Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: A note to all skin creators! Very Important!

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I have been trying to repair skins that will work in VDJ8 and have found many many serious XML errors in the 4,7 & 8 skins. If you are going to create skins for us please check them first for errors. I had a serious blue screen from the Skin creator tool as it is very poor in quality for and XML file work. There was a missing " symbol in the command line, and when I highlighted the line it froze and closed the skin creator tool and windows 7 crashed and blue screened. This made me very upset as the skin xmls have these kind of errors to begin with! Why should I have to fix these errors? They are serious enough to crash the Operating system. Most of the complaints about VDJ8 having bugs and being at fault is not true, VDJ8 is very picky due to it's high quality. It is the XML files that are poor. There are also capital letters being used and that is not tolerated by the xml.

<tooltip> Opens the File Info Window</Tooltip> This is a serious error!

Also most of the xmls have way to many spaces between command lines and waists a huge amount of space. All lines should not be more than a space apart.
I really do not like to complain, but something needs to be said to alert the creators of these serious error problems.
The one and only djdad never has errors in his work. They are perfect!
Here is an example of the errors.

<visual panel="mixer2" source="deck right get level_left"type="onoff">
<size width="131" height="36"/>
<pos x="830" y="419"/>
<up x="1316" y="3516"/>
<down x="813" y="2610"/>
</visual>

<visual panel="mixer2" source="deck right get level_left"type="onoff">
<pos x="830" y="419"/>
<up x="1316" y="3516"/> >
<down x="813" y="2610"/>
</visual>
<visual panel="mixer2" source="deck right get level_left" type="onoff">
<pos x="830" y="419"/>
<up x="1316" y="3516"/> >
<down x="813" y="2610"/>
</visual>

<visual panel="mixer2" source="deck right get level_left" type="onoff">
<size width="131" height="36 "/>
<pos x="830" y="419"/>
<up x="1316" y="3516"/ >
<down x="813" y="2610"/>
</visual>

geposted Wed 08 Jul 15 @ 2:40 am
All skins are tested prior to being made available on the site.

If errors stopped VirtualDJ from running or caused crashes then these skins will not be made available.

It is also worth noting that the Skin Creator tool is not compatible with version8.

geposted Wed 08 Jul 15 @ 7:07 am
Thank You djtouchdan for letting me know, that the tool is no compatible. I did not know that.
The skins may be tested and they are working? Then they must of got compromised by something.
All of the XMLs still files have errors in them. Take a deep look and you will see what I am showing on my post.
VDJ may tolerate them enough to function, but these errors slow down PC performance and consistency of the performance of VDJ.
I am only trying to help out and make them perfect. As far as the Skin Creator tool, will it get updated?
It also fails with the VDJ 7 Skins for VDJ 7.
I have used the tool to convert 7 skins to VDJ 8 even though it crashes often.
Thank You for the reply.
Jon J.

geposted Wed 08 Jul 15 @ 12:56 pm
I think you miss the point of how EVERY XML file is designed to work (XML file specs)
Spaces are in fact ignored when parsing a XML file. In other words they don't have ANY impact at all when the file is loaded in RAM.
As for physical storage, despite the small footprint spaces have on a file, when the file is compressed inside the .zip file that holds both XML and PNG (or BMP) they are also efficiently compressed and they have no real impact on the end size of file.
Finally XML nodes and attributes are NOT CaSe SeNsItIvE.
So, <ToolTip>This</tOOltIp> is a valid XML node!

geposted Wed 08 Jul 15 @ 1:34 pm
Thank You PhantomDeejay for your insight and wisdom, that is how I learn. I do not know everything, even at my age, Lol!
That makes more since then, and the functionality simplified. So the problem is, the Skin Creator tool is basically poor for now, as it calls all those things out as errors, and even crashes to the Desktop from my description on my post..
Thank DJs for your help.
Jon J.

geposted Wed 08 Jul 15 @ 6:58 pm
I would suggest you to go the "hard" way...
Instead of using Skin Creator, use a graphics editor and a XML editor.
For the XML files I would suggest you to use "Notepad++"
It's a FREE text editor that supports several programming languages and other formats like XML
One good thing is that it colorizes the text and you can clearly see the nodes, attributes, e.t.c.
Also it expands/collapses the nodes making it more easy to navigate through the file :)

geposted Thu 09 Jul 15 @ 11:01 am
Thanks for your help PhantomDeejay.
I did get a good version of notepad++ and it works very good as you described. I have been using that more now as the Skin Creator keeps causing problems.
If the Skin Creator would ever get updated, I would purchase it again. I like it when it works for doing precise button placement and fixing odd bitmap errors.

