Forum: General Discussion

Discussions about VirtualDJ, and about DJing in general

Forum Guidelines
If you need extended support, contact our Support Team.
(*) The moderators hold the rights to move or modify posts in order to keep the discussions clear or to facilitate the search.
Topic: Looking to Purchase a new laptop
I've been using a Lenovo with Windows XP, Dual Celeron processors for 9 years now. I haven't updated to VDJ 8 still because the computer will not handle it. I am thinking of purchasing a new laptop and my budget is around $800.00. Any recommendations? I only use this laptop for dj'ing with VDJ and about average 40 gigs a year. As you can see my pc laptops are well taken care of and will last me years. I want something new that will be able to last a long time as well.

Posted Sat 10 Feb 18 @ 4:36 pm
I would suggest a new laptop that costs $800.

In other words, anything new will be able to handle VDJ 8. I've installed and run VDJ 8 on at least two old XP laptops and it's worked just fine, so current machines won't have any problems running it.

Posted Sat 10 Feb 18 @ 9:06 pm
Also, if it's new, we don't know how long they will last. I can tell you now, that the reliability of any new product, is not going to be like the older machines. I am looking for a new ASUS, and the reviews of the new machines is not exactly what I want to hear.

Posted Sat 10 Feb 18 @ 9:14 pm
I would go middle of the road spec wise , i have had no problems running intel i3 with 4gog of ram, but my current gig machine is i5 with 8gig, with hull hd 17inch screen.

I would normally say stick to a good brand name , but these days all manufactures seem to be doing things on the cheap , the HP that i currently use is not sparkling build quality wise...

Posted Tue 13 Feb 18 @ 8:06 pm
There is an alternative route you could take. I bought a refurbished Dell Lattitude E5410 online. It came with an i5 chip. 8Gb memory and a 250Gb SSd for speed. They gave me an RTB warranty of 6 months and it was a cheap £149.00, post free.
Its dedicated to VDJ and performs very well, mainly thanks to the SSd I would think.
It came in near perfect condition and had a bonus of an extended battery.
Its worth a look down that road....

Posted Tue 13 Feb 18 @ 8:48 pm
Thanks for the input guys. I am leaning toward a brand new Lenovo Y520, i5, 8GB RAM with 1TB hard drive.

Posted Tue 13 Feb 18 @ 9:41 pm
Yes, a gaming laptop should do just fine. The ASUS ROG range is popular with DJs.

Posted Tue 13 Feb 18 @ 10:20 pm
bigron1PRO InfinityMember since 2010
Keep in mind that not all i7, i5, i3 were created for the same purpose. Some use little power..but are very slow. Hence use a cpu benchmark website to assess the true power of the laptop. A dj is not normally concerned with long battery life since we are usually connected to mains power.

Posted Wed 14 Feb 18 @ 12:55 am