Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: What are the best specs for a small form desk top PC to run VDJ8 ... video mixing application - Page: 2

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

groovindj wrote :
I agree with you there! I've just got myself a new tower system, because I felt I needed to go 64 bit (several s/w progs I use have gone 64 bit only).

It was only during a discussion with someone that I worked out the previous tower was around ten years old. :-(

There was really nothing wrong with it operationally. It stayed on 24/7 and did all I asked of it. It just had a 32 bit OS. Putting a 64 bit OS on there would've meant starting over, so I figured I may as well get a new beastie.

So now I have an i7 7700K 4.2GHz with 16Gb of RAM and the OS running from a SSD. Everything else is stored on 2Tb of striped HDD, with hard/symbolic links diverting progs away from the SSD.

Loving it so far. It's dead quiet in comparison to the old one, and starts up in the blink of an eye.

I have been keeping parts from computers that have become obsolete for years. As the parts become obsolete then I throw them away except I always keep the hard drives. If the case becomes obsolete than thrown away. It is a pretty rare thing for everything to become obsolete. Cases don't become obsolete very often. Sometimes form factors change etc.Power supplies are a good thing to save. I have had those go down more then a few times and good to have some extras. I have about an 8 year tower shell that I could build a new computer out of since it is still compatible with current parts.

You did not say what GPU you are using in your new computer.

geposted Sun 26 Nov 17 @ 10:58 am
I only use ITX based PC’s for DJ’ing
One use i5 4690k (main system) and the other is a backup system using Q1900.
They are built into my 19” case and well protected.
Both use SSD.

geposted Sun 26 Nov 17 @ 11:25 am
Don Moir wrote :

You did not say what GPU you are using in your new computer.

Because it's nothing to write home about. It's this fella here - about £30 worth.

The PC is bespoke, made by Inta Audio for music production/studio use.

If the graphics cause any issues then I can swap out the card for a better one, but so far it just works.

geposted Sun 26 Nov 17 @ 1:58 pm
Which is another good thing about an easily up-gradable computer. You don't have to put all the expense into it at once.

geposted Sun 26 Nov 17 @ 2:05 pm
So Jackson, the primary benefit for an ITX computer is compact, lightweight? I tried to price one out with an i7 / 1060 and got tired looking. Was just looking for a complete system to get a ball park price. Did not feel like going thru parts and pricing them out (I do like that though) . I found one for about $1300 which was not quite complete and another one a guy built for around $2000. Not real sure about the numbers. There is a bit of a cool factor but a little pricey. I think maybe one user slot available?

geposted Mon 27 Nov 17 @ 6:09 am
drjustPRO InfinityMember since 2006
ok after more research and making a decision im going to go with GR8 II-6GT024Z mini PC gaming desktop features an Intel Core i7-7700 processor with 16GB DDR4 memory for full desktop power from a console sized system
NVIDIA VR Ready with customized ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6G
2 tb ssd
512 m.2 ssd

with a 23" led touch screen

with my ns7 III

geposted Mon 27 Nov 17 @ 6:22 am
Don Moir wrote :
So Jackson, the primary benefit for an ITX computer is compact, lightweight? I tried to price one out with an i7 / 1060 and got tired looking. Was just looking for a complete system to get a ball park price. Did not feel like going thru parts and pricing them out (I do like that though) . I found one for about $1300 which was not quite complete and another one a guy built for around $2000. Not real sure about the numbers. There is a bit of a cool factor but a little pricey. I think maybe one user slot available?

Yes Don, primary benefit is compact and lightweight. And since I dont do video mixing i dont need a high performance GPU.
I built them myself and they have been working perfectly.
Its very nice to have the two ITX pc’s mounted side by side in a 19” rack which also house some other equipment. They are not easy to steal as a laptop would be either.
And if need a repair its very simple to replace cpu or motherboard compared to a laptop.

geposted Mon 27 Nov 17 @ 6:50 am
I think it is absolutely cool that the ITX way of things is in place. Large companies have embraced it. I can have faith in humanity lol. Early on I used to buy all the parts separate and assemble all of my computers just because I wanted to know exactly what I had. Even though I was going to be a programmer, computers were going to be my way of life after all.

The thing is I can get more value and do the same thing and better just by going with standard form factors. It may not be as cool as the ITX way, but that is only subjective value. The lighter more compact nature of ITX may make a difference to some but does not mean enough to me. Nevertheless, it does my soul good that people recognize the benefits of the ITX way. In my mind, it would be called the obvious way and not based just on form factors.

In the early days, part of the fun for me was to go to the local computer shop, where I could see first hand all the parts, the prices, and maybe just hang out for awhile thinking about things. I know the way of things now is to order online, but I think it would be so cool to have real ITX stores. Maybe just to me but I can imagine it.

geposted Tue 28 Nov 17 @ 3:01 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)