Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Developers, Developers, Developers

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I think channeling Steve Ballmer and his call to engage developers is the most appropriate way to begin this post. I am a new member of the Virtual DJ 8 family and my usage is primarily non-commercial Karaoke and "automix" mode music at family gatherings. There is a group of about 30 friends and family that meets monthly to eat, drink, dance and sing - great fun! After researching the competition, Virtual DJ 8 was a good fit for my needs. I am a software developer by trade and the first think I did was download the SDK to understand its capability and figure out ways to enhance my workflow. This is my initial impression.

a) The API has not been kept in sync with new versions of visual studio. Visual Studio 2013 and 2015 are not supported.
b) The examples and documentation are not in great shape
c) There isn't a road map that provides visibility of the direction and future strategy of the API

Although building skins and mapping are well known activities, I think Virtual DJ is missing out on a great opportunity to have a much larger community of developers contribute to the Virtual DJ ecosystem. Developers can provide plugins that can expand the product to match functionality found in the competition. For instance, PCDJ has functionality to display the next three singers in Karaoke mode. If there was a well documented API to get the list of singers from the Karaoke list in VDJ, I could implement a solution that updates the bitmap used by VDJ between Karaoke songs and write the singers names to an area of the bitmap and tada! the next three singers are shown.

My ask is for VDJ to update the API at least once per year an start exposing critical functionality such as access to songs, lists, singers, karaoke, events (add song/drop song) and the ability to interact with VDJ remotely the same way the ipad application does. The richer your API the more contribution from the development community. Also work on providing better examples that go beyond a boiler plate template.

Looking forward to continue using VDJ!!

geposted Fri 19 Feb 16 @ 6:08 pm
Hi 548! Of course further development is always a necessity in the fast changing software world of today. I have seen an enormous amount of request from KJs wanting the next singer scrolls, singer history, and multiple other tweaks for karaoke. Let's talk about karaoke, those who enjoy it in a private setting, as well as those of us that do it professionally.

I have been a KJ for 20 years. I have 8 friends that have been KJing for 10-25 years, varies. One has to decide what kind of program they want to conduct. Do you want the next singers scrolling, with easy access to their history, so you can hurry the singers through the list, like cattle through the sale barn? Well maybe.

My friends and I don't. As a KJ, understand that you are the entertainer. It's your job to entertain by creating a fun atmosphere with your personality, and singer camaraderie. We keep a rotation list. When we call a singer up, it gives us a chance to talk with, or about that singer. When the singer is done, you have a chance to praise their performance while calling up the next singer who now you are joking with. And you never announce the title of the singers song, ever.

I am trying to explain here that karaoke can be cattle down the shoot, or can be made very personal making each singer feel special, and have a good time. The staff at VDJ
has not created singer scrolls, or singer histories, and I wonder if they need to. Not for us.

And remember, the best moment in being a KJ, is calling a singer....................................................................................................................................that can sing.:)

geposted Sat 20 Feb 16 @ 2:33 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
user12700548 wrote :
a) The API has not been kept in sync with new versions of visual studio. Visual Studio 2013 and 2015 are not supported.

Not sure what you mean. The API download just contains 3 header files, which can be used fine in Visual Studio 2015.

geposted Sat 20 Feb 16 @ 2:52 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
user12700548 wrote :

The SDK is entirely compatible with both of those; it is usable with ANY version of VC++ including both of those you mentioned.

user12700548 wrote :
b) The examples and documentation are not in great shape

There isn't a great requirement for documentation; the SDK is self documenting to most C++ developers. There is some additional basic documentation here however: http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Developers.html

user12700548 wrote :
c) There isn't a road map that provides visibility of the direction and future strategy of the API

We don't release details of what is coming in future versions and the SDK is deliberately a static entity - it only changes when it absolutely has to. In general everything is accessed through function calls provided by the SDK by making use of the VDJScript language.

geposted Sat 20 Feb 16 @ 7:47 pm
Yes.

I didn't achieve puberty, yet I had compiled a game with custom bitmaps in C_++ using SDL and made GUIS with pure Win32 on some occasions. Now, looking at .NET, com and whatnot being older with less free time... Z80 ASM, MIPS for PSX... but wow... I've lagged.

I don't doubt I can figure it out. But I'm lazy. Looking at FLStudio SDK subforum, is same crap. Nothing of note is being posted. Is there a reason for making the bar so high?

