Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: latest update fubared my night - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

I should also explain that I always carry a backup laptop, so after an hour of issues I used my spare and carried on with my night, but: The latest update wrecked my audio settings running my ddj-rz in hardware mode. I took an update right before my set from vdj, and after the update my music would play fine, I would drop a track in the next deck and than audio would sound like it was under water. After failing to find a rollback (THIS NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED BY VDJ) I put my last build version backup laptop in and played perfect rest of the night.

My issue is that I could not easily find where to get a rollback version to install. VDJ, please make this EASY to find!!!!

geposted Sat 04 May 19 @ 6:06 pm
It's never a good idea to update just before a gig. Why did you accept it?

Why not keep previous versions on your laptop ready to go? I assume you already make regular backups?

The link to previous builds is easy to find - support, wiki, download previous builds.

geposted Sat 04 May 19 @ 6:13 pm
Yes Groovin, I know, why did I! It's like a drug, and I am addicted to pressing yes. Thanks for the advice, however: cant this be made a bit easier for a dj to locate in the future when he does stupid shit before a gig and needs a build rollback quickly?

geposted Sat 04 May 19 @ 6:21 pm
Maybe VDJ should keep the previous installed exe and in case of issues just hit a button to go back.

Saying that, assuming you're not on early access the released builds are pretty much bug free as they have been comprehensively tested by many users first.

Whenever I update I just keep the previous exe on a folder in case shit happens. Ive never had to use it tbough

geposted Sat 04 May 19 @ 6:37 pm
burnyabad wrote :
It's like a drug, and I am addicted to pressing yes

Same here, everytime I load up VDJ and see the downloading update message I get all tingly

geposted Sat 04 May 19 @ 6:39 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Maybe VDJ should keep the previous installed exe and in case of issues just hit a button to go back.

Saying that, assuming you're not on early access the released builds are pretty much bug free as they have been comprehensively tested by many users first.

Whenever I update I just keep the previous exe on a folder in case shit happens. Ive never had to use it tbough

good idea

geposted Sat 04 May 19 @ 6:41 pm
Is it just me???

Every new build I download I make a backup copy and keep in a backup folder. Going back as far as September 2017;

geposted Sun 05 May 19 @ 11:09 am
OK, that's a bit extreme!

geposted Sun 05 May 19 @ 11:18 am
Ha ha ha, it's just become a habit, maybe I need a cleanup.

geposted Sun 05 May 19 @ 3:24 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
kradcliffe wrote :
Ive never had to use it tbough

It surprised me when I finally had to roll back from a public release. This last build was the first time since I started with VDJ. It did take me a little bit to find the previous release build.

geposted Sun 05 May 19 @ 4:19 pm
djles.co.uk wrote :
Is it just me???
Every new build I download I make a backup copy and keep in a backup folder. Going back as far as September 2017;

backups are a nifty thing. I always keep copies on my thumbdrives, one on my keys and another in my pocket, and yet another with the external drive in my 'go bag'
I have installs on a hard drive going back to '08 on this computer and still have the VirtualDJ 3.4 cd in the original box

and I have a "small' archive of plugins as well, would have larger but the original hard drive enclosure I had the others stored on was lost in moving. probably sitting in a dump somewhere.

is it overkill?... nope.

geposted Mon 06 May 19 @ 2:14 am
OK I'll play. You show me yours, I'll show you mine :-)

geposted Mon 06 May 19 @ 8:36 am
Goodness!!!

What have I started here???? :-) :-) :-)

geposted Mon 06 May 19 @ 5:05 pm
I only keep the last 4 or so public release builds. I personally don't see any point at all keeping anything older than that.

geposted Mon 06 May 19 @ 5:07 pm
Those are not for emergency reinstallation if the current version fails at a gig. For that I keep one install file on the laptop.

That directory is on an external backup drive which has software going back for decades. If there's space on the drive, then keep a backup. You never know!

I've got a lot of old computers, controllers and audio interfaces. If I need to dig one out for whatever reason, I know I've got the software that'll run on it.

geposted Mon 06 May 19 @ 5:16 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009

geposted Wed 08 May 19 @ 2:51 pm
I always take the new beta before I start, but "I WOULD NOT ADVISE ANYONE ELSE TO DO IT". I try not to do it on mobile gigs, but even then, sometimes I can't help myself. I also keep previous versions on my machine, so I can easily go back in case of trouble. I have been fortunate, and only had to go back once. I will spare you my list, as I think the point has been made. I am going to cut my list down to the last 10 public releases, as they are really easy to find.

geposted Fri 10 May 19 @ 6:38 am
Ah ha, it's like an alcoholics anonymous addiction.

Hello, my name is......... I have an addiction for keeping old versions of VDJ............ I just can't help it. :-)

geposted Fri 10 May 19 @ 11:11 am
Oh, it's not just copies of VDJ for me!

Because I've got a whole bunch of external drives and old computers around, I've got software going back to when I first started using computers. Drawers of floppy discs, folders of old cover mount CD ROMs, ZIP discs, JAZ discs, magneto optical discs...

:-)

geposted Fri 10 May 19 @ 4:48 pm
Ha! You sound just like me.

I too have cupboards full of 3 1/2" Atari floppy discs, half a dozen old hard drives removed from dead computers. In 1990 I bought a brand new Roland 10 synth (vintage now lol), Atari STE 32bit and Steinberg's Pro 24 sequencing software to start making music with. Still have a Philips DCC (Digital Compact Cassette) player with cassettes full of music. Used to DJ with two of these. Two Sony MiniDisk players also to DJ with. This was just prior to going to mp3s and computer DJing in 1998. Got a few VHS Tapes that I used when I did a partial video disco back in the 80s. Plus, got shed loads of music equipment.

Probably make a fortune with a clearout lol.

geposted Sat 11 May 19 @ 2:21 am
71%