Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Problem with videos that have a display aspect ratio that is different than numeric ratio - Page: 2

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

So the vertices reflect crop, zoom, or bar, so that tells you nothing if the mode is crop or zoom about the actual display aspect ratio of the video. You set these kind of modes other ways in TV and TV could care less what the VDJ video mode is. So still don't have a reliable way to determine the video encoded display aspect ratio. I could open the file myself and get it but that would be overkill for something that should be supplied.

1) I still only have the actual pixel resolution of the video with no info on display aspect ratio. If user is in bar mode, then I can get it, otherwise, no.

2) No way to conveniently retrieve video texture from master. Transitions are not it. I need a steady display with many graphical items and the VDJ videos textures are just additional textures in the mix. In TV it is not so much about transitions. It is there but not in the sense of VDJ transitions. It is more about any collection of items that can do their own thing. This will come about a lot more in TV4.

3) Decks still useless (but better) for something like TV because no one wants to see the frame rate jumping all over the place. I put together a video that has 4 FPS to show this. Suppose TV would like to run on a deck and also display it's own video and maybe a camera. Then user keeps changing out things that cause the frame to jump up and down. What if you selected the 4 FPS video :)... TV on the deck will only be able to show 4 FPS. That's ok but seems decks could be much more useful if they behaved more like the master in terms of frame rate etc. The new flags are a great help and thanks for that but still needs a bit more.

There is progress though and that is a good thing.

geposted Tue 09 Apr 19 @ 9:11 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Since crop and bar don't alter the aspect ratio, you do get the correct coordinates from the vertices to draw the image without distortion. (And if the user set the mode to zoom he already agreed that he doesn't care about aspect ratio)

Not sure in which scenario you need the deck textures on master, but a transition is not a good solution.
If you are going to draw different decks on the master, then you don't need a transition anymore, and you are doing the job of the transition, no?

I guess a similar flag for framerate could make sense too for some cases.

geposted Tue 09 Apr 19 @ 9:25 am
Adion wrote :
Since crop and bar don't alter the aspect ratio, you do get the correct coordinates from the vertices to draw the image without distortion. (And if the user set the mode to zoom he already agreed that he doesn't care about aspect ratio)

Yes but again TV does that it's own way. It can mirror, tile, stretch, aspect, and can display these anyway multiple times different then the VDJ mode if the user wants to. Only thing that would be important is to be able to determine the correct display aspect ratio of the video which it cannot currently. There is no one way to display every video that everyone would agree on... It varies.

Adion wrote :
Not sure in which scenario you need the deck textures on master, but a transition is not a good solution.
If you are going to draw different decks on the master, then you don't need a transition anymore, and you are doing the job of the transition, no?

It's not about transitions. Look at the way it is now for some video plugin on the master. It has the entire pre-assembled display with black bars and all. The plugin has no option to make this fit better into what the plugin allows for. It is either how VDJ composed it or nothing. It effects things like seamless fits, strange rotations with black bars, etc. What if I want to display more than one thing in the same rotating cube? Black bar treatments don't help much. What if I want my own black bar treatments? I can't do these things the way it is without having access to the actual video textures. Right now plugin on the master has a blob to deal with.

Adion wrote :
I guess a similar flag for framerate could make sense too for some cases.

That together with the other new flags would make a deck a first class player.... and god knows I won't have to explain this situation anymore :)

geposted Tue 09 Apr 19 @ 9:56 am
This image shows multiple textures with auto fit on in TV4. The textures are clearly of different sizes tied together with seamless borders.

So looking into the future with a whole lot more and will be happy with any thing that will help to give a more professional appearance in the sense of:

lights, cameras, action

geposted Tue 09 Apr 19 @ 10:12 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Still don't really get what you would like to draw then, could you give an example?
A plugin on the master indeed gets the entire composed image, including what the video transition does.
So even if it had access to the original deck textures, since it doesn't know what the video transition did, there's not much you could do with those.
If you draw them yourself on the video output, you are hiding whatever was done by the video transition, but then you are effectively a video transition, and there was no point in having the video transition waste time drawing.

geposted Tue 09 Apr 19 @ 10:22 am
It is correct that a display of the video textures would loose whatever has been composed if the plugin/user decided that is what he/she wanted. But then it is up to the plugin and user to more directly determine how they should be composed. What if I want to display them both at the same time in different panels etc... What if I want to rotate them together with a seamless fit? The composed VDJ image should be the same as it is now. But also giving access to the actual video textures opens up new ways of doing things. I really don't like have to deal with the blob texture because it is so fixed and really can't do much to it to fix it up but that would be a user choice. I do get asked to display both videos etc. and other things and then I have to try and explain :)

With TV it is not a one shot deal where you have do everything the same way all the time. You can swap all that out with layouts that do define what you want to do.

I don't have all the answers and would never say that. I do think discussing this can bring up new ideas.

PS: Just the other day Huey was saying he did not like transitions etc. and pumped it out to mix emergency or whatever. Now that's overkill for something that could be done in VDJ better and more directly with better options. Who's to know if you don't try new things.

Also if user had decided to display some VDJ video texture in some TV panel, then I know for sure that video has a life and can swap it out with some other image or video when the VDJ video it is not in use so that black is not displayed. I think it's called dead air when there is silence or in this case lack of content.

geposted Tue 09 Apr 19 @ 10:38 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)