Is the visual studio example using a older version of the IDE for a particular compatibility reason or will any version count? I second that the documentation, it's bare. I've done assembly even, but interprocess calls... Whether to make plugins or standalone side-applets...

Examples would be nice. If not, at least a place to share code. I can code, but I think DLL/COM wtv is like beyond much university scope... especially in recent versions of windows.

It be nice to have a "hello world" to compile... But yeah, a more explicit guide ( at least with referrals ) or a place to collab and debug would be appreciated.44

+3

geposted Sun 21 Feb 16 @ 1:30 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
You can use any VC version and the wiki page above has some basic examples.

There is also an entire subforum for questions and has plenty of history too with more example code etc.

geposted Sun 21 Feb 16 @ 3:03 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009

geposted Mon 22 Feb 16 @ 10:04 am
I am looking for a Virtual DJ Developer to create a Video FX plugin to Karafun API. I love Karafun but I would like it better if it was integrated with Virtual DJ Pro 8. The reason is because they have a large online database of HD karaoke music with unique options, such as volume control for vocals, background and visuals. Currently, I will mix with VDJ and if someone has a Karaoke request, I have to leave VDJ and open Karafun Player. I am not a developer but I reviewed both Karafun API and VDJ Pedia and in my own amateur opinion, I think it could be done. I am willing to make a donation for the plugin. I want to make a seamless transition within Virtual DJ. Is it possible?

geposted Sat 20 Aug 16 @ 11:07 pm
The SDK is more like an interface to VDJ. It provides you with access to VDJ script, VDJ audio, VDJ display, and a way to create a user interface. For a video effect, you use Direct3D9 on PC or OpenGL on mac. It is up to you to know how to use these. For Direct3D9 in VDJ, you do not call BeginScene, EndScene, or Present, but other than that you use it pretty much normal Direct3D9 or OpenGL usage.

They pointed you do a example that does not do much or ones that are complex. Pretty strange they provide a sample that does not do anything. The PC side has a couple useless calls in it that don't help for learning purposes. There were better examples for VDJ 7 but not compatible with 8. If you take the following example, just focus on what you might do in OnDraw for now. You will probably call DrawDeck which draws the current display state (things below you). You can do this in a number of ways, but more important to display something, anything, that you do yourself. Forget the GetTexture and GetSurface calls in the example... Draw a colored rectangle for example... If you don't know how to do this in Direct3D9 (PC) or OpenGL (MAC), then you need to learn that. Text output and scripting can come later.

http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Plugins_SDKv8_Example3.html

People here are very willing to help which is a good thing. I think maybe they want you to hunt things down somewhere and some information is scattered about. Ask questions in the plugin forum if you need help.

So VDJ SDK is simple and meant to be that way. Depending on the plugin type, you have access to VDJ's audio and a way to modify or create a unique display, but like an application you can do most anything you want but you need to follow some basic rules to conform. Most of the calls in the SDK are from some thread that are foreign to you so be careful of that. I think the only call that comes from the main thread is the OnGetUserInterface call but just don't mess with that or anything else until you draw a simple rectangle :)

geposted Sun 21 Aug 16 @ 1:00 pm
chucktown wrote :
I am looking for a Virtual DJ Developer to create a Video FX plugin to Karafun API. I love Karafun but I would like it better if it was integrated with Virtual DJ Pro 8. The reason is because they have a large online database of HD karaoke music with unique options, such as volume control for vocals, background and visuals. Currently, I will mix with VDJ and if someone has a Karaoke request, I have to leave VDJ and open Karafun Player. I am not a developer but I reviewed both Karafun API and VDJ Pedia and in my own amateur opinion, I think it could be done. I am willing to make a donation for the plugin. I want to make a seamless transition within Virtual DJ. Is it possible?

Looks like you just control the Karafun player to some degree with it's API and you get to keep polling it asking it where it is at. Kind of lame. It has it's own display and audio so that would probably bang heads with VDJ's audio and display. You could make it do something but probably more clumsy then just using the karafun player itself. Not interest in it at all but curious what your expectations would be and what a seamless transition would be in your eyes.

Can't glean too much about it reading this and maybe more elsewhere. They mention screen management but don't say anything about it.

http://www.karafun.com/developers/karafun-player-api.html

geposted Sun 21 Aug 16 @ 1:07 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)