Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: So I've Been Out of it a while - Old School Mixes

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Alright, the web site sucks I know. Go directly to the download page. Just looking for some honest...bad as well as good...feedback on a few mixes I posted. If you were around in the late 80's/early 90's in either NY or Chi Town, you'll know some of the songs. If you don't know the songs you should if you want to consider yourself a DJ aficiando. For example, the Fugee's/Lauren Hill or Wyclef John, know exactly who Thirld World is. Sense of Purpose/Jam On it/Just an Illusion/It's my Life (Duet with the original Talk Talk and special Guest appearance from the track they stole) is what I've posted after owning VDJ for a month. I would appreciate straight feedback, thanks. Could today's generation actually embrace these tunes with some tweaks??? I Don't even use an external mouse, this software freakin' good. TCV pls Santa/Wife

AudioRetro.com

geposted Thu 16 Dec 04 @ 7:37 pm
Pretty good. The track JUST AN ILLUSION is by the group IMAGINATION. CHANGES is another name of a track by the same group. Old school 80's tunes is my specialty. Remember: D TRAIN, SOS BAND, THE SYSTEM, FATBACK, KANO (It's Alright), GINO SOCCIO (Try It Out), SHADES OF LOVE (Body To Body), SHANNON, FRANCE JOLI, SHARON REDD, CHAS JANKEL (Glad To Know You), NARADA MICHAEL WALDEN, HOWARD JOHNSON (So Fine), STEPHANIE MILLS, DAYTON, KHEMISTRY, KLIQUE (I Can't Shake This Feeling), BEN E. KING ( Music Trance), THE JONES GIRLS, KAREN SILVER, BOHANNON (Lets Start The Dance), BRANDI WELLS (Watch Out), POSITIVE FORCE (We Got The Funk), KASHIF, COLONEL ABRAMS, MARY JANE GIRLS (In MY House), TINA MARIE (Square Biz), BRASS CONSTRUCTION (Walkin' The Line), GAP BAND (Outstanding Girl You Knock Me Out, You Dropped The Bomb On Me), FAT LARRY'S BAND, PATRICE RUSHEN (Forget Me Nots), so many great tunes. Got them all in my computer and people still love them. Keep up the good work and keep having fun with VDJ.

geposted Thu 16 Dec 04 @ 11:35 pm
Thanks for the feedback. Shinobi16. I remember almost all the tunes you mentioned. D-Train and Colonel Abrams are probably two of my favs. (Music is the Answer by CA great tune). Chas Jankel, that' s a rare one. I've got them all on my computer as well. How about you send a few mixes to my site's e-mail and I'll post them for fun. Here's a few more, Jimmy Ross (First True Love affair/Fall into a Trance), Nolan Thomas Yo Little Brother, The Gap Band, The Dazz Band, Fantastic Voyage, La Flavour, The Machine, BBQE (On the Beat), Oydessy (Native New Yorker), Jimmy Horne Spank, The Whispers, and the list goes on and on. Thanks again for some feedback, I'll look for a mix or two from you. VDJ rocks.

geposted Fri 17 Dec 04 @ 10:12 am
Shinobi, you got me thinking about the System. They had a song, The Pleasure Seekers, that was agreat one. I just looked around on Amazon and found all their other tunes but Pleasure Seekers wasn't on any of their albums. Anyone know where, besides Vinyl, I can find this tune? I know I had it on 12" years ago and I'm wondering if it was just a single release by them.

geposted Fri 17 Dec 04 @ 2:20 pm
Go here for THE SYSTEM/ Pleasure Seekers: http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,171983,00.html

More To Remember: AURRA (Checking You Out/ Are You Single/ Keep Doing It Right), JIMMY "BO" HORNE ( Is It In), JOCELYN BROWN (Somebody Elses Guy), JUNIOR (Mama Used To Say "Take Your Time Young Man, Don't You Want To Get Old"), KID CREOLE & THE COCONUTS, KLEEER, LOOSE ENDS, MARK MORRISON (Return Of The Mac/ Horney), MTUME, RAW SILK (Do It To The Music), RITCHIE FAMILY (I'll Do My Best For You Baby), SKYY (Let's Celebrate/ Call Me), STONE (Time), MORRIS DAY & THE TIME (Fishnet), VAUGHAN MASON, VICKY D, ZAPP & ROGER, GAYLE ADAMS. Have fun remembering these tracks.

