Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Browser - Wishes & new features - Page: 22

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

swattyPRO InfinityMember since 2012
I would like the facility to be able to load songs into the automix playlist and then when they are re-ordered by selecting a header such as "artist" or "title" , to be able to re-set them back to their original order. It is often useful to change to title order to check if a song is in the automix list and if each song was allocated a sequential number within the list, they could be returned to their original order by clicking the appropriate header.

geposted Mon 16 Sep 19 @ 6:57 pm

geposted Mon 16 Sep 19 @ 7:03 pm
I probably made a mistake in entering this request here as I have only just noticed that it is headed V8.

I am using V2018 and cannot find an option to restore the original sort order when right clicking on the header. Is it no longer available or am I missing something??

geposted Wed 18 Sep 19 @ 5:14 pm
you probably saved the changes and it that case there will be no resetting. FYI this is in the latest version of VDJ and also many older versions

geposted Wed 18 Sep 19 @ 7:52 pm
I have found that if I load a playlist into automix and sort it by a field such as artist or title, it can be reset to it's original order by right clicking on the header and selecting "reset order" which appears at the top of the list as suggested in the manual. The issue is that if I add any songs to the automix list in addition to the initial playlist that was loaded, the option of "reset order" is no longer available.

geposted Wed 18 Sep 19 @ 7:58 pm
is "savePlaylist" set to yes ?

if you add to it it will get saved in that case and alter the order

geposted Wed 18 Sep 19 @ 8:17 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Mod Guys could you please stop quoting messages directly above, it's not needed.

geposted Wed 18 Sep 19 @ 8:27 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
swatty wrote :
I have found that if I load a playlist into automix and sort it by a field such as artist or title, it can be reset to it's original order by right clicking on the header and selecting "reset order" which appears at the top of the list as suggested in the manual. The issue is that if I add any songs to the automix list in addition to the initial playlist that was loaded, the option of "reset order" is no longer available.

If you add songs the new order becomes the default. There is no way to know where these new songs would fit in your original sort order.

geposted Wed 18 Sep 19 @ 9:03 pm
After adding songs I want the default to become the new order with the additional songs included. Then after applying a sort such as "Artist" I would like to be able to reset the order back to the default order that now has the additional songs added. This does not seem a big ask but unfortunately it is not currently possible. As soon as I add just one song, VDJ no longer offers a "reset order". It surely can't be that difficult for it to continually log the automix order after songs are added. After all, it remembers them for next time the program is opened.

geposted Thu 19 Sep 19 @ 8:11 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Suppose you have a list
3, 4, 2, 7, 1

You sort the list
1, 2, 3, 4, 7

Now you add item X after item 2
1, 2, X, 3, 4, 7

There is no right answer of what you may mean to 'reset' the sort order.
Should X be after 2? Before 3? At the 3th position? At the end?

If the order makes sense, then you should revert to the order before adding songs.

geposted Thu 19 Sep 19 @ 8:16 pm
swatty wrote :
As soon as I add just one song, VDJ no longer offers a "reset order"

Exactly - because you haven't changed the order. You've added something. What do you expect 'reset order' to do, take the new song back out?

geposted Thu 19 Sep 19 @ 8:37 pm
I expect that if I do a sort on "artist" or title or any other header, I can reset the order to what it was before I sorted it on "Artist" (or whatever) to what it was before i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, 7. In the example you quote, if a track is added (X) whilst in "artist" (or whatever) sort order I guess it would need to go to the end of the reset order. That way if a sort is done on anything alphabetically it will always be correct and if songs are added whilst in an alphabetic sort they get added to the end because as you point out, they have got to go somewhere.

When the list is reset back to its original (created/modified) order at least the main list is preserved and only songs added during an alphabetical sort end up at the end of the list. The way I use the Automix list to create on the fly playlists which are not continually saved as they are modified all evening. It is unlikely I would ever add songs whilst in an alphabetical search but if I did, I would know where they are when I reset the list and could easily move them around. The obvious thing for my way of working would be to only add/move songs when not in an alphabetical search.

I suppose the other thing to consider is why anyone would want to add songs when in an alphabetical sort? If they do then the sort is more than likely not in alphabetical order anymore due to the addition so it would not matter if those tracks are added to the end of the original sort order.

geposted Fri 20 Sep 19 @ 5:59 pm
To avoid confusion (not sure if that is possible with this debate) in the above comment I should have said sort and not search.

geposted Fri 20 Sep 19 @ 6:04 pm
Reading back through this I think it is perhaps hard to grasp the issue unless you experience it by creating and using lists on the fly.

