Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Overheating? (laptop experts required)

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
for some reason my laptop is occasionaly crashing out for no reason, this never happend before.

i'll maybe be useing vdj, a game or regular application and the computer would just cut out completely, and i would feel the back and top, it's very hot, my guess is it's suddenly overheating.

I have a pentium 4, 2.6ghz, on windows xp home, do those symptoms sound like overheating, it gurantees a crash if i analyze say 20 songs in vdj, export a large movie file or simply play a demanding game, sometimes after the chip has been busy i'd let the computer rest and still it will suddenly crash out, if i just use virtual dj in a normal manner all is fine. It seems it occurs if or after the proccessor has been in high demand, however this never happend before.

What could it be?, note that around 8 weeks ago i got some engineer to replace my pentium chip, it's the same chip, but maybe he didn't put a good fan in, is that a possibility?, do you think an external laptop cooler/fan would do the trick...

Another thing worth noteing is that when i ask my computer to do something big and leave it outside in the cold, it doesn't crash.

best regards, please help me with this, as it's not stable for gigs in this condition.

geposted Mon 20 Dec 04 @ 1:22 pm
bramszHome userMember since 2004
Hello Bagpuss,

As you already mentioned, I also think that you are experiencing a cooling problem. One thing that you can check by yourself is the memory: www.memtest.org. (Does the memory come corrupt when your computer is heating up?)

I would contact the dealer and report the problem.

Success!

Bram.

geposted Mon 20 Dec 04 @ 2:30 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003

The other thing you might want to try is a good back flush of the cooling system with compressed air.
You will be shocked at what comes out of the unit.

geposted Mon 20 Dec 04 @ 6:48 pm
I've used laptops with digital dj'ing for years

1. get a laptop cooler. I have one, it cost me $17
2. try this program to keep an eye on the cpu temp http://www.hmonitor.com/ (if your laptop supports temperature monitoring)

WirelessDJ

geposted Mon 20 Dec 04 @ 6:51 pm
I suggest you firtly to try to put your computer on a metal plate (aluminum, ...), trying to see if it will refresh your computer.

2. I think a cooler may be a good idea.

3. If your computer still crashes. You should ask yourseft: "Do I have enough RAM and swap?"

4. I don't like keeping my laptops in the sleep mode. You should try to turn it off;).

geposted Tue 21 Dec 04 @ 4:03 pm
Try and install speed fan its excellent(http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php)
Your laptop should run at 50 celcius 2bcool about the heat problem
i had a major problem with heat in the past so it does make a difference
Use a metal round cake pan and sit the laptop on it (this does wonders for high temps)
Regards
Andre

geposted Tue 21 Dec 04 @ 5:01 pm
does the pc crash or VDJ? when it crashes can you do other things?

geposted Tue 21 Dec 04 @ 6:32 pm
Wow,
Lots of great replies, thanks fellas :)

Basically the laptop completelly cuts out, literally, like I pulled the plug.

And upon turning the computer on again, their is no checkers or notifications to say it crashed, or anything, it starts up as it normally would. Like the proccessor just turned off, maybe as a safety mechanism?, and of course all the memory would go with it.

I'm certain it's a heating issue. and only occurs when the chip is working hard, although not prolonged or unreasonable use, just maybe one hour.

I think the guy who replaced my chip didn't put in the right fan, or customise it correctly, just a guess but it makes sense. is the chip and fan installation hard?.

I think i'll first get those temp reading programs, then buy a good external fan, any ideas which ones are good and where I can get one?.

just for those who mentioned ram i have 480 ddr, probably enough.

also is there anything I can do in the bios set-up?,

regarding virtual dj, it is usually ok for mixing but not analyzing tracks, and probably loading long tracks, of course I can't live with the knowledge that it could crash out so badly at any time, another thing is that i can watch a dvd free of trouble (not a big chip task).

Thanks again for all replies, regards bagpuss.

geposted Thu 23 Dec 04 @ 5:46 pm
Ummm, Bagpuss, you never really answered the question from WirelessDJ.

As with all problems, you should take the approach of "isolating the problem".

It is true that vDJ is one of the applications that will cause your CPU to work harder, but you should establish a baseline by testing, or see if there is any information in the Windows Event log leading up to the shutdown.

