Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Virtual DJ OS

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

cerriexPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Wouldn't it be nice to turn on the laptop, and watch VirtualDJ boot up into its own opetrating system.

Less crashes, freezing, hanging and other anoying MS Windows problems.

Sure you'd need to bundle a few drivers and what not. But think of the extra proformance you could gain. Absolutly NO un-essential services running. no back-grounded updates running and all stuff alike.

In fact im sure VirtualDJ could be loaded into RAM much like a small Linux Distro on a Flash Drive. Now that would be FAST. Tho yes you would still be waiting on the External HDD to access your Million-GB music libary.

But hey, Just food for thought.

You could even make a Live CD like Linux and boot any PC into VDJ.. Hmmmm.

geposted Sun 05 Jul 09 @ 12:31 pm
...or you could just buy a Mac.

geposted Sun 05 Jul 09 @ 4:32 pm
and then what if u buy a mac no crashing yeah right that is all just stories if u have a nice laptoplike acer,hp or something and u ceep it clean and dont have a lot of rubish virtual dj will run great..now avery body is saing that programs dun beter on mac i beg to differ..

geposted Mon 06 Jul 09 @ 5:22 am
dizzyrocks2001 wrote :
...or you could just buy a Mac.

I've seen Macs have problems with VDJ. They got a whole forum dedicted to it...

geposted Tue 07 Jul 09 @ 2:15 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
That would be tough to support everything that goes into running a PC (drivers and so on). I like the idea, but I just don't see it being possible. Now Maybe things would be better with Linux support (without running Whine or any other windows environment). I have never used linux but many of my friends do and they seem to like it.

geposted Mon 13 Jul 09 @ 8:03 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
As has been said above; driver support is the big issue. Even with Linux...

geposted Mon 13 Jul 09 @ 8:12 pm
There is already a way to do this. You set virtualdj.exe as your windows shell (in XP, anyway). I've tried it and it works ;)

There is a forum topic for this, but darned if I can remember where the devil it is. Maybe check skyfxl's blog.

geposted Mon 13 Jul 09 @ 9:59 pm

Can you do this in Vista?

geposted Tue 14 Jul 09 @ 2:09 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
You certainly can. Just look up changing the shell in windows :)

geposted Tue 14 Jul 09 @ 7:58 am
So before I try that, what can I expect? Does it only run VDJ right from boot? Will I be able to use any of my other programs like Perfect disk (defrag) or iTunes? Will it buy me anything perfomence wise?

geposted Tue 14 Jul 09 @ 11:13 am
I havent done any lengthy testing to check out performance. but in terms of running other programs you do not have a taskbar but you do have access to Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) and you can use the "RUN" command within to run other programs or even to run REGEDIT again to change the shell back to explorer.exe

geposted Tue 14 Jul 09 @ 11:41 am
DHoude wrote :
So before I try that, what can I expect? Does it only run VDJ right from boot? Will I be able to use any of my other programs like Perfect disk (defrag) or iTunes? Will it buy me anything perfomence wise?

Yes, VDJ will open at startup, and there will be no desktop per se. Programs can be run from Task Manager (as stated by djtouchdan). Performance will be increased as a matter of consequence because many of the processes that Windows normally loads at startup for the standard explorer shell will not be loaded - giving you more available resources...I can't remember exactly how many processes there were - it was quite some time ago when I tried it. Some like it; personally, I found that some minor tweaks did the trick for me without the need to resort to this option. You won't hurt anything if you try it...However, you should know that you would need to open regedit using the Task Manager to change it back. Click File-->New Task (Run), enter regedit and click OK to edit your original registry changes.

geposted Tue 14 Jul 09 @ 5:31 pm
Thanks for the heads up guys. I shouldn't, but even if I get screwed up, I was planning to format soon anyway (new mother board dreams:).

geposted Tue 14 Jul 09 @ 7:49 pm
jimmy b wrote :

I like the sound of this. I've got a free weekend coming up so I might have a play with this.

I understand how to set it up, but how does it work, I'm alittle confused. Does it only load and use resources needed to run VirtualDJ. What about external soundcards and so on.

Not sure about this Jimmy...I used the tweak when I used MK2. I might be around this weekend if you want to PM me about it.

geposted Wed 15 Jul 09 @ 5:41 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)