Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Help! Serious problem with brand new sandy bridgge laptops :( - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

jaakkoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Yesterday I bought a new laptop for gig use only. In specs its great laptop for its price:

ASUS 15.6"/FHD/I7-2630QM/GT540M/4G/640G/7HP UUTUUS VARASTOSSA
[N53SV-SZ095V]

Intel Core i7-2630QM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M 2GB
Windows 7 64bit

THE PROBLEM IS, that the laptop actually has 2 graphics cards and supports nvidia OPTIMUS technology. VDJ video card shows only "intel graphics HD", not GT 540M and when I start to play videos with it, video lags and there is clicks and pops all the time.
What it seems is that there is no way to disable intel graphics from working. Not in bios nor OS.

I can right click VDJ shortcut and select it to use better NVIDIA-graphic card only, but "intel graphics HD" is still listed and when I choose it i get "error in video driver"

THis laptop is simply unusuable with VDJ. Also same problem persists in all NVIDIA optimus technology laptops.

IT IS UNBELIEVABLE that there is no more discussion or warning about this problem in this forum :(
I bought it from here for 900 euros: http://www.lapstore.fi/product_info.php?products_id=43755
and there is even no mention about that it has 2 graphic cards....
What is worse there is technically no defects in laptop, so i cannot return it.
I just lost 900 euros of money.

geposted Thu 24 Mar 11 @ 5:23 am
ahhh, this sucks bro, unfortunately this seems to be a new thing on so called mid to high end laptops and I assume this is why you are the 1st person to report on this.

This is strange though, even if you cannot activate the Nvidia card the Intel solution should be able to run standard video with ease. Look into the Intel HD graphics config menu and make the same changes you made to the Nvidia part.

geposted Thu 24 Mar 11 @ 1:40 pm
ilkalcoPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Ok just got a Dell XPS Laptop with NVIDIA GeForce GT 540m.
Right click on desktop and opne NVIDIA Control Panel from menu.
In left hand window slect "Manage 3D Settings"
Click the "Program Settings" tab.
Step #1 is select a program to customize: click the "ADD" button.
In the new window on the left side click "Computer" next double click "OS C:" (or the drive VDJ is on) then double click "Program Files (x86)"
Find the file "Virtual DJ" double click it and slect "Virtualdj_pro" and click "OPEN"
Now Step #2 select the perferred graphics processor for this program: slect "High-performance NVIDIA processor" from the dropdown window.
Click "Apply" or "Save" buttion at the bottom of the settings page.

This worked for me, no more video issues

geposted Sun 24 Apr 11 @ 4:12 pm
I hope this works for me :-/ just got a brand new Asus with more or less the same specs, should be here Monday.

geposted Sun 24 Apr 11 @ 6:43 pm
All you need is the new driver for gt 540 (270.28).It solves all the problems and all work perfectly.It worked in my laptop!

geposted Tue 26 Apr 11 @ 6:50 pm
ilkalco wrote :
Ok just got a Dell XPS Laptop with NVIDIA GeForce GT 540m.
Right click on desktop and opne NVIDIA Control Panel from menu.
In left hand window slect "Manage 3D Settings"
Click the "Program Settings" tab.
Step #1 is select a program to customize: click the "ADD" button.
In the new window on the left side click "Computer" next double click "OS C:" (or the drive VDJ is on) then double click "Program Files (x86)"
Find the file "Virtual DJ" double click it and slect "Virtualdj_pro" and click "OPEN"
Now Step #2 select the perferred graphics processor for this program: slect "High-performance NVIDIA processor" from the dropdown window.
Click "Apply" or "Save" buttion at the bottom of the settings page.

This worked for me, no more video issues

geposted Wed 04 May 11 @ 6:12 am
Izm123PRO InfinityMember since 2009
I Just got a Dell XPS 17 with Optimus & NVIDIA GT-555m 3gb card. I added VirtualDJ to run on the NVIDIA...but its only running the extended video screen with my music videos on the High Performance card. The actual DJ desktop Interface is choppy as hell...especially the Waves. Does anyone know how to permanently disable the Intel HD-3000? I've installed the latest NVidia firmware as of today.

geposted Thu 19 May 11 @ 11:02 am
Did you call Dell?

geposted Thu 19 May 11 @ 11:25 am
I just got a Toshiba with the GT540 & an i7 with Optimus.

I agree the animated waveforms on the horizontal and vertical for scratch as well as animated turntables are horribly choppy & consistently freeze momentarily. The audio seems fine so far, but the animation if unreliable, especially if you are relying on it to mix. It seems the worst when you are moving the mouse in the animated areas. Almost as if the waveforms and turntable freeze and the system stops redrawing them when the mouse is moving over them. If you constantly move the mouse over those animated areas you can keep the waveform or turntable frozen for several seconds.

Someone said it was because I was using a normal wide screen skin on my oddball 1366 x 768 laptop resolution, but i downloaded a 1366 x 768 skin, but it was the same.