In a nutshell I would like VDJ to always remember the automix list order as created/modified. If a sort is carried out on an Automix list that is in the Automix pane, then VDJ can reset the order to what it was before any fields were sorted.

If a track/s) is/are added when in an alphabetical sort, have them added to the end of the original list when carrying out a "reset Order".

geposted Fri 20 Sep 19 @ 6:19 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
Maybe swatty is talking about the 'reset' After sorting again once added ?

Suppose you have a list
3, 4, 2, 7, 1
You sort the list
1, 2, 3, 4, 7
Now you add item X after item 2
1, 2, X, 3, 4, 7
- reset original order disapearing as normal
You sort the list again
1, 2, 3, 4, 7, X
- reset original to order reappearing
There may be a new right answer of what 'reset the sort order' could be:
1, 2, X, 3, 4, 7

because this one is not actually possible
the first left empty column header was for this but now do some "sort by time added"
maybe an option toggle its functionning mode

geposted Fri 20 Sep 19 @ 6:43 pm
I can try to again to explain the problem as it exists in the way I usually use the automix pane.

Step 1 - I create a playlist for the evening by maybe loading a saved playlist into automix and/or by adding tracks from my collection.
Step 2 - I add additional tracks into the automix pane as the evening progresses, often changing the order of the tracks by moving them around as the evening progresses.
Step 3 - Do not sort the tracks in the automix pane by clicking on any of the headers which would apply a sort in alphabetical order based on the field that is selected.
Step 4- Everything is fine and I have no issues.
Step 5 - Accidently or deliberately click on a field header (for instance - Artist) and all the tracks are now showing in alphabetical order by Artist
Step6 - I am unable to get my playlist back to the order it was in before I selected to sort it alphabetically by Artist
Step 7 - I would have to spend ages sorting the tracks back into the order that I want to play them in.

geposted Fri 20 Sep 19 @ 8:40 pm
You have a list that you created that you can add to, delete from, or modify. That's the list order you want. You might want to view the list by artist or whatever for some reason but don't want to change the play order you have set. The problem is there is no notion of play order versus view order. Makes no sense to try and maintain a play order when you can edit and change in any sorted order and the sorted order becomes the play order. So maybe a setting that does not allow add, delete, or modify when in any sorted order and a quick exit back from a sorted list to your manually ordered and changeable list. Maybe the easiest thing would be to have a setting that does not allow sorting in automix and could only be changed manually.

geposted Fri 11 Oct 19 @ 5:21 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
swatty wrote :
I can try to again to explain the problem as it exists in the way I usually use the automix pane.

Step 1 - I create a playlist for the evening by maybe loading a saved playlist into automix and/or by adding tracks from my collection.
Step 2 - I add additional tracks into the automix pane as the evening progresses, often changing the order of the tracks by moving them around as the evening progresses.
Step 3 - Do not sort the tracks in the automix pane by clicking on any of the headers which would apply a sort in alphabetical order based on the field that is selected.
Step 5 - Accidently or deliberately click on a field header (for instance - Artist) and all the tracks are now showing in alphabetical order by Artist
Step6 - I am unable to get my playlist back to the order it was in before I selected to sort it alphabetically by Artist
Step 7 - I would have to spend ages sorting the tracks back into the order that I want to play them in.

You should be able to right click on one of the column headers (title, artist, etc). That should display a pop up menu where you can pick columns. At the top of that list should be a "Reset sort" option. This should put the list back in order.

geposted Fri 11 Oct 19 @ 5:33 pm
blckjck wrote :
swatty wrote :

You should be able to right click on one of the column headers (title, artist, etc). That should display a pop up menu where you can pick columns. At the top of that list should be a "Reset sort" option. This should put the list back in order.

You could have a way back to your unordered list, except since you can modify the list when sorted it becomes messy. When does the edited list become the new unordered list for example? That's the source of confusion, in addition, the sort order becomes the play order. So that is not a simple just go back thing and something that makes a distinction, disables modifying when sorted, or disables sorting would probably make more sense. I think for automix, the main use for sorting is to look something up but not to change the play order for the most part.

geposted Fri 11 Oct 19 @ 5:40 pm
Isn't this what saving is for?

If you add a track to your list then it's not the "original" list any more because it has a new track. Therefore (I imagine) you would need to save the list before you mess it up by clicking on columns. Once it's saved, VDJ could/should refer back to it to determine the order - or you can just reload it.

I really don't understand why it's so important to have a fixed list of tracks that's always in the same order anyway, if you're DJing (even if it is with automix), but hey ho...

geposted Fri 11 Oct 19 @ 5:49 pm
54%