Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: The Art of being A Dj

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Is the art of being a dj lost with all this technology. A freind of mine the other day said there are too many dj's now because of the new equipment.

I ask what are you doing to set yourself apart?????

geposted Wed 07 Jun 06 @ 7:52 pm
I believe my "specialty" is editing songs (mostly taking out profanity, etc.) In most cases, when I'm through with it you'd never be able to tell that the bad word was ever there unless you already knew the song. I do a lot of church youth dances, so this allows me to play songs that I normally wouldn't.

geposted Wed 07 Jun 06 @ 7:57 pm
why not just get the clean edits, seems like a lot of work on your part and wasted time. you should be doing real remixes of the songs not just editing curse words...

geposted Wed 07 Jun 06 @ 7:59 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
The art of DJ'ing will never change. It's about music selection, creativity and delivering it all in the shape the crowd wants it, it'll never be an easy job no matter what equipment you use, the technology provides a brighter platform for DJ's and nothing is sacrificed, you gain time, and time is very important in the DJ booth.

I'll quote John ‘00’ Flemings article in this months International DJ magazine:

"As we move into the 21st Century, the world of the DJ is undergoing a radical transformation. The equipment we use, and what format we play from, are changing to such an extent that some DJ booths now look like the flight deck of a spaceship!

With these changes and developments, inevitably, comes criticism. But are the critics simply showing their fear of technology? I believe the answer is ‘yes’.

The digital revolution is upon us in all areas of our lives. We now live in an age of electronic gadgets that make our lives easier. We take it for granted that our TVs are interactive, we want satellite navigation in our cars and our mobile phones are more like PDAs. We’re all pretty much computer literate; we couldn’t live without our e-mails or internet! It was surely inevitable that modern technology would have an equally revolutionary effect on DJing.

But I believe this digital revolution is a good thing, both for the music industry and for DJs. Must of us either own or have access to a computer, and this tool is the most priceless thing we DJs can have to find our music. We can find out anything about our favourite record labels and producers. We have access to release dates and artist news, and the best thing is that it is bang up-to-date (if people have been updating their websites properly!).

Not only can we explore and find information about the music we love, we can also listen to tracks, and now buy them on-line. The best thing is that this happens instantly. I myself now buy all my music online as a download. My hectic tour schedule limits the time I can take off to go record shopping, and even then it can be frustrating to find out that the tunes I want are out of stock.

But now I can hook up my laptop and connect to the internet from anywhere in the world, buy my tracks online and play them out that very evening. I even get my promos sent to me via my server. No more wading through envelopes when I get home, I simply browse through my inbox!

As more and more of us are buying our music in this format, we start to find ourselves with hard drives full of music. So it makes sense to be able to play our sets playing direct from our hard drives, rather than getting costly dub plates pressed or burning hundreds of CD-Rs. This is easily possible because of the many DJ software programs that are now available (I’ll go through these next month).

I can turn up to a gig and play a whole set from my laptop, and have access to my whole music collection on my hard drive. This makes sense, as I don’t have to lug around stupidly heavy record boxes. Yes, the critics make noise, saying performing from a laptop just isn’t the same and that it will never be accepted.

Just remember, the same critics said the very same about CDs, and look how they’ve become the norm: most A-list DJs now play at least half (if not all) of their set off CD. Every club in the world that I’ve performed at has professional CD decks, and any DJ turning up at a gig with two big record crates is starting to look a tad old school…

Now think to the future, when our mobile phones will hold 5GB memory sticks and will have access to ‘wifi hot spots’. We will be able to download music onto our phones at lightning speed. Our cars will have satellite radios with 100s of dance channels, where we will be able to hit our red interactive buttons and buy the current tune playing, and this will then be sent to the hard drive in the boot of the car.

The slightly scary thing is that this technology is just around the corner! This is why it’s so important to be up-to-date with this technology. Don’t forget that the new breed of young DJs are being bought up computer literate, and they’re used to working with MP3s, WAVs and waveforms. Using these new formats, they can make their own edits of tracks and perform amazing groundbreaking tricks. They are our future – and you don’t want to get left behind!

So over the next couple of months, I’ll be taking you through all aspects of digital mixing, from the hardware and software that you’ll need, to some of the incredible tricks you can perform that simply wouldn’t have been possible with two pieces of vinyl. Hold tight, cos we’re heading into the future and it’s going to be an exciting ride!

John ‘00’ Fleming "

geposted Wed 07 Jun 06 @ 9:04 pm
techology does not matter... djing as never about tools, but about music...

To quote International DJ magazine from other feature:

The best DJs aren’t necessarily the most technically gifted, they’re the ones who have a total understanding of the music and the dancefloor and have a quality sack of tunes… be they on vinyl, CD, MP3 or any other format that the future brings forth

geposted Wed 07 Jun 06 @ 9:51 pm
more from an excellent article :

Technology and the DJ
(International DJ Magazine - edited to make shorter, also most software refference is from 2005, hence Ableton and Traktor.. made it to general dj software)

The art of DJing has been through a transitional period over the past 20 years. No longer are we regarded simply as humble record changers....