geposted Fri 17 Dec 04 @ 3:49 pm

geposted Fri 17 Dec 04 @ 6:26 pm
1989 Pete Rock Mixtape = GOLD

oh yeah, and that marley marl is ok too..........=)

geposted Fri 17 Dec 04 @ 6:27 pm
Vx, thanks for the post, I'm downloading it now. Big file. Marley Marl brings back a whole other area of this time period. The Grandfathers of Rap. RDMC...rip JMJ. Dam shame. On e-bay they're selling some turntables from a guy I don't remember (search for turntables) but he died and was a legend and they have a picture of Jay's van with a ton of signatures from all the people all over the van. Turntables don't look that good or I would have bought them. I could go on forever with these people's names. Cold Crush Brothers (on the radio) UTFO, Jeckyll and Hyde, GM Flash, Sugarhill (8th Wonder..ooh and that other song LOL)Fresh Prince (ok he's Will Smith now but he was cool then :) Good stuff.

Shinobi, it said that it wasn't available. The biography says it was dist. by some chinese label. I wonder if that's why it tough to get..then and now. This board has shown me ton's of good sites. I just haven't spent much time looking in the last decade so I am learning a ton. Are there sites that have MP3 downloads of 12" versions? I'm dying for dub versions and alcapellas. Not the vinyl recorded stuff that sounds like junk.

geposted Fri 17 Dec 04 @ 8:41 pm
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
two releases for the Pleasure Seakers:

System, The - The Pleasure Seekers
Label: Mirage (2)
Catalog#: 0-96875
Format: 12"
Released: 1985
Genre: Electronic
Style: Disco
Extra Artists: Mixed By - Tom Lord-Alge

and

System, The - The Pleasure Seekers / You Are In My System
Label: Boiling Point
Catalog#: POSPA 753
Format: 12"
Released: 1985
Genre: Electronic
Style: Electro, Disco
Notes: Written & produced by Mic Murphy / David Frank
Original sound recording made by Mirage Records, New York

I don't know the title myself, but since you liked allmusic.com, I figured I'd divulge another golden source of information for electronic beats, probably the best knowldge base in the world for our kind of music. It is, it is.... ***drumrolls***... http://www.discogs.com

An amazing tools for looking up track/release info and launch ebay searches :)

BTW, if anyone has the following for sale at a reasonable price, I'm very interested:

Kenny Dixon Jr. - U Can Dance If U Want 2
Label: KDJ
Catalog#: KDJ 09
Format: 2x12"
Released: 1997

geposted Sat 18 Dec 04 @ 1:07 am

geposted Sun 19 Dec 04 @ 2:33 pm
Bambi, thanks but these sites don't do it. I'm not looking for vinyl, I need cd or download. Pleasure Seekers anyone?

geposted Sun 19 Dec 04 @ 8:36 pm
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003

geposted Mon 20 Dec 04 @ 1:24 am
You're the man Bambi. Much appreciated. I'll keep an eye out for what you're looking for as well.

geposted Mon 20 Dec 04 @ 8:22 am
DJ Bambi, found your song on vinyl. Don't know if that does you any good. http://www.discogs.com/release/13617. I guess you also have to find someone to sell it to you, I'm not familiar with this site. I'd start searching under Moodymann his alias. You might have some luck with a CD.

geposted Mon 20 Dec 04 @ 2:46 pm
Mandolay and There but for the Grace of God Tribute. Not quite there yet but I had fun mixing them all. Throw a classic house tune and it's some classics housed up. Alway's welcome feedback. AudioRetro.com. The website sucks and I'm really not trying to market on the site. It's just where I post my mixes to be reviewed. :}

geposted Tue 21 Dec 04 @ 8:50 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)