Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: What made you want to be a DJ?

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

For me it was about 2 years ago at my favorite club. I wasn't drinking because i was driving later so i could actually listen to the music. I relized that when the dj faded between songs it was horrible. he might have matched bpm but the bass hits/snare were off just enough to sound horrible... then i swear to god he played one cd and actually said over pa "this track might skip" I was appalled. if you are a proffesional dj buy a new copy of the cd, or heck just burn copies for just that reason!! anyway i told myself i knew i could do better than he was. so about a year ago i deployed to iraq and found someone with a demo of virtual dj (fellow soldier of course not iraqi) so i got a copy from him and i must say i think some people just have natural talent... anyway i have already made mixes 10 times better than the dj who got me started lol... anyway i just thought it would be nice to hear some stories of how people got into the addiction of djing.

geposted Tue 11 Oct 05 @ 6:17 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
I started when my bud dared me to touch the record, even when mom said no!!!!! Once i did my 1st zigga -zigga its been history since, but i do it now because i like it.

geposted Tue 11 Oct 05 @ 6:30 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Simular reason to yours m8.., went to various clubs and was never satisfied with a single DJ!, Commercial clubs anyway, Their was just no mixing and it was poor when attempted.., I knew I could do better too because I had musical knowledge at that point, from my production work.

I've been useing VDJ for 2 years now, and I spent a long time with it not being very good!, I decided to learn more about music and continued to practice, I can now say I've mastered DJ'ing for sure, you never stop improving and learning, but I know I'm one of if not the best DJ in my town.., and this was always my aim, to be better than the other locals and make my mixes stand out!, never to be famous or compete nationally.., because theirs always someone better round the corner.., and your not likely to be the best with time constraints etc..

So I think of myself now as a moderate DJ striving for excellence within my time constraints/marriage/other interests etc.

I will say this though "It's not what you know It's who you know", anyone can be a DJ.., anyone who happens to know the right people, other than that it's luck, that's why a lot of the best DJ's are confined to their bedrooms, and most clubs have chessy DJ's who don't really mix.

I can say that Virtual DJ has made the learning process easier, it's a program that really ups anyones standard of mixing once it's learned, the thing is to use that to your advantage and be better than the competition, If you use a computer and your not as good as the local CD DJ's then your gonna look pretty sad, Virtual DJ is a tool for learning and Excellence, so learn it and strive to be better.., then people will take you seriously..

Didn't want to go off topic, but once I start.. :).

geposted Tue 11 Oct 05 @ 6:41 pm
I started DJing when I was 16, a friend came over with 4 technic 1200's 2 mixers and some speakers and taught me the ropes. By the age of 18 I was a skating Rink DJ working about 8 - 12 hours a day spinning for kids all day and adults all night. it was a blast.

I started a full time job at the age of 21 and still dj'd clubs 5 nights a week. Within a year I was exhausted only sleeping 2 - 3 hours a night, dealing with crappy agents, then getting sick from lack of sleep I quit.

Now I work 1 night a week for 2 hours on a local college campus and take home the same pay as a full night in the club.

The only difference is my sets are all over the place from rock - rap - pop - house - trance and back again. It's not boring to say the least...

geposted Tue 11 Oct 05 @ 7:02 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I started with falling in love with music. I use to make tapes off the radio constantly until I had about every good song on tape (I was 15 didn't care about being illegal nor did I know). I then started doing little kid parties with a friend using two stereo systems and turning down one and then bringing up the other. Those were my first mixes....and they were horrible. In any case I kept getting jobs from friends, school, etc. I then met up with a friend who had actual dj equipment. Worked my butt off, but his old stuff when he quit and have been spinning ever since. Paid my way through college DJing. I did take a break as I built a business career but I'm back. Working on Friday and Saturday nights at various places around town or whenever I feel like since it's just extra spending money. Man how far things have come since audiotapes.

geposted Tue 11 Oct 05 @ 8:46 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
When I was 15 I start with this… Some friends at school joined themselves to monthly pay an Amplifier and initiate a business playing music for parties (late 1978). I love music and I want to be part of the team, I offer my home's speakers. I had 2 Fisher Hi-Fi speakers and an old Reel to Reel tape deck and no money at all. I was the best selecting and changing music and thus it’s as I began to be a DJ… (1979) (I started with a Garrad turntable and a technics belt drive turntable, one with pitch the othe without pitch).