The most obvious development is that CD is now firmly established. In fact, in 2005, the use of CD is so widespread that knowing how to use a CD player is pretty much essential is you’re going to call yourself a DJ... some commercial clubs are now choosing to only install CD decks in their DJ booths, so if this is your particular niche of the market then being able to DJ with CDs is paramount.

However, audio files are hot on CD’s heels and if it’s about getting tunes as upfront as possible then an MP3 is going to give you an extra stride on the DJ waiting for the CD to drop through the letter box. Just as labels and PR companies began mailing CDs as a more affordable and accessible means of promotion, many are now offering MP3 downloads to their mailing lists. Indeed, many top DJs prefer to receive their material this way nowadays....

It’s also not uncommon these days for tracks and mixes to be exclusively available as mp3 files.

The availability and convenience of mp3 files is certainly one reason for their increased uptake in the DJ world, but equally important is the fact that the technology used to play them allows you to do so much more than is possible with vinyl or CD.

Admittedly, many DJs are still converting and burning their downloads to play on a CDJ, but more interesting are the DJs using new and different technologies to whip up the dancefloor. There are numerous programs available to do this, covering all levels of skill and ambition.

Software systems ape the two decks and a mixer set-up... using laptops and MIDI controllers. Tom Autobot also DJs with Bez from Happy Mondays, and says it has revolutionised his work with the freaky dancer thanks to its tempo-looping feature. The beat-synch capabilities mean you can concentrate on other elements of the mix.....

“I was one of the people that really defended vinyl before software came out,” admits Chris Liebing “but when it did, it made me realise that we were behaving like horse riders as the first car came out. Technology is improving and as long as it helps me be creative I’m willing to use anything.”

And just as DJing is adapting to new technologies, so it is starting to fuse with the art of the VJ...

“It’s very exciting because it’s so different from any other DJ gig I’ve ever done before,” enthuses DJ Yoda, “though following a TV monitor is really weird.” Juggling tricks are out though for, as Yoda points out, “You need two DVJs and I don’t think anyone can afford that at the moment!”.

However, he firmly believes that this union of audio and video is the way forward for turntablism. “I think it’s all heading that way,” he reckons, “I think everyone’s just waiting for the right piece of hardware that combines everything, CD, vinyl and DVD, on one easy interface. There are a few coming close, but they’re not quite right yet.”

(Comment by me: Numark VV? hehe)

If you’re keen to join the digital set and are unsure where to go, then simple, sound advice is just to go with the programs and products you feel most comfortable with. As Chris Liebing says, “When it comes to DJ technology, things have never been more exciting than they are today.”
Some level of digital integration now the norm in most DJs’ sets .

The DJ booth of the future

DJ Yoda has predicted a future machine that plays CD, MP3, vinyl and DVD, but what else will we see in the DJ booth of the future? CD and MP3 playback are a dead cert and an internet connection will no doubt become commonplace...

What else? Well, visuals are making their mark so, despite their current price, it’ll surely become as common to see a pair of DJX-1s in the booth ..

John ‘00’ Fleming does concede that in the DJ booth of the future “CDs will still be very important – I can’t see software exploding to the masses. It will become very popular, but only with the people that understand music and software programs. As such I think CDJs will develop.
They’re gonna get more complicated and I’m already hearing things about how you’ll be able to plug in USB and FireWire pocket drives into the next generation of CD players. I can see touchscreens coming onto them too and that will move things forward for those DJs that aren’t very technical. The exciting thing is that no-one really knows!

(my comment again : Numark iCDX?;) hehe)

Everyone's a producer
It wasn’t long ago when it seemed everyone and his dog was a DJ. In 2005, the dog might still be spinning those platters but nowadays it seems the owners are all producers. The key reason for this is the increased affordability and accessibility of music-making software, and although this explosion of potential beat-smiths is naturally a double-edged sword, the positive side for DJs is that it’s never been easier to play your own creations and personalised edits.

Playing your own edits can make your performance stand out, whether you’re the resident at your local Dog & Duck or jetting around the globe every weekend.

The moral of the story being, leave your prejudices behind and use whatever tools are available…

On the other hand…
What people want to hear in a club is good music. Sure, tricks, bells and whistles can enhance a set, but they can equally detract from the music if performed badly or over-used. And playing good music is something that can still be done very, very easily with two turntables and a bag of good records. Just ask Mampi Swift – one of the biggest DJs on the D&B circuit, he famously still uses nothing but vinyl.

The best DJs aren’t necessarily the most technically gifted, they’re the ones who have a total understanding of the music and the dancefloor and have a quality sack of tunes… be they on vinyl, CD, MP3 or any other format that the future brings forth. So while all these new technologies are very exciting, don’t go burning your trusty 1210s just yet…

(my comment again ..lol... : timecode vinyls.. )
----
(END)

geposted Wed 07 Jun 06 @ 10:24 pm
Nice thread, I agree with the surplus amounts of DJ appearing now, but obviously that is something to be expected with all the CDJ equipment, and the explosion of IPOD MP3 fascination. Music is now something very intriguing, and now with the ease of MP3's, you really have to be very, very initiative to set yourself away from the pack.

