Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: New Computer - Big Problems - Page: 1
I have a Rane One and I've been struggling along with a little Samsung Computer with 16 gigs of RAM. It does ok but it isn't the greatest.

So, I decided to pull the trigger on something better and bought a new Alienware m18 with 64 gigs of RAM.

This should kick butt like nothing else, right?

Nope. So far, it sounds like garbage. It stutters and stammers, the music freezes up, it makes these horrid flanging sounds - total disaster.

I've replicated the same settings as on the Samsung laptop - which works fine!

Where do I start trying to figure this out?!? It's sure not what I expected.

Help is appreciated.

geposted Mon 14 Aug 23 @ 9:04 pm
I got a top of the range Lenovo gaming machine and it was a disaster (i9 12th Gen, 32gb RAM, RTX3080Ti). Massive latency spikes and the music would just randomly distort then stop despite the deck still playing in VDJ.

I tried literally everything over a couple of months but it was unfixable. I ended up returning it.

Went back to my trusty C940 and no issues whatsoever.

Note with Dell you need to uninstall their assist software (and other bloatware) as it's known to cause problems.

geposted Mon 14 Aug 23 @ 9:11 pm
The problem you describe, random distortion, etc., is exactly what I am having. As you suggested, I have already uninstalled as much junk as I can.

I formerly used an Alienware machine for years and it worked like a champ.

geposted Mon 14 Aug 23 @ 9:19 pm
Personally I think it's a Windows 11 issue, bad update perhaps. Lots of other people reporting similar problems.

geposted Mon 14 Aug 23 @ 10:02 pm
No problems here with Windows 11 on two different PCs, one being an Alienware.

(Not the first time I've posted a similar response, as not the first time you've blamed Windows 11)

geposted Mon 14 Aug 23 @ 10:23 pm
Not saying it's affecting every Windows 11 PC. Maybe certain graphics cards, CPU or chipsets?

geposted Mon 14 Aug 23 @ 10:35 pm
SepatroPRO InfinityMember since 2019
I used to experience very similar symptoms on my brand new HP. FInally I reverted back to Windows 10 (but probably this was not necessary), updated the NVidia drivers, removed quite some bloatware, and since then, works great. You can search my posts from February and March for more info.

geposted Tue 15 Aug 23 @ 5:20 am
Both mine have NVIDIA graphics.

The one I'm typing on now is a tower PC, and was custom built as a music PC by a company in Coventry. The laptop is just a plain old Alienware.

geposted Tue 15 Aug 23 @ 7:47 am
That's great but it doesn't help diagnose all the other people that do have issues.

As I stated in previous threads it is an issue affecting many users so maybe the VDJ dev team should be looking in to it. Seems to largely have been ignored by them so far.

I get that the odd person has a crap PC full of bloatware, viruses etc and that gets ignored but this is a far bigger issue.

geposted Tue 15 Aug 23 @ 7:50 am
I would
- re-install it from scratch using Win10
- only install the drivers that are absolute needed
- uninstall every utility made by Dell, if they "sneak in" anyway

That fixed my Dell g3 gaming laptop a couple of years ago when I got it

geposted Tue 15 Aug 23 @ 7:52 am
kradcliffe wrote :

As I stated in previous threads it is an issue affecting many users so maybe the VDJ dev team should be looking in to it. Seems to largely have been ignored by them so far.

I don't see what they can do...
Sue Microsoft for releasing Win11?
Sue Dell for their drivers and utilities?

geposted Tue 15 Aug 23 @ 7:55 am
What I mean is a lot of people are blaming the DJ software rather than their PC or OS.

If it is a Windows 11 issue then at least identify that.

Maybe a statement explaining what users can do to try and resolve the situation. Irrespective it is an issue where people can't use the software properly.

geposted Tue 15 Aug 23 @ 8:27 am
kradcliffe wrote :
it doesn't help diagnose all the other people that do have issues.

It does, because it disproves your constant claims of Windows 11 being a problem, or Alienware/Dell (etc. etc).

A few posts here from people having issues doesn't mean Windows 11 is broken. The forum only shows the minority with issues, not the 99.99% using VDJ problem free.

geposted Tue 15 Aug 23 @ 8:39 am
hh73PRO InfinityMember since 2006
klausmogensen wrote :
I would
- re-install it from scratch using Win10
- only install the drivers that are absolute needed
- uninstall every utility made by Dell, if they "sneak in" anyway

That fixed my Dell g3 gaming laptop a couple of years ago when I got it

win 11 works fine. just use stable or beta release. and whenever. even a homebuilt pc like mine. and msi. in the Bios. there is a setting automaticaly turned on to install msi drivers and crap. turn this feature of

manz gigabyte, asus, and msi have this new feature.

btw the rane one has a unique mushy sound. for my purrposes. i sent it back.

get rufus, go to askvg.com for the iso. or create one with the windows tool. and do a clean install. download hwinfo64 to find out what motherboard they used. and just download the drivers themselves.

geposted Tue 15 Aug 23 @ 8:56 am
groovindj wrote :
It does, because it disproves your constant claims of Windows 11 being a problem.

Interesting that some users have "downgraded" to Windows 10 and it's solved all the issues though.

geposted Tue 15 Aug 23 @ 9:02 am
I would advise against installing an older OS, because:

1) There's nothing wrong with Windows 11
2) New computers are built to work with 11. If you install an older OS, parts of your shiny new PC may stop working.

geposted Tue 15 Aug 23 @ 9:02 am
groovindj wrote :
There's nothing wrong with Windows 11

For you personally. But that's 2 PCs out of millions.

It's Windows 10 with a bit of lipstick. Purely a marketing con. But there will be subtle differences of course and that's what may be causing this issue.

geposted Tue 15 Aug 23 @ 9:06 am
No, not just for me personally. As per my earlier post, we only see the people with problems posting here. We don't see the millions (your word) running things with no problems.

If Windows 11 were to blame, all the other forums I use which are related to using audio on computers, would be swamped with complaints - but they're not. Professional high end software, not just DJing.

geposted Tue 15 Aug 23 @ 9:41 am
So you're saying it's VDJ that's the problem then, not Windows 11 or your other "high end" stuff?

geposted Tue 15 Aug 23 @ 9:44 am
Er, no. All I'm doing is responding to another one of your posts blaming Windows 11 when someone has an issue.

Logically if it was VDJ then everyone (including us) would be having an issue, because we're all using the same software.

geposted Tue 15 Aug 23 @ 10:09 am
74%