Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Do all sound cards work with V DJ ? Which are the Best Sound Cards for Virtual DJ ...? - Page: 2

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

ClayDJPRO InfinityMember since 2011
+1 on the Focusrite.
I have used an older 18i8 unit for at least three years now with no problems.
They also have a nice software interface for setting up the ins and outs to your liking.

geposted Wed 07 Sep 16 @ 5:26 pm
Just a thought here but I have the rmx2 and the soundcard is excellent, 2ms latency at 24 bit 48k with no hiccups here. I haven't tried DVS yet but there are videos on youtube of people using it for that. This is not the cheapo soundcard they put into the instinct and similar items but a very nice 24 bit 96 khz 4 in 4 out DAC/ADC, the overall sound is clean and the mic input works nicely.

geposted Wed 07 Sep 16 @ 6:41 pm
Just to be clear... Something might do 24 bit 48K or even 96k, doesn't mean it has the same superior sound quality of a high end interface with the same spec, there's more to it than simple sample rates.

SpBlackcat, I've not tried the Hub for that but i suspect it will work perfectly fine. However, I'm still incredibly curious to how this stacks up to the 2nd gen 2i4. The HUB is older, i doubt it's as good. Ideally it's the same circuitry as the 1st gen 2i4 but with out the extra more studio features.

I had hoped the idea behind the HUB was to put some of Focusrights highest quality converter circuitry into an audio interface for DJ's. Removing the more 'studio' features to seriously reduce the price, ditch the midi, ditch the mic pre's. Making the HUB better sound quality than the 2i4 but at the same price bracket. For Dj's choosing an interface this would dominate the market. For price to quality ratio no other interface/manufacturer would get a look in. We simply do not need all those micpre's multiout interfaces have. A 2i4, especially a 2i8 (which i'd love), is incredibly rare at high quality or any quality.

If it's not the same or better than the 1st gen 2i4 scarlet, I wan't my money back, lol!!! if the circuitry doesn't come close to the 2i4 this thing should of been a lot cheaper, a USB hub doesn't cost that much.

geposted Wed 07 Sep 16 @ 9:06 pm
A Man and His Music ,

I understand what you're telling me and can relate to the problem of bad sound quality in some clubs...!
That is why I have put a budget limit, even if you get the Best Quality Audio Interface,
most Clubs won't be able to support it properly,
instead of getting Better Sound Quality you might get Worse !!!

I am satisfied with my Hercules RMX2 ...! In every Aspect !!!
But in a few Venues that I play at, space is really an issue, the RMX2 just won't fit.
Either because there are many DJs with their own equipment, DJ booths are small or I'm just invited to play for an hour,
so carrying the RMX2 is just not practical in these cases ...

That is why I need an extra audio interface,
to solve the space issue, still maintain great sound quality and better mobility ...

I understand that most people don't know about sound quality, but good Quality is what will keep people in the Club.

geposted Thu 08 Sep 16 @ 11:34 am
ClayDJ ,

Focusrite is one of the Major Companies I'm leaning towards !!!

Actually there are three, each one for a different reason:

Focusrite because of the quality that you get for the money that you spend on it, excellent reviews and tested for years.
The problem is it has a lot of studio features that I don't need.

Novation Audiohub for it's built quality, sound quality, loudness and the powered Hub with 3 USBs if they manage to work well with a HDD.

and Native Instruments Audio 2 MK2 because in the end I might just think, why not just get a cheap solution with good audio quality, easy mobility and set up because of it's Small Size, forget all the extras that the others have to offer, Save Money and just do the one thing that it's destined to do ...!

geposted Thu 08 Sep 16 @ 11:51 am
mitchiemasha ,

Since you own the Novation Hub and it's probably easy to set up,
why not just try it out and tell me the results by connecting a Flash-driver or a HDD,
it would really help my friend :-)
I would really Appreciate it ...!

Reading your last post on this subject,
it kinda sounds like your not that satisfied with the NOVA Hub,
you give me the impression that you find it a bit Expensive for it's Quality.

Should I prefer something else instead ...?

geposted Thu 08 Sep 16 @ 12:01 pm
I expected a noticeable improvement in sound Quality... But, the mixer in the venue isn't that great so I can't be sure yet. Yes it is loud, lol! They make sure we know this at every option. Which i thought is a lil silly, is it a cheap sales gimmick? Any one who know, knows, this being louder aint going to make up for the lack of amps or in adequate speakers. Any mixer will give any interface enough gain to feed the amps right. All this being loud achieves is an increased chance of over loading the mixers inputs and redlining the outputs.

