to me that the windows VDJ just works better in general because a lot more development has gone into it. Beta 2 and Beta 3 are much better than 4.3, but what we really need is a stable as hell v5 for mac.

Ryan

geposted Wed 14 Nov 07 @ 9:07 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
crossover isnt that great with audio editors or players

have done some experiments and it just hangs

the operative word here is V5 beta

its not fully finished/perfect its a preview for people to get a feel of it

when it is released fully it will be perfect

as stated you can very easily use boot-camp , and use the windows version until then :)

geposted Wed 14 Nov 07 @ 2:19 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)