Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How To Scratch

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Personally I can't stand Scratching - sounds like the DJ cannot beatmatch. plus it just sounds offensive.
but for you newbies to the DJ Trade here is a link that give good clear instructions and video on how to perform this useless act. ;) (gotta get my digs in when I can)

http://www.futureproducers.com/tutorials.php?PHPSESSID=be6f0a15227926ce7de35ac05a090498

you have to register to watch the videos

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

P.S. My odometer turns over on Tuesday so my GF had me Take the night off for a little pre birthday party. The Doormen asked her If it was allright to get me blind stupid stinking drunk. And she said yes (the little bitch)

I ended up dancing on the speaker platforms in a hockey jersy over my shirt and a pair of heart boxers overtop my jeans and only half over my ass.

I hate Sambuuca
I hate Beer
I hate Shooters
And What ever else got poured down my throat
what a night

geposted Mon 27 Nov 06 @ 3:02 am
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005

geposted Mon 27 Nov 06 @ 3:43 am
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
It takes much more skill to master the art of scratching then beatmatching which anyone can learn in a few weeks.

geposted Mon 27 Nov 06 @ 3:45 am
DJ Marcel_1 wrote :
Personally I can't stand Scratching - sounds like the DJ cannot beatmatch. plus it just sounds offensive.
but for you newbies to the DJ Trade here is a link that give good clear instructions and video on how to perform this useless act. ;) (gotta get my digs in when I can)

I guess hiphop ain't your thing. Cause you're actually right, hiphop without scratching is just offensive. Plain garbage & boring. Or maybe the people you've heard scratching suck that's why they sounds like they cannot beatmatch.

VDJ has the beatmatching down. So basically what you're saying is, since you don't scratch or do any tricks, all you do is just pick the right song. Why not just make a playlist.

geposted Mon 27 Nov 06 @ 3:52 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I think its good to vary your sets and transitions, this includes scratching. Scratching is an art which requires alot more practice than any other dj'n form. Sounds good when the timing is on and not over done IMO. I like to think of scratching like drums... alternating between your bass drum beat and top hat.

geposted Mon 27 Nov 06 @ 8:00 am
my favorite dj is The OG Ron C. dont wanna break any rules about promoting stuff but y'all gotta check the Chamillionaire - Sound of Revenge album, the Screwed & Chopped by OG Ron C Remix. its CRAZY!!!. on track 7 about 1 minute before it ends, its starts to mix into track 8 and then he scratches the beginning of track 8 to make it match his original beatmatch at the very end of track 7. i probably didnt explain it correctly but to me thats ones of the highlights of the cd. its very easy to do too. this mite sound weird but that cd was an inspiration to me. y'all just gotta check it out, that whole cd is just crazy!! anybody else agree?

geposted Tue 05 Dec 06 @ 6:09 am
NiemsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Well we got to keep in mind that the 2 types of DJ's are club and scratch.

A pure scratch DJ would much rather do a couple of scratch sessions than stand for hours mixing music like the club DJ's do.

Seeing as this software is aimed more at the club devision, (because of it's native interface that is pretty useless for scratching [mouse and keyboard] ), I'm guessing most of us will be using the software for club use.

The club DJ would prefer to keep his hands busy by triggering loops, effects and samples to create a audio-visual effect, as well as controlling lighting equipment, rather than fiddling with the turntables themselves. Sure, you get a few club DJ's that will put in a half to one hour session of hip-hop where you can add a few scracthes here and there, but for the majority of people using the software, this isn't something that really appeals to them.

Keep in mind that a scratch DJ is using his equipment more as an instrument rather than to create a whole-night party. The equipment we use to play music happened to double as an instrument, simply because of the physical medium used, which was vinyl. This creates a whole 'art' that could be described as being just as hard learning to play the guitar as such for a different person (if you want to make your scratches very professional).
So this makes scratching for a club user more of a side instrument as such, which is not necessary to his whole profession and success.

Also look at the benefits. Im not supporting one type or the other, but in my country, its only the club DJ's that can make it big by releasing full length CD mixes and such. The scratch DJ might only be heard in the background of a couple of songs heard on the radio.

This creates a vast conrast in the community. For example, if you head over to the skratchworx forums, scrathing and that stuff is probably the only thing they talk about.

Its interesting to see that the people who play the music have almost as diverse taste as the people who make the music in the first place :)

geposted Tue 05 Dec 06 @ 11:58 am
i dont know much about club music or how much they sell or whatever but here in texas, theres a few hip hop dj's that can sell a mixtape with PLENTY of scratching thats screwed n chopped and all mixed perfectly that can even be played at a party......but of course nobody would dance to it especially since its so slow sometimes. its pretty much just meant to chill out or to bang loud as hell in your car but people love them. believe me, if theres a song that i like, i will chop n screw it immediately and it will sound 3 times better. and like i posted earlier, artists even make a 2nd version of their album thats screwed n chopped cuz its all mixed in and has some/alot of scratching in it.

and your right too, i would rather play with turntables than mess with loops and lighting.

geposted Wed 06 Dec 06 @ 12:14 am
Couple of good opinions stated here; But the origional point of my post was the Instructional video's available on the link I provided. However due to my outspokenness I have sparked a debate on scratching, good or useless?

For me It is no good here's why: 1) People Don't dance to it
Actually that's my only point I guess, I've watched some of the scratching vids that from time to time get posted here and I've played them for some of the waitresses at work and they all say the Exact same thing - WOW That's COOl!!!! but it gets boring to hear all the time and the girlies can't dance to it.

And I don't get payed for an empty dance floor.

Scratching for me? - Not gonna happen anytime soon.
DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

geposted Wed 06 Dec 06 @ 2:22 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)