Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Athlon or P4?

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I'm pondering building a machine specifically to run VDJ with video...

Currently I'm running it on an Athlon XP 1.67GHz - 512MB laptop with ATI graphics and testing it with a P4 2.6GHz - 1GB rackmount with nVidia graphics. The laptop seems to be outperforming the rackmount machine with VDJ. Interestingly, the laptop also outperforms this machine transcoding video from DVD to MPEG-1.

So which do you think is the better processor for VDJ and video?

geposted Thu 19 May 05 @ 6:23 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
this has been discussed at great lenghts over on the software board.

I'm convinced amd64's kick intel's ass any day of the week. I've had a p4 3.0 and a amd64 @ 3000+ totally smokes it.

geposted Thu 19 May 05 @ 6:26 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
I like amd myself and I think Cyder will agree. :0)

geposted Thu 19 May 05 @ 6:26 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
WOW.. we were answering at the same time. I knew he would have to speak here.

geposted Thu 19 May 05 @ 6:27 am

geposted Thu 19 May 05 @ 6:58 am
DjCStaHome userMember since 2005
Pentium 4 all the way every1 knows (deep down) that Intel are the best. Always have been. Always will be. No Dought about it. Also me Paw (scottish for dad, for all you non-speakers!) flys over to Ireland every week to work for Intel. So you'd be keepig my dad in a jod if you buy the P4. Come on... you've got to now, right?

Chris

geposted Thu 19 May 05 @ 11:34 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Open your mind DjCSta.
Technology changes and brings new capabilaties with it.

Welcome Rob, FINALLY!
Glad to see you here and posting, man if you can make a laptop work with video, you are going to make a lot of people VERY happy.

Interesting...........
Maybe you can post up some specs on the laptop.

geposted Thu 19 May 05 @ 11:49 am
DjCStaHome userMember since 2005
If you want new technology wait for the Hexium Range!

Chris

geposted Thu 19 May 05 @ 11:53 am
if intel was so great way doesn't windows xp 64 support ANY intel chips???

geposted Thu 19 May 05 @ 2:48 pm
@mp3rick, why do you think a laptop does not work for vDj video ? Works fine on my laptop :

HP Pavilion ze4400 | 1.8Ghz | ATI 340 video w/ 64Mb shared RAM | Main RAM = 1Gb

geposted Thu 19 May 05 @ 4:37 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
DigiJoc,

When you say that video works, do you mean that it is working with 2 simultaneous videos mixing at full frame rate (ie ~25 PAl or ~30 NTSC?)
I am looking into upgrading to a newer laptop for video and have been considering the HP zd8000 and Dell XPS series, because they are multimedia powerhouses, but if you have a magic configuration that just happens to do the trick, then please post! :)

-Frd

geposted Thu 19 May 05 @ 6:33 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Well, for most I know it's preference, and their experiences with different computer types, The AMD seems to be ahead of intel on the technology front, For me, Both chips are terrifically powerful and capable, most of the power they boost is mainly for games, their aren't so many programs that need 3GB plus.

The main issue at hand with chips is heating, keeping the things cool, so the fan is of big importance, especially with these newer chips, also I think memory is more important than the chip it's self. And the Windows operating system for me is not so satisfactory, i'm hopeing the new version will be alot better.

If I were buying a new computer today, I think i'd go for AMD.

Bagpuss.

geposted Thu 19 May 05 @ 8:35 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Video, in most cases exceeds the specs and limitations needed for steady fluid images.
Even in my case, I see some latency when I am in transition with both decks up and playing.
And this system has everything but a supercharger on it.

I certainly encourage anybody with the machine and program to try it and see what you get for results.
Also be aware that garbage in garbage out definately applies, you need good clean source material.
It may look good on the monitor, but look like shit on the 10 or 14' screen.
Good rips are the most important.

As laptops go, daily improvements will certainly change the performance as will program refinements, every little improvement helps with the net result.
Your milage will vary.

On the other hand, video takes drive space I have 3 holding video, karaoke and audio.
A 256 card is another one of those little things that help, spend the extra 50.
I think the thought here is much to be gained with rack systems with respect to video, not to mention hardware upgrades, drive space, and cooling systems.
Don't take it as a laptop put down, but don't expect to do video with a $400. lease/resale piece of crap either.

Unfortunately, nobody will let you test a system prior to buying it unless it is a MS progam that is loaded.
GET AN OEM VERSION OS!
Buy a bare bones laptop and put your own OS on it, or reformat with the OEM OS if you own what you think is a qualified machine.
I run with 22 processes at full tilt, not 46 like on my laptop system.

Look closely at your system load in task manager and SEE what is happening when you try this out.

geposted Thu 19 May 05 @ 8:46 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)