Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: PRESONUS FIRESTUDIO AUDIO PROBLEM

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?
Here's my problem. I have a Presonus Firestudio sound card that I purchased for my home studio. I hooked it up to my system this week to time code my Denon DN-S3500's. It sounds great but when I navigate between different screens in Virtual DJ the audio goes away for a split second. I never had this problem with my Gigaport AG. I installed the latest ASIO drivers from presonus but I still have this problem. What could be my problem?????

geposted Tue 27 Mar 07 @ 5:58 pm
sounds weird.

Might be an IRQ conflict between graphic card and firewire, but probably not.

My guess would be that you have too low latency, and that the system struggles to stay at that.
So try setting AUTO for latency in VDJ performance tab, and adjust the latency in the Presonus control pannel abit higher if needed.

Hope that helps

geposted Tue 27 Mar 07 @ 6:16 pm
I think I tried that last night, but I will try again tonight. I'm going to look at my IRQ settings also, I didn't do that. As far as my system, I don't think power is an issue. I have a Dell XPS 2010. It's A core 2 duo 2.33 with 2gigs of ram and dual 100gb hard drives with raid. But again my system was running perfect with the Gigaport AG sound card. I just love the way it sounds now that I would hate to have to go backwards to the Gigaport AG sound card, plus it's alot more fun to DJ with the Denon DN-S3500's timecoded. This doesn't mean I don't like my DAC-3, I still love it. I would just like to have the best of both worlds I guess.

geposted Tue 27 Mar 07 @ 6:44 pm

What exactly happens?

when you go from music browser to sampler, the sound drops?

Or is it something else you do ?

geposted Tue 27 Mar 07 @ 9:23 pm
Here's what happens. When I open the audio effects screen or when I just search through folders on the left side of the browser or when I search through playlists sometimes the audio cuts out for a split second. It doesn't freeze, The wave on top keeps moving but the audio cuts out for a split second. Again, it doesn't do it all the time just sometimes ( I would say 60% to 70% of the time). What's weird is that I wasn't getting this problem with the Gigaport AG. I guess it's also a totally different scenario because the Presonus Firestudio is running in ASIO.

geposted Tue 27 Mar 07 @ 9:35 pm

my best guess would be that you are trying to run the asio on too low latency, and that this is straining your PC real hard, so that things like browse the music, will interrupt the needed flow of data for that latency.

Latency is audio buffer, and ASIO needs a bit of that, to allow other things to happen on your PC.
(it uses the buffer, while it waits for CPU to be free again)

Btw, the same goes for IRQ, which is the "phone line" a hardware has to the CPU, so if the graphic card (refreshed graphics as you browse) and the firewire port share IRQ, this might give the same effect.

I still bet on too low latency set, as Firewire cards are notorious of having too low default latency set at the control pannel

1) Try using AUTO for latency in VDJ performance tab
2) Adjust the latency in the soundcard control pannel to a bit higher, both audio latency and firewire latency (many firewire cards have seperate setting for this)
3) Rerun your timecode config, as you need this each time you change latency

Dont think of latency as something bad, its after all in mili-seconds, so you want notice it.
But the PC needs it ;)

geposted Tue 27 Mar 07 @ 9:45 pm
I'm going to try that, It sounds like great advice. I tried playing around with the latency last night but I never refreshed the timecode config.

Should I also close Virtual DJ and bring it back up inorder for these changes to take effect?

I don't think my soundcard has sepperate latency controls. It has a screen where I can change the sample rate, latency and sync clock.

geposted Tue 27 Mar 07 @ 9:52 pm
Restarting VDJ wont hurt, but you dont need it (in theory), but a restart wont hurt;)

yeah, not all firewire cards have latency settings for both audio and firewire port, so having one is better (easier to use)

Use 44hz sample rate, and at LEAST 5ms/256 buffer latency...
And remember to make sure latency in VDJ is set to AUTO at latency (performance tab)
Proffesional cards needs that setting for some reason

geposted Tue 27 Mar 07 @ 9:57 pm
I'm going to try that tonight. I think the latency on my card can be set from 64 to 1024. I'm going to try the 256 mark like you said. I'm also going to check on the IRQ side to see if there are any conflicts. Hipothetically, let's say I do all this and I still have this problem, does this mean this soundcard just isn't compatible with VDJ ?

geposted Tue 27 Mar 07 @ 10:05 pm

I doubt the card is not compatible, as VDJ uses directX and asio drivers. So almost any soundcard out there can be used with VDJ.

And as long as you have sound already, chances are good that its only the settings that are wrong.

geposted Tue 27 Mar 07 @ 10:14 pm
Cool, that's good. I will follow your great advice and repost to let you know how I made out.

geposted Tue 27 Mar 07 @ 10:24 pm
Well, I tried to fix my ongoing problem last night and had no success. I tried the latency setting that dj-in-norway told me to use and I still had the same problem with the audio. As far as the IRQ setting I went to the IRQ screen and I was pretty much lost. What should I use as a procedure to check my IRQ settings?

BTW, Kudos to the Dev Team for v4.3
Keep up the great work guys !!!

geposted Wed 28 Mar 07 @ 4:40 pm
DJ FORMATPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
dj-in-norway you are the man i love wot you do for VDJ.
You gif great advice.

DJ FORMAT

geposted Wed 28 Mar 07 @ 7:56 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Dj_john24 wrote :
Well, I tried to fix my ongoing problem last night and had no success. I tried the latency setting that dj-in-norway told me to use and I still had the same problem with the audio. As far as the IRQ setting I went to the IRQ screen and I was pretty much lost. What should I use as a procedure to check my IRQ settings?

BTW, Kudos to the Dev Team for v4.3
Keep up the great work guys !!!

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/60644/Hardware_Technical_Support/_HW_How_to_solve__issues_with_bad_sound__unstable_devices__pops_and_crackles_.html

enjoy:)

geposted Wed 28 Mar 07 @ 8:00 pm
Ok great. I just went on presonus website. It seems as though the Presonus Firestudio has some issues with Windows XP. I guess I'll be taking my firestudio back to Guitar Center and exchanging it for something else like the MOTU Firelite.

geposted Fri 30 Mar 07 @ 9:24 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)