Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Bitrate? - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

MalekoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
What bitrate do most people use for MP3's and why?

(dunno if this has been discussed b4, i did search :P)

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 8:38 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I use 192kps and above, I have found that for the file size and quality of rip this works well in my configuration and the quality of gear I use. Some will say it is a weak quality and would say the most approriate minimum is 256kps, my suggestion is rip the same song at different settings and find what works best for you.

cstoll

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 8:56 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I would go for 320kbps MAX mp3, but i'm currentely considering other compression formats, or not at all, as my sound comparisons of mp3 and WAV have had (to me) unacceptable differences.

I know all the facts on mp3, but only recentely have I had time to do the 'tests', in deed their is a noticeable loss for me.

Bagpuss

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 8:59 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Yeap 192 for me with the lame codec seems to work great. I think much above this is not noticeable to the human ear?

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 10:35 am
VBR or Constant Bitrate?????

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 11:38 am
NebulaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
VBR is variable bitrate, so if there is 10 secs of silence in ur track (a bit extreme but just as an example) the file size would be smaller than constant bitrate, as VBR wont record as many bits in the silence as constant bitrate.

I'm not sure about the quality levels (i think they're basically the same), but it all comes down to file size. VBR will not use as much file space as constant bitrate

Nebula

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 1:55 pm
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
CBR for me is best than VBR ...192 minimum

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 3:56 pm
Work Vdj good with VBR files?????

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 4:54 pm
Yes it works fine..

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 5:10 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
All my latest rips are now at 256-320.., before i used 192 and 224.
Basically everything from 192 and up will be ok.
Important: use STEREO (NEVER "JOINT"(fake) STEREO), CBR always.
Lame or fraunhaufer encoders.
If you want the best quality for mp3's, trouble free, compatibility, thats it...

PS. I recently have read the final scratch manual, and they recommend the same...
for the same reasons.

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 5:48 pm
In the ideal world i'd extract all WAVS from my CD's, but is it worth splashing out on an external harddrive for this?, that's the tradeoff, for perfect quality, you need pay more..., that's partly the goal of mp3, to reduce costs etc, but the sound of the pure WAV can't be matched by the mp3.., and the dispute of just how good mp3 is in creating a lossless file, is completely relative to the listerner...

When I first used mp3, I thought a miracel had occured, beacause a 192 kbps from 1400kbps (CD) sounded (to me) like the original, but experience has taught me what i'm listening for.., and it is strange, that now, the moment I enter a club, I know what format is being played, regardless of bite rates.., isn't that a fine achievement? :).

The secret to picking up difference, could be sumed up this way, " with an mp3, what you are listening too may sound great, but it's what you can't hear that you should be 'listening' for".

mp3 is great, and a fine achievment, it just isn't perfect.

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 6:05 pm
I use for my mp3s Lame(alt present standard):)

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 6:45 pm
doesn't anyone use ogg files??

apart from souding quite psychadelic (c'mon...ogg vorbis??), the file sizes are smaller and even though it is also "lossy", the elements that are lost, which mp3 removes versus what ogg removes are different..

plus vdj supports it..and IMO ogg sounds better..

important note:never convert mp3s to oggs because they remove different elements so mp3 has already lost some sounds and then ogg removes some more so the sound quality is ^&$@!!

learnt that the hard way :(

cheers

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 6:53 pm
Who use only Vbr mp3s and have no problems???????

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 9:49 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Lol Chromollio.

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 10:22 pm
Their are no problems when useing VBR.

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 11:29 pm
NebulaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I dont know what the difference is between VBR and constant, all i know is that VBR uses less HDD space, compaired to constant. can anyone tell me if VBR sounds crap or is less perfect to constant? If they are the same (quality wise), I'd opt for VBR anyday!

Any pointers as to the quality issue?

geposted Mon 11 Jul 05 @ 12:21 am
I use 128

I have tested the difference between 128 and 256, and I couldn't see any difference :S

Also, No difference with Stereo or Joint Stereo....:S

Is it me?

geposted Mon 11 Jul 05 @ 12:47 am
You may Benefit by selecting my name to see my blog on mp3..

CBR at 300kbps is max, however, with a VBR file, you specify the minimum and maximum values, for example 128 min and 320 max, the encoder will then add more bites when needed and less when not needed. So the average bite rate of these files will vary, VBR is good when encoded as I said, but it can get a few wrong, so it's best to set a high minimum to combat this problem.

Overall CBR is better, because it's a constant maximum, VBR attempts to provide the same sound, but with a smaller file size (by useing less bites on simpler parts).

@ Maleko: 128kbps is far too low my friend, you will need to encode higher if you plan on gigging, and you should notice the difference, as others will.

geposted Mon 11 Jul 05 @ 1:01 am
I will defo be looking into it :) thnks for the tips, helpful blog mate :D

geposted Mon 11 Jul 05 @ 1:15 am
31%