Is your system really turning off, going into Hibernate or Standby ? It could be that the system is not properly recognizing that it is on AC and not battery. (1hr sounds about right for battery life)

Your statement that "the guy who replaced my chip didn't put in the right fan, or customise it correctly," puts your laptop in the cetegory of unusual. Although desktop PCs are commonly built by individuals, laptops aren't generally modified or "customized". So it is not surprising that you may have this type of issue with a "customized laptop".

It will be appreciated if you could establish if vDJ is the problem or not, otherwise your issue may be better suited for a laptop hardware support forum.

geposted Fri 24 Dec 04 @ 7:56 am
Digijoc Mele:
thanks for your reply and i'm sorry if the information i gave you wasn't Informative. I'l try the best I can to answer your questions until I have more information, I really appreciate your help ;).

I will try some testing soon but until then here is the facts.

The system is having no problems with the power source, it fully recognises whether it is using a battery or the ac, The problem occurs whether the battery is in use or not in use.

The system does not hibernate, nor does it go into standby, the software does not freeze, and this is NOT a problem with virtual dj, But a system problem which occurs after some proccessor use.

The computer actually turns itself off completely, but no indication of it doing so, it will be running (in a way that seems fine) and then a black screen, the computer has turned off. But the lights on the front of the laptop still indicate the ac power source, and that the battery is charging (if it's not already).

When I turn the computer back on, EVERYTHING happens as it normally would, the only thing I notice which is different is that the computer is feeling really quite hot, at the back where the chip and harddrive is.

Sorry I was a little vague in the last post, 10 weeks ago I dropped my laptop, got some engineer to take a look at it, he came back to me and said that the fan and the chip were both completely wasted, but the rest of the components were intact (soposedly he did some tests), He then orderd the same chip, I don't have any idea if the chips are included with fans?, He replaced the chip and fan, then came back to me with it working, end of story..,

The problem hasn't been ever since then, but more like the last few weeks, It seems like a coincidence, I just question if he did a good job, or if it's possible he didn't give me the right fan.., maybe gave me an unsuitable one.., as I believe the problem i'm expierencing is related to the laptop temparture, although I don't have any real "proof", maybe i'm completely wrong. Please enlighten me if you think something else could be happening.

And finally your right, My problem might be better suited on a laptop hardware support forum, This problem is in no way related to virtual dj and I don't blame the software (as the problem occurs with any software, whether a GAME or MP3 RIPPING SOFTWARE), I simply come here for help if I have any problem or questions regarding music software or hardware.

Thanks for your time and effort, i'll report back here with any new Information I get.

Regards bagpuss,

geposted Fri 24 Dec 04 @ 12:57 pm
Do not turn your computer off....hibernate only Try this
Just make sure to restart everyday..but do not turn off especially if you work with it
Have you tried the other suggestions?Did you get the temp down to 50?
Andre

geposted Fri 24 Dec 04 @ 1:08 pm
What do you have against turning off a computer?

geposted Fri 24 Dec 04 @ 2:01 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The temperature fluctuations shorten cpu life. A cpu that is turned off every night will not live as long as one that is placed in hibernation.

I doubt that the difference would ever be noticed, however. Not many people are running the same cpu for years and years anymore.

geposted Fri 24 Dec 04 @ 2:10 pm
NetHeadHome userMember since 2004
Isn't hibernating the same thing as a power off, only that the PC basically boots into a snapshot of its previous state when it's powered on again? If so, I don't think hibernating would make much of a difference

Just to clarify, these are the power saving states I'm aware of:

1. Full on
2. Monitor/hard drive power off
3. Sleep/Standby (some essential devices kept on)
4. Hibernate (PC is actually off, but a snapshot of the PC's current state is written to the hard drive for quick loading when power is restored)
5. Off

geposted Fri 24 Dec 04 @ 3:33 pm
With a laptop when you come out of hibernation the response is imediate so its more like a save point
its does not completly shut down.When you boot up all the processes install themselves,when you come out of hibernation you return to the point you were at wich means the computer does not shut down completly.....!!!!???

geposted Sat 25 Dec 04 @ 2:42 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)