Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: time capsule, new apple tv, mac air

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
so much mac today I think i need a drink to recover apples servers are working overtime and their site is very slow for good reason. Anyone planning on getting any new Apple toys ?

geposted Tue 15 Jan 08 @ 1:20 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
i considered an air but it its 100 pounds less than a very high spec macbook pro in the uk so i wonder is it worth it

i like the time capsule idea il probably get that.

geposted Tue 15 Jan 08 @ 1:26 pm
d-v-intPRO InfinityMember since 2004
meh

Im unimpressed.

Was hoping for a sub 12". Its still too big and the screen resolution is too low.

geposted Tue 15 Jan 08 @ 1:38 pm
Well I don't think you could make cram enough guts into anything smaller than 12", but for DJ use it seems useless: only one usb port, no superdrive, fastest clock speed is 1.8 gHZ and only an 80 gig HD. It doesn't measure up to most DVS's minimum system requirements and you'd be sacrificing a lot of performance just to have something a lot thinner.

geposted Tue 15 Jan 08 @ 1:43 pm
d-v-intPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I agree I just don't think its small enough to warrant the loss in spec.

geposted Tue 15 Jan 08 @ 2:17 pm
MacBook Air will be fine for audio only dj's/turntablists and not too bad for visual dj's/turntablists (the Intel GMA X3100 graphic card in these is a LOT better than the GMA 945 graphic card used in the previous MacBook line and k_one says his MacBook works great with video) who will preferrably use an external drive that's considerably faster than the 4200rpm iPod drive that's being used in these.

I predict that we'll see these drop down to $1499 or $1599 by WWDC this summer replacing the high end black MacBook at that price point, and/or we'll see a nice update to them by that time that will make the price a lot more justified... possibly see this version at the lower price points I mentioned and a "Pro" version (dedicated graphics card)replace this one at the $1799 price point.

Regardless, the MacBook Air will ... ahem... "fly" off the shelves.

VT ConQuest (Visual Turntablist)
- ext. 8103 at www.PSSL.com
- FRodriguez@PSSL.com

geposted Tue 15 Jan 08 @ 7:03 pm
grugPRO InfinityMember since 2004
How can it possibly be a DJ solution when your quoted on another forum as saying "Yeah, I wouldn't recommend this notebook for rough transport or usage."

geposted Wed 16 Jan 08 @ 8:45 am
I wouldn't recommend it for rough usage, but that doesn't mean that it won't work for some or even most. I just tend to be a little more on the rough side when it comes to handling equipment.

I stated very clearly in that other thread that the MacBook Air combined with the optional $99 CD/DVD external drive and a faster external drive would be a fine solution for those that can take care of their stuff.

But I think that people, including myself, are under-estimating the durability of the MacBook Air the same way that most people underestimated the durability of the iPhone.

As a matter of fact, I WILL recommend the MacBook Air for audio only dj artists and will wait to see how it handles video & visual manipulaion when it comes out. The only thing I can see as an issue for the MacBook Air at this point may be the stock processor speed (1.6Ghz), but an upgrade to the 1.8Ghz processor will probably suffice seeing as how I handle all visual gigs for hours on end without any problems on my 32bit 1.83Ghz Core Duo MacBook Pro.

geposted Wed 16 Jan 08 @ 11:48 am
Has anyone any idea if the Apple Time Capsule will work to store music on and play directly from VDJ. I know that when mounting a drive containing music with 2 wireless Macs, VDJ does not recognize the external wireless drive to play music or video from.
Also, I agree with ^...The Macbook Air would not be a very good choice for DJs that use Audio & Visual stuff. I guess they heard all the people complaining about the slower memory, they put it up to 2GB.

geposted Tue 05 Feb 08 @ 7:43 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)