I tried forcing the laptop to use the GT540 on VDJ, but no change.

geposted Thu 19 May 11 @ 11:26 am
Ignition808...Looks like we have exact same issue. Moving mouse over upper animated parts makes the waves and decks spinning very choppy (the music itself & extended videos are fine). It seems that VirtualDJ wont run on NVIDIA until you turn on video option; and then it'll only run the extended part on the Nvidia. I've tried forcing other programs such as Traktor2 to run on the High Performance Nvidia and they run on it without any problems.
Looks like we either need VirtualDJ7 be able to run exclusively on NVIDIA.(not half IntelHD & Half Nvidia) or we need to be able to disable IntelHD completely!
These Optimus enabled Laptops came out in Feburary...this is gonna be a major issue as DJ's upgrade to the latest Highend laptops!

geposted Thu 19 May 11 @ 12:00 pm
I got my laptop only a few days ago. i7, GT540, 8GB of Ram, and sure enough it tears through everything I have put on it, but I purchased it specifically for VDJ so I could get a couple of V7's to use with it. And true, the CPU meter barely moves, so hopefully the audio engine underneath is feeling the power and it just looks horrible. The old Pentium 4 that it is replacing has smoother animation.

I love the software, it is more flexible than all the other software I have used or tried; it is just very frustrating to spend all that cash on a new laptop only to have lackluster basic animation performance.

I have played with every option in the control panel, but it changes nothing. My new laptop is going to see it's first gig this weekend and if I saw someone else rig look like that I would tell them to prepare for a crash.

geposted Thu 19 May 11 @ 1:16 pm
Just Got off the phone with Dell XPS support. They spent 45mins remotely logged in to my machine. They also can't figure out why VirtualDJ7 wont run on the Highend video card even when forced too (unless you turn on video) It still runs on Intel HD3000. Someone at VirtualDJ needs to look into this...because other programs i have installed such as Traktor2 run on Nvidia when told to!

On another topic...i don't see why the Intel-HD3000 has such bad performance on the VDJ7 desktop...its shouldnt be that demanding. I have an HPG71 with Intel HD-2000 or 2500 and it ran both screens flawlessy!!!

Intel needs to give users option to disable Optimus! turning off in Device Manager doesnt work either. VirtualDJ still finds Intel HD-3000 even when told not to..and global settings are set for Nvidia.

12hrs working on this issue...i'm DONE!

geposted Thu 19 May 11 @ 2:00 pm
Has anyone with a NVIDIA GT-540m or GT-555m been able to get VirtualDJ7 Desktop (especially the waves & animated decks) to run smoothly? I'm still getting horribly choppy refreshes. I wish i'd known VirtualDJ has so many problems with Nvidia before i purchased my new laptop! I've tried checking on all the different check boxes in the registry..and still no luck!

geposted Mon 23 May 11 @ 10:54 pm
I read that it is not a VDJ problem, but a Nvidia problem and that you need to update the video driver. I'm going to try it this weekend.

geposted Tue 24 May 11 @ 12:42 pm
I did a gig this weekend and i used dicers almost exclusively to control VDJ, and as long as the mouse didn't move, the graphics were smooth as silk; but at soon as the mouse moved the graphics got choppy & repeatedly froze up.

geposted Tue 24 May 11 @ 1:06 pm
If you have an intel radeon graphics card in windows 7, right click on your desktop and select "configure switchable graphics". You should see virtual dj listed. You have to swith it to "high performance" and it will work like a charm.

geposted Thu 02 Jun 11 @ 1:32 am
ibandyg77 wrote :
If you have an intel radeon graphics card in windows 7, right click on your desktop and select "configure switchable graphics". You should see virtual dj listed. You have to swith it to "high performance" and it will work like a charm.

...tried that bro - didn't work. ;-(

geposted Thu 02 Jun 11 @ 1:15 pm
I've tried the latest NVIDIA driver version 275.33 and still no improvements on the choppy waves on the Desktop. Has anyone with 2 or 3gig Nvidia card gotten flawless performance on both the waves & extended video. Also i'm noticing occasional sound popping when the graphics acceleration check is ticked from within VirtualDJ software itself. It is definetly related to the check mark and not the asio buffer size!

geposted Tue 07 Jun 11 @ 6:26 pm
Dell Tech Support was totally useless.. they insisted on doing stuff that i'd tried already. They then suggested a complete re installation of the operating system...i told them Hell No...they were wasting my time!
I've now Opened a Trouble Ticket with NVIDIA directly..hopefully they can replicate the Choppy Desktop images and figure out whats wrong?

geposted Thu 16 Jun 11 @ 3:04 pm
have you tried to disable the onboard video and forcing the machine to recognize and use ONLY the NVidia? It sounds like it's a combination VDJ and chipset issue. My guess if you used enough other software you'd see similar issues. VDJ can fix this though by telling the system to either detect the graphics cards, ref an internal list of known cards and use the best option or give you an option in your config of detected video cards and ask which you'd prefer.

If you're getting pops when turning off the checkmark it's because you're probably having trouble rendering the animation and audio both through your cpu. It sounds dumb but this can easily be traced back to boards where the RAM communicates with the CPU via the northbridge or if the system is trying to buffer the sound in the RAM where it's trying to buffer the animation. If you leave the box checked and it's doing it it's a similar premises. Architecture/electronic issue.

I usually keep the decode while hidden unchecked. it solved a lot of performance issues for me when i had multiple vids in my playlist because it wants to cache them ahead of time which is silly when i don't need them cached until drop them on a deck. A fast system can cache the file fast enough to easily be mixable without having to worry about buffering issues or cpu load. My dual core AMD Athlon X2 does a right fine job and turning that off frees up a lot of CPU from the rendering process ahead of time. Better animation for me ;)

geposted Fri 17 Jun 11 @ 2:46 pm
77%