Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Which Controller Would You Prefer? - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

Which AtomixMP3 controller would you prefer:

1) A full stand-alone AtomixMP3 controller, with Scratch interface, and assignable buttons and joysticks, and mouse touchpad (about $100-$150 USD)

-OR-

2) ONLY a scratch interface, no buttons, no mouse, smaller than above (about $50-$100 USD)

-OR-

3) Something else (Please Specify)

-AND-

4) Would you want ONE -or- TWO Touch-activated scratch interfaces? (One Interface could toggle back and forth between the 2 songs, Two interfaces could control active desk and inactive desk, but not at the same time, and would be more expensive...)

Thanks for your help on this!!! Your input will only make the controller better!!!

Have you seen the touch-activated scratch controller yet? Watch the prototype videos here: (remember, we are further along than the videos show...)
http://fastforwardthinker.com (under the "Design" section)

Work is moving along well on the controller for those of you that expressed interest... Right now I am just trying to figure out what is most important to users(features, size, cost, interface, etc.).

Regards,
Scott

Questions? Comments? Ideas? Email Me!
scott@fastforwardthinker.com

geposted Wed 30 Apr 03 @ 3:46 am
Me personally, choice (1)......

What about you?

geposted Wed 30 Apr 03 @ 5:35 am
If i would buy, i`ll prefer the full functions controller, but remember that the pro users don`t need any kind of joystick to pass the crossfader, because we use to mix the songs using an external mixer. Just it. I also thik that we don`t need the mouse. Be simple. Just the scrach interface and hot buttons, (play, pause, cue, pitch slides, pitch bend, etc).

geposted Wed 30 Apr 03 @ 7:23 am
The joysticks are actually just like buttons.... 8-way switches, which means you can control the majority of your main functions without ever taking your hands of the sticks, but there would still be additional buttons for things like loops and FX....

Scott

geposted Wed 30 Apr 03 @ 8:49 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003

geposted Wed 30 Apr 03 @ 9:25 am
mUd-VPRO InfinityMember since 2003

geposted Wed 30 Apr 03 @ 8:44 pm
jukesyPRO InfinityMember since 2003
What about any laptop users?

Would you prefer a version without shortcuts, just scratch facility.

Jukesy

geposted Wed 30 Apr 03 @ 9:29 pm

geposted Wed 30 Apr 03 @ 9:43 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Perhaps you could design 3... 1 without the scratch effect, with the option of adding the one with just the scratch..., and one that has both...

geposted Wed 30 Apr 03 @ 11:39 pm
#2 which is my personal preference. I'm not too big on the controller since its no different than a standard keyboard. Atomix is the best for scatching .... why not make it even better ?

Although $50 USD for a device like that would be kinda costly.

geposted Thu 01 May 03 @ 2:25 am
av-danoHome userMember since 2003
I would say Option 1 sounds cool. I like the idea of lumping things together. As for 1 or 2 wheels, I would think 2 would be better then one. (shrug) :-)

I would love to see it fit inside the top-part of my dj case in no-more then a 3U size (2U would be better) - and not too-deep either. (i.e. 2" depth would not be bad but 4" depth makes the unit have to go 'higher' on my top-slant-- and this type of controller I would want at the closest edge to me)

If it's really thin (like a keyboard type thin) then that gives the extra strength of being a top-set controller. Just don't make the cable that plugs into it a funky plug - like what they did with the ADJ Velocity. (you can't even put it on a table to use cause you 'rest' on the connectors and the back legs cannot touch the ground.)

Anywho - looks fun! 100$~150$ means I would pretty much buy it without having to budget for it.

geposted Thu 01 May 03 @ 2:48 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
A standard micro$oft optical mouse can run you near as much.....well maybe a little less but still I think the price seems reasonable.

geposted Thu 01 May 03 @ 2:49 am
Thank you all for your input. I value highly what the users want, and if all goes well, we are looking at july or august for a release date. (assumuing all funding, supplies, manufacturing, etc. goes according to plan, which it looks as though it is doing)

One more question:

A)Rack-Mount (bigger, metal case, more sturdy, more $)

-or-

B)Table-Top (smaller, plastic case, less $)

-Scott

geposted Thu 01 May 03 @ 7:26 am
av-danoHome userMember since 2003
How about table-top - with 'rackmount ears/tray upgrade' available to add to it?