I practiced and I felt “I can go to a club to be a club DJ and became a Senior DJ”… but I was too young and I couldn’t match one song that the manager of the club put as the first record to play… I dislike this song so much and I didn’t practice any mix with that song!!! … I was rejected after a terrible mix I done…

I was so disappointed that I pass 3 months trying to find a way to mix every kind of music, since then I realize a way to measure manually the songs of every kind of music. I organize my music, do some lists of that music, practice 4 hours daily (or more) and became a very good DJ at that time. (1980-81)

I become the owner of the small music party business in 1982, My equipment was stolen in 1986, I work in a club for 10 years (1988-1998), now my little brother have the equipment for rent and also become a DJ himself.

For me mixing was like ride a bike, I spent 4 years without mixing frequently, but I found AtomixMP3 and VirtualDJ. I finally buy it this year and I’m happier since then.

geposted Tue 11 Oct 05 @ 10:20 pm
My first gig was an 18 and over club back in about 1986. I was spinning R&B, Hip-Hop and top 40 with a monster system and a couple Technics 1200s. None of the equipment was mine, hell the records weren't even mine. I kinda stumbled into it as the I was the guy who hung out at the DJ booth pretty much the whole night, when I wasn't chasing skirts and dancing. I got the opportunity to get on as the resident and I went with. Once you have the feeling of controlling a massive dance floor throbbing with bodies rubbing all over eachother, that feeling is hard to replace with anything else. You either love it or you don't.

However, I stopped DJing for a really long time since vinyl was becoming a pain to get (CDs were easier, cheaper and you could make your own), and CD players sucked. I didn't even start thinking about getting back into it until I saw the Pioneer CDJ players get down. That gave me some hope, but they were $$$. I wasn't impressed by the clubs I saw using traktor cuz the mixes still sucked in my opinion.

When I saw the ad for the Hercules last December (I was booked to DJ a christmas party with Winamp), I bought it. I DJ'd the party with Hercules and VDJ (only crashed twice) and I was officially back in it. I'm gigging 3-4 times a week now and the mixes are sounding nice.

Now that I have the DZ-1200s, I sometimes flip from TCCD to regular CDs and mix that way, but it feels so limited compared to what I can do with VDJ. Looks like VDJ is gonna be in my life for sometime to come.

geposted Tue 11 Oct 05 @ 11:17 pm
I used to go to this particular club and got to be friends with the DJ. I'd always say how about this song with that one and they'd always work. He could see that I might be good at it. Well one day he offered to train me as his backup and the rest as they say is history. Then when he left some time later I got to take over as the number 1 DJ at the club. I continuted to do it for another year and a half and eventually gave it up. I was tired of the nightlife and I had done all I could do at that club. I needed a change. About a year later the club went bankrupt. They had several DJ's after I left but none of there were really good.

I do miss the feeling of being in the booth and having hundreds of people scream my name and party. Hopefully I can get a club gig again. Though I woulnd't want to do it full time again. A regular weekend gig would be awesome. I always ask around and I'm sure one day I'll get the chance again :-)

Peace

JumpinJim

geposted Tue 11 Oct 05 @ 11:58 pm
wow some of these stories are great... yeah see i started into music to be honest in 5th grade i joned bnd nad i can tell you being surrounded by all type of music for this long definatly helps when getting started djing... i have a couple friends who have demos of vdj and totally suck because they have no beat. heres a little example. my buddy was trying to fade between songs and his beats keep being off. he did not understand that just clikcing beatmatch wasnt goig to fix the issue. one of his tracks bpm wasnt correct so i showed him how to use the manual beat tap, "since were over here (iraq) and have no way of cueing up with headphones" anyway he just started tapping away at the button and had no clue what he was doing... sounded like popcorn hehe... anyway i guess some have it and some dont!

geposted Wed 12 Oct 05 @ 12:08 am
Gauge, this same no-beat thing affects people who can't dance. I mean really can't dance, can't find the beat to save their life. I've tried to dance off beat like them beat my body just can't hear music and move contrary. Well I guess it's just as hard for me to dance off beat as it is for them to dance on beat. I guess.

geposted Wed 12 Oct 05 @ 1:59 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)