I will keep on working on the Skins to fix what does not work in VDJ8. The VDJ8 is very very picky about Graphics that are otherwise are ignored by 7. But that is what makes 8 much better in performance. VDJ8 is way smoother running, and uses a lot less CPU resources, and works very good on older PCs as well. I have gotten very attached to 8 after the learning curve got straightened out.
Zanard gave me permissions to fix up his 7 Skins and I did get 2 of them done for compatibility with 8. I am waiting on him to send to me a return address to send his Skins back to him.
Thanks all again!
Jon J.

geposted Thu 09 Jul 15 @ 6:55 pm
Tj / Phantom

I'm confused. At first, I believed skin creator didn't work with v8. But after learning about the header of the .XML and making sure file names match up, Skin creator works. It may not incorporate all the new functions, but it works ok with minimal problems.

two problems for me:
-auto highlight and correct
-sometimes the skin needs to be zoomed in / out after making a selection in the skin. Otherwise the selection won't appear right.
(The settings are not allowing me to turn off auto correct)

I asked Jeremy if he was going to update. He responded and told me not in the foreseeable future.
So, I live with it. 6000 lines of code and counting.... It works.

Also, Note++ Is nice, but I still prefer skin creator for now ;-)

geposted Fri 17 Jul 15 @ 12:54 pm
The Skin Creator was not supposed to work with 8, but it does work. I have been able to place new buttons and fix .png and .bmp errors with it for 8 skins. The Skin Creator is very sensitive and will fail more time than not if there is an error in the xml file, it will cause the Skin Creator to freeze and close. I too like the Skin Creator more than Notepad++. When it works, it is easier to use. I had purchased the Skin Creator from Jeremy and I had gotten frustrated with it and he gave me a refund back on it due to it not being perfected. But I have been using it and letting him know what causes it to fail so he could patch it. I would pay him twice of what he is asking for it if he would update it or at least fix the sensitive problems that it has. I wish that he would not give up on it as it could be a very useful tool and it is for sure worth paying for.
Jon J.

geposted Fri 17 Jul 15 @ 7:24 pm
It's a shame that there isn't an official skin creating tool from Atomix. One that could be updated (in a similar way to the VDJ mapping updates) whenever changes are made to the script/code. I guess in theory it could even be built into VDJ.

geposted Sat 18 Jul 15 @ 7:17 am
For Sure! That would be a software tool that I would even buy from VDJ. I would pay good $ for a good tool. I do enjoy fixing things and then seeing the results of my fixes and efforts. Please, please VDJ make that tool and I would do the chicken dance! LOL!.
Jon J.

geposted Wed 22 Jul 15 @ 2:56 am
As I read, spaces have no impact on performance correct?
because I have like a GAZILLION spaces.

I create my lines in word and space through so that all lines are lined up.... Makes it tremendously easier to write, read, copy and paste.
I'm asking Virtual DJ staff... aside from a bigger file size, is there any reason I should not do this?

geposted Mon 17 Aug 15 @ 7:50 pm
As per my earlier post:
ALL xml parsers will ignore white space when parsing the file and loading it to RAM. So, NO besides the uncompressed filesize there's no other impact.

geposted Mon 17 Aug 15 @ 7:53 pm
zanardPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Skins creator tool is an indispensable software.
Although it is not fully compatible with v8 you can work decently.
Of course, if Jeremy would update ....
As for the performance, the spaces do not create any problems, and confirm that being said by others.
Zanard.

geposted Sat 22 Aug 15 @ 8:21 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)