Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Need some info from you digital boys!

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

DJ MARKHome userMember since 2003
Hi all,

I have been a vinyl player for a long time now and I am considering going over to Laptop with your program. I must admit that this is a big culture change for but I’m Kinda slowing down and doing more and more private functions and less of the hard hitting clubs. (Got kids now, have to take it easy!) Anyway, first time user here. Demo programme looks good. I have played around with it for about two weeks now and the sync is the best part about it.

2 Questions: Can I still get good quality by ripping a vinyl. I have tried but not very impressed with the sound. Anyone here rip vinyl, what is the best way to do this?

Second part: If I buy the full version, I need to know the following: My laptop only has one sound card with one line in so you cant monitor with only one line in! I have a Mecer A440 and I have phoned Mecer and they say that you cant upgrade the sound card, I will have to buy a new Laptop (that is not a option for me) Will a Y splitter work? If I cant monitor with my Laptop, then I don’t think I’m going to buy the full version, and stick to the vinyl and CD controllers.

Your help is appreciated!

geposted Wed 07 May 03 @ 11:11 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
As for ripping from vinyl I will leave that to DJ Rick. But about the single soundcard situation. It is possible to preview a track before playing it with a single soundcard. With a y splitter. Great function of AtomixMp3 allowing you to have 2 full mono channels.

geposted Wed 07 May 03 @ 11:24 am
Well ripping is easy....
Windows Media has a tweak called analog converter that lets you plug a audio device (tape,phono,whatever) and rip it in realtime and aswell as converting it to .wma it will eliminate pop's & snap's from vinyl playback. This Program is $20 bucks and can be purchased at your local computer store or if you prefer email me at - NO MAIL - and I'll "hook you up". IT's called windows media edition plus!
For Sound Cards however it's best to go with external. Creative makes a good external card called the Extigy but it will set you back $150 if you want it that bad but if your low on dough just get some Y splitters and do it like Homeboy said.

geposted Wed 07 May 03 @ 3:23 pm
1) Use cool edit pro for ripping or better yet, check out sonicfoundry.com. Make sure your plastics are totally free of dust and are using a high end needle.

2) Definately look into getting a higher-end usb soundcard. I don't recommend using a Y-Spliiter ... as you're not getting full sound ... and most on-board soundcards on laptops are of inferior quality. If you have the extra $$ .. go for an SB exity.

geposted Thu 08 May 03 @ 2:52 am
AHHH THAT'S WHAT I SAID

geposted Thu 08 May 03 @ 4:02 am
DJ CocoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Thanks for your help XxNuMbR1StUnNrxX ! !

DJ Coco

geposted Thu 08 May 03 @ 7:25 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I agree with using Cool Edit for making recordings of vinyl. I have done many vinyl recordings in the past, and it will turn out very good. It's been a while, but I think you want a 44,100 sample rate, and 16 bit stereo. When I did it, I recorded directly to wav files. You can always encode them to mp3 later. I DJ using a laptop computer. I use the standard on board sound device. Honestly, there doesn't seem to be the need to spend a lot of money on external sound devices. 2 nights a week I split the output via a splitter, sending mono sound to each channel. In the other bar I work at, I use a very inexpensive usb sound device as a 2nd stereo output. The laptops onboard sound device is one output, and the usb device is the 2nd. It sounds great, however there really is no great difference between the sound in that bar, or the other 2 where I just use a splitter. (I use the splitter in those 2 clubs because due to speaker placement, I couldn't use stereo anyway.)

geposted Thu 08 May 03 @ 8:00 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)