I have a multi Presonus Firestudio set up in the studio and a friend just bought the 2nd gen 2i2 scarlet too so we should probably have a shoot out very soon. I am quite snowed right now but I'll try streaming some songs off a hard drive for you some point over the weekend. I'll try it with a memory stick too whilst I'm working, see how well it switches over and loads songs from it under a duration of use. I'll do that Friday as it's not as busy, just in case!

geposted Thu 08 Sep 16 @ 6:41 pm

geposted Thu 08 Sep 16 @ 6:48 pm
mitchiemasha ,

Thank you in advance for the (experiment) you are going to do on Friday with the HDD and the Flash-driver on the NOVA Hub,

this will help clear somethings out for me !!!

I sent a message to the Novation page on Facebook asking them very specific things and although they gave me some kind of answers, I Think we should go through with the Test with the USB Ports anyway.

This is what they answered:

"1 - Audiohub 2x4 can function as a USB hub for connecting and powering multiple USB devices/instruments. It wasn't specifically designed for connecting an external drive, this hasn't been tested for compatibility although It might work. I personally have no experience with this but imagine that you may experience latency as you would with any USB hub and external hard drives.

2 - Works with Windows 10? Yes - We are aware of a known issue where there may be audible clicks while the AudioHub is enumerating. This can take up to one minute. Once the Audiohub has enumerated (successfully connected with the computer), performance will not be affected. We are currently investigating this and hope to have a fix soon.

3 - Audiohub outputs two stereo pairs via RCA and 1/4” TRS jack socket. Connecting just one of these outputs will likely result in you only hearing left or right channel."

As you can see,

Not even the people from the technical support of NOVATION know their product well !!!
There are a lot (maybes) and imagination going on.
They're Unable to give a Definite answer ...!

Not only that, but the Drivers have some compatibility issues with Windows 10 ...!

They also aren't aware that the software is responsible for were and how you choose to output your Music not the hardware, well not completely by itself as you can see on Paragraph 3 in their reply.

geposted Thu 08 Sep 16 @ 8:42 pm
mitchiemasha ,

I saw the Links you sent me for both products.

Although at first, Novation Audiohub 2X4 seemed like an Attractive and Intelligent choice aimed for DJs,
the more I studied this device, the more I came to the conclusion that it is over priced for it's capabilities.
The support is also a downside since they hardly know their product.

You are right !!! I also noticed that they keep mentioning the word "Loud" any chance that they can get.
Loud doesn't mean Sound Quality, it's the amplifiers job to give audio Volume not the Audio Interfaces.

Focusrite 2i4 2nd Generation seems like an Excellent choice,
although it's aimed more for Studios and Recordings,
it still has nice gear on it for DJing,
and of course a lot that I don't need ...

geposted Thu 08 Sep 16 @ 8:56 pm
My Final Conclusion and Choice ...

1st) I bought the Focusrite 2i4 2nd Generation thinking that it is the better choice.

I connected it with my Studio Monitor Speakers and tried it out with VDJ 8.
The detail in Sound and Analysis was great, I could hear everything in the song in detail,
but the Beat and Volume was weak, I turned on all the volume and it still wasn't load enough (something I could never do with Hercules RMX2)

So I returned it ...

2nd In it's place I got the NOVATION Audiohub 2X4.
The Volume and the Beat was Significantly louder !!!
Although I was using my Monitor speakers, it created a surround effect, something that the speakers aren't designed to do.

Although it doesn't give the detail that Focusrite does, it delivers that extra Punch in Beat that the other can't.

In my opinion Novation is the Better choice !!!
Focusrite is designed more for Studio and Recording use,
so much detail is not necessary for a DJ...

I hope I was of some help and would like to Thank everyone that took place in this conversation with there Info :-)

geposted Wed 14 Sep 16 @ 5:10 pm
Sorry I didn't get chance to reply,... Did you try a hard drive?

geposted Fri 16 Sep 16 @ 4:49 pm
No Prob mitchiemasha

The place that I got the Unit and let me try out the products informed me that the USB Hubs weren't designed for DATA reading, only for the use of other interfaces, midi controllers and electronic musical instruments.

This is very useful because you can connect a DJ Controller without occupying an additional USB Port.

Out of curiosity I tried it at home, connecting a flash-driver to the Unit.
It didn't recognize it, so they were right.

