Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: XP and Vista on same laptop?

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

mainedjPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Just wondering if it's possible to install Vista after it's released mainstream to my laptop and keep XP for VDJ.
I am just concerned with compatibility with vdj and vista.
I don't want crashed on vista with vdj, even though I've read that it runs vdj great.
I would be getting vista so I can play Halo 2 on pc basically, but I don't want to upgrade my home pc yet. ;)
A computer tech friend of mine told me if I was that concerned with that, I could install both, and have them set under different usernames.

What do you think, and if it can work, how do I do it?

Oh yeah, while I'm at it, does anyone play Halo, Unreal Tournament, or F.E.A.R. for pc?

Thanks!

geposted Fri 08 Dec 06 @ 12:51 am
You can create another boot partition on your hard drive (using Partition Magic or other programs) and install Vista on that new partition. I think Partition Magic comes with a program called Boot Magic that will help you set up a dual-boot screen when you start your computer (you can choose to boot XP or Vista). Otherwise, you can edit your boot.ini file to create your own boot screen, however, i wouldn't recommend that unless you know what your doing.

geposted Fri 08 Dec 06 @ 1:23 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
yes good thing to do even better if you have two drives u can install vista on one (say a removable) and xp on the internal

geposted Fri 08 Dec 06 @ 1:20 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Yes i have a dual boot on my laptop: one partition for Vista, one for XP and another one for data

geposted Fri 08 Dec 06 @ 4:57 pm
So if I got another Western Digital "My Book" and installed Vista for an operating system, that would work, and just ran my games on it, it would work with my laptop?
I guess I don't understand how it would see the ram,video card and etc. would work.

geposted Fri 08 Dec 06 @ 10:53 pm
whats ur pc spec

geposted Fri 08 Dec 06 @ 10:59 pm
goombaHome userMember since 2006
I am currently running windows Vista with VDJ and the program runs extremely smoothly. The problem is that the software is not reading a proper time code from the vinyls. The sound comes in fine but it gives me a 0% for time code signal. when I look at the spectrograph it seems that the sound is coming in fine and the record spins and I can scratch, but the sound comes in funny and I cant skip to different parts of the track using the needle. I don't know if this is a driver issue with vista or if I am doing something wrong. I am using a U46DJ soundcard. Anybody know whats up?

geposted Sat 09 Dec 06 @ 1:35 am
Alienware Area-51® m5550

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5500 1.66GHz 2MB Cache 667MHz FSB
Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2
Display: Alienware® m5550 15.4" WideXGA 1280 x 800 LCD - Saucer Silver
Motherboard: Alienware® Intel® 945PM + ICH7 Chipset
Memory: 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 512MB
System Drive: 60GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 5,400 RPM w/ NCQ & 8MB Cache
Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 24x10x24 CD-RW / 8X DVD Combo w/Software MPEG2 Decoder
Video/Graphics Card: 256MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 7600

geposted Sat 09 Dec 06 @ 3:12 am
NiemsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Running games off an external hard drive is NOT recommended UNLESS the Mybook can run with your laptop using firewire2 / 1394b 800mbps.

Running off usb2 will bottom out your performance, unless the particular games doesnt use the hard drive after loading (counter strike ect).

geposted Sat 09 Dec 06 @ 10:23 am
mainedj wrote :
Alienware Area-51® m5550

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5500 1.66GHz 2MB Cache 667MHz FSB
Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2
Display: Alienware® m5550 15.4" WideXGA 1280 x 800 LCD - Saucer Silver
Motherboard: Alienware® Intel® 945PM + ICH7 Chipset
Memory: 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 512MB
System Drive: 60GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 5,400 RPM w/ NCQ & 8MB Cache
Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 24x10x24 CD-RW / 8X DVD Combo w/Software MPEG2 Decoder
Video/Graphics Card: 256MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 7600

you can use vista premium edtion

for ultimate youl need another gig of ram :)

geposted Sat 09 Dec 06 @ 8:12 pm
I'm using an XP / Vista dual boot on my laptop. If you install vista from within XP it will take care of all the dual boot options for you. VDJ runs perfectly under vista. Where the problem lies with vista is sound card drivers for my Gigaport AG. Nothing exists for vista unfortunately and given ESI's past poor performance with drivers, I'm worried about what will happen when vista is officially released in January. Someone above mentioned the U46dj. I have serious doubts that the drivers for this work under vista since ESI doesn't even have that working properly under XP yet! Allin all vista seems pretty nice. You'll need a pretty decent machine to run it though.

geposted Sun 10 Dec 06 @ 3:11 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)