I think what sets me apart would be my age when I do gigs. Being only 19, and being gigged every other night between local clubs, where I can't even order myself a beer ;-). I'm all the time getting, "you're how old now?" So I guess getting in a older atmosphere with my age is what sets me apart, but at the same time I remain true to the roots, I trained myself on vinyl turntables, and I will continue to remain on turntables as long as technology allows.

According to most though, I'm a "old soul." I personally feel you are born with a ear for music, what mixes with what, beat matching...etc. I guess where I'm getting at is, I think people are born with rhythm, and born to be musicians, DJ's. I'm also one of those people that treat my turntable as a percussion instrument, the biggest argument I have with locals is convincing people the turntable is a instrument lol.

Great thread by the way!

geposted Wed 07 Jun 06 @ 11:04 pm
DJBIGMARK
Professional edition user Posted Wed 7 Jun 06 @ 19:59:10

why not just get the clean edits, seems like a lot of work on your part and wasted time. you should be doing real remixes of the songs not just editing curse words...

what about clean edits downloads? anyone have an idea of who provides mp3 downloads in the lastest clean edits? You would think someone would have a company that sells the downloads, in promos, or radio edits, in mp3 version or wma

geposted Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 6:20 pm

geposted Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 6:43 pm
Not really a whole lot to seperate me from other local dj's except that I take a scientific approach whereas alot of the dj's around here don't wanna take the time for. Researching your target demographic, planning out speaker angles as to get best cxoverage, planning out for possible system failures, etc.. But IMO these are things that all dj's should do, unfortunatly many of them around here always want the easiest path and their performance suffers because of it;^]

geposted Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 9:19 pm
@ CoreyDavis ....... well that was interesting ......

to me turntables are/were the things that played the cool music when i was a kid or when dad wanted to play music for himself or a party....

i had 'em until cd's

i had a bit of an epiphany when my young daughter said why is it so big and scratchy (the vinyl ........ the record was an early beach boys recorded in mono ........ to me at the time it was uninmagineable that anything could be wrong , cuz , 1) it was the beach boys 2) it was a record not a cd ,
and 3) i was running the phono into my new bellari preamp ........ but to her it was just kinda weird and big and scratchy .......

see .... all yer customers are tough ........

geposted Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 9:26 pm
There have been a surplus of DJs in NYC for years now. Has nothing to do with new digital equipment.

What sets me apart from the other DJs? SONG SELECTION. All the equipment in the world will not help or tell a DJ what song he should play at what time.

I get tons of compliments from club owners about this. Usually they say "you are the first DJ i have ever had that not only plays good music... but also KNOWS when to play the appropriate songs".

Usually what they mean is... I am always one step ahead of them. I will change up the music at the right times. They will say in their heads "maybe its time for some old school"... and BAMM I whip out a set of old school without them even asking.

geposted Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 9:29 pm
I think this an age old conversation which all builds around two main focuses. 1) A dj has to have a natural appreciation or ear for music. If a person is born with this skill then the passion will naturally show. 2) Experience is a key factor as well. Having a sense of crowd pulse is dominance in our industry. Putting both together leads to a special energy that no matter what you play, it a hit. Or on the opposite side if you lose the attention you know how to get it back. A synergy with the crowd if you will.

I live by a quote:

find something you enjoy that you would do it for free, but you do it so well that they pay you to do it.

geposted Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 10:32 pm
You know there are lots of DJs out there. Way more than ever before. Being a DJ was once reverved as a negative thing, but not now. Yes it is true that many have very little talent and depend on the software/hardware/equipment more than pure God given skill. They are Jukebox DJs that won't go far...but those that have talent don't need to say they do because it is known of them. So for me the software/hardware/equipment don't make a DJ...his/her heart does.

I always believed this..."an artist can make a masterpiece with a stub pencil on a simple brown paper bag."
This is my personal quote...feel free to use it.

MS

geposted Fri 24 Aug 07 @ 3:17 am
I always love the moments when I'm at work, and someone-who-thinks-there-cleverer-than-you walks upto the booth, and spouts; "Hey, isn't it good how this technology can do it all for you!" to which I reply, "Yeah, but isn't it even better that I can go home, hook this upto my decks, and control all of the music I can possibly think of with real vinyl!!!"

Their confused faces really do make me smile. Simply because their purism and non belief in LaptopDJs shows their sincere lack of keeping up with technology!

Oh well... giggle...

geposted Fri 24 Aug 07 @ 3:43 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
CoreyDavis wrote :
surplus amounts of DJ appearing now

Great line!! You Might want to copy write it. I am going to use that as a sales line from now on......;-)

geposted Fri 24 Aug 07 @ 3:46 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)