But I'm still satisfied with Nova Hub !!!
It's compatible with Windows 7 and Windows 10 without any issues.
Focusrite 2i4 2nd Gen has problems with Windows 10 ...!

geposted Sat 17 Sep 16 @ 9:52 am
My friend says he was getting problems, 214 2nd Gen, it wasn't a simple set up and go. I thought it was him doing it wrong, lol. He uses Windows 10. I use Windows 10 on my tower PC's but don't upgrade my DJ laptop, it will stay as is W8 until I buy a new one.

geposted Sat 17 Sep 16 @ 4:15 pm
SpBlackCat wrote :
No Prob mitchiemasha

The place that I got the Unit and let me try out the products informed me that the USB Hubs weren't designed for DATA reading, only for the use of other interfaces, midi controllers and electronic musical instruments.

This is very useful because you can connect a DJ Controller without occupying an additional USB Port.

Doesn't a midi controller pass/except DATA??

geposted Sat 17 Sep 16 @ 4:19 pm
That's just what I was thinking when I read that earlier.

It's just a USB hub. It can't tell if the ones and zeros passing through it are from a DJ controller or some other device.

In fact, the Novation product page repeatedly uses the phrase "all your USB gear" and also "any other USB gear". Says nothing to suggest otherwise.

geposted Sat 17 Sep 16 @ 7:10 pm
mitchiemasha

the SOUND INSURGENT

groovindj

Sorry Guys I made a mistake,
the 1st time I tried it out connecting a flash-driver it didn't work, affected by what they had told me from the place that I purchased it, that the Hub wasn't designed for that type of use, I assumed that that they were right.

But I thought the same as all of you did, that it's a Hub with USB ports, all that Info is, is just digital "1" and "0".
So today I gave it a 2nd try.

I connected 2 different Flash-drivers and it worked perfectly !!!
In Virtual DJ 8 on Windows 10 there wasn't any noticeable Latency or Drop in sound quality !!!

Tomorrow I will try this out again using an External HDD for a longer period of time.
I'll also try occupying all the Ports with HDDs and Flash-drivers and load songs from different sources each time while V DJ is playing a song.
(today I didn't have the time)

It's really a Problem the fact that not even the people that reply to you in their Official sites and Forums know how their products work !!!

geposted Sun 18 Sep 16 @ 9:15 pm
Sorry for my delayed answer ...

I wanted to contact The Technical Support of Focusrite/Novation on their Official Site to see what they would tell me about this matter.

1st) They informed me that the Unit wasn't designed for this type of use and wouldn't work.

2nd) I sent them a 2nd message telling them that the Unit does work with External HDDs and Flash-drivers without any noticeable Latency.
Their response was to apologize to me saying that they weren't aware of this type of function and thanked me for the additional info I gave them about their product ...!

3rd) I sent them another message, asking them if connecting HDDs-Flash-drivers and using the Audiohub in this manner, if it would damage the product in any way ...?
For instance, Overheating. Because the Flow of Data from audio files is much larger than the Info coming out of a Midi Controller, Synth etc etc etc.
They replayed that there would be no problem and that I can use it without any fear of damaging it.

I was surprised by the fact that not even the people from their Technical Support could give you proper info about their products.
They said that I would have no problems using the NOVA Hub with External Memory Units.

Should I TRUST their Answer ...?
What do you think ?!?

It seems to work Perfectly with Virtual DJ 8.2 and Windows 10 ...!

geposted Thu 22 Sep 16 @ 12:30 pm
I wouldn't worry about over heating issues etc. The only problem one might get is drop outs, pops and clicks due to the PC and it's IRQ handling of that USB port, it might not set a high priority for it on certain laptops etc. if it's trying to do something else the processor might run out of buffer before it gets back to the audio stream.

I have a virus TI synth, that sends 3 channels of stereo audio over USB and the midi data to control 16 channels of the synth (both in both directions, at the same time). I know first hand that in unperfect configurations this can cause problems. Lucky a few adjustments in reg edit can smooth things out, in most cases. But, with some mother boards, due to how it's hardwired, it's not going to work.

geposted Thu 22 Sep 16 @ 9:52 pm
I see mitchiemasha ,

thanks for the Tip :-)

I used the Novation Audiohub at my last Gig in a Major Club that I play at.

I had no issues at all ...

The Sound Quality and Loudness (Volume) was Fantastic !!!

And worked with External HDDs without any Problems !!!

I Highly recommend this Unit ...!
It has everything a DJ needs plus more for its Price Range ;-)

The Sound Engine on V DJ 8.2 is much more Balanced than it was on 8.1 !!!

geposted Wed 28 Sep 16 @ 11:33 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)