Also - it would be really cool if the table-top model fitted in a rackmount tray - and was 'detachable' with or without cord (wireless) to use in a table-top fashion. (kinda like the old prophet 2000 samplers had thier display detachable so you could put it on your keyboard like a 'keyboard') (though honestly I don't know how much I would really 'detach' it)

(shurg)
smaller is better.

geposted Thu 01 May 03 @ 11:04 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Depends who you want to market it to. Most guys who make a living DJing will need it to be rack mountable...

geposted Thu 01 May 03 @ 11:44 pm
mhvuHome userMember since 2003
keep it under $100 mate.... I prefer option 2 since the keyboard is pretty damn useful when you use Atomix (if you can assign the shortcut keys properly). Also I use a notebook and external mixer. I guess I'm stuck with the small keyboard anyway, why not make uses of it. And think about it, when you are spinning at a club, would you like to play with the external mixer with at least 3 band equalizer or would you prefer to use the joy stick?. Any decent DJ would love to use the EQ instead of fading in, fading out songs. That is just flat out boring. ya feel me?
For me, I just need the scratch interface. The rest are taken care of from Atomix software.
Keep up the good work DiGiTize, your effort will be rewarded. Just keep the price low and people will come.

Here is my shortcut key list: (top of my head)
Toggle Effect (left deck) @ 1, 2, 3
Toggle Effect (right deck) @ NumPad 1,2,3
Magic Mix @ Space
Kill Bass (left deck) @ z
Kill Middle (left deck) @ x
Kill High (left deck) @ c
Kill Bass (right deck) @ ,
Kill Middle (R deck) @ .
Kill High (R deck) @ /
Exit loop (active deck) @ l
Nudge pitch up (active deck) @ Down Arrow
Nudge pitch down (active deck) @ Up Arrow
100% to left deck @ Delete
100% to right deck @ PageDown
Start song (active deck) @ ESC
Stop song (active deck) @ S
Go to cue 1 (active deck) @ CTRL + 1
Go to cue 1, play instantly (active) @ SHIFT+CTRL+1
.... so on up to cue 5

I would say the keyboard is the most useful tool for Atomixmp3, well... besides the external mixer and the software itself.

Just my 2 cents....

geposted Fri 02 May 03 @ 12:05 am

I use an external mixer, and I have never used the crossfader or eq built into atomix in my life.

***The buttons and joysticks are 100% assignable, just like a keyboard.*** So everyone can choose whatever they want as their shortcuts. It's your choice.

They idea behind the joysticks is this:
You choose your most used shortcuts (like play, pause, stop, etc.) and assign them to whatever direction you choose (up, down, left, right, etc.) NOW, play with the configuration for a couple hours, and you wil have memorized the directions flawlessly (trust me).

Now, if you want more shortcuts than the sticks provide, there is still more buttons that can be asssigned. The benefit of the joysticks is that your hands will never have to leave them (at least 90% of the time) leaving your eyes and your mind focused on f*ing with the music. Especially in low-light clubs/bars, you will have quite an advantage for beat matching and cueing the songs.

BUT, you can still use your external mixer, as I do, to mix the songs together and tweak the EQ. The joysticks simply improve and innovate on a technology that has been unchanged since it's inception. It may seem odd to most people at first, but believe me, an hour with those between your hands, and you will see the light....

Everybody's config of the controller will be different, just like everybody's config of the keyboard, the combos are endless. You can use a direction of a joystick or a button as a modifier (like say for example "shift" plus another key on a keyboard) allowing for a whole new array of shortcuts to be made. Bewtween the two sticks, and several modifiers (although more difficult to memorize) you could control every function of atomix with different combos of directions...

Regards,
Scott

geposted Fri 02 May 03 @ 6:47 am
Uhhh DUde
just keep it simple but still going with the whole look and feel of atomixmp3 but really THE ONLY THING YOU NEED IS THE BASICS: SIM. SCRATCH,2 PITCH CONTROL SWITCHES, CUE, PLAY/PAUSE, STOP, 3 EFFECTS SWITCHES, AND ALL THE LOOP SWITCHES, JUST MAKE IT STREAM LINED! AND MAKE IT LOOK LIKE I COULD GO WITH ANY SKIN, LIKE A TITANIUM FINSH YEAH!

geposted Fri 02 May 03 @ 3:25 pm
Yeah, I went a bit overboard there. The joystick idea is simple if you grasp the concept, but I think the final version may be only buttons....I'll just keep the prototype for myself ;)

geposted Fri 02 May 03 @ 9:13 pm
****New Question:****

Based upon your most-used shortcuts, the ones you couldn't live without, how many buttons would you require to effectively make use of a new controller???

I would need a minimum of about 25...

geposted Sun 04 May 03 @ 6:26 am
87%