Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: external HD as 'record bag'

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I've been tasked to evaluate virtual DJ softwares for a nightclub in town. Of all the major players/vendors, VDJ seems to come out on top by far. The one big question mark remaining is:

if a DJ has his music stored on an external HD (his 'record bag') and it is analysed with VDJ on a copy of VDJ at his home/studio, will the VDJ tags be visible to another copy of VDJ (eg, the club) ? the manual implies, yes; but my hands-on testing seems to prove otherwise (analysed ~200g of mp3s yesterday on 1 test copy of VDJ, then moved usb harddisk to other test installation and had no bpm info).

geposted Thu 12 Apr 07 @ 3:39 pm
Rory05PRO InfinityMember since 2005
You also need the VDJ Database file (the XML one) and you need the other mp3 database file which is a txt file, which are in the root folder!! The DJ would need to put his into the VDJ root folder of the VDJ in the club!

That should sort it out! Someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

Rory.

geposted Thu 12 Apr 07 @ 3:46 pm
ouch....

so, VDJ is _NOT_ machine agnostic ? as a systems architect my task is to design a "DJ workstation" that is plug-n-play (i was hoping that the write VDJ tags would be the 'magic' here) -- the DJ's would not have access to modify the machine in the club as it would be fully locked-down with something along the lines of deep freeze. if i'm understanding you correctly, the incoming DJ would have to over-write the VDJ xml/txt database files (with those that he's remembered to copy from his home installation) each time he arrives to the club ?

geposted Thu 12 Apr 07 @ 4:07 pm
and what in the scenario of multiple DJ's tag-teaming a night from their respective usb disks ?

geposted Thu 12 Apr 07 @ 4:11 pm
well i guess PRAY for a solution

geposted Thu 12 Apr 07 @ 4:52 pm
i'm hoping the solution exists and can be PAID for

geposted Thu 12 Apr 07 @ 4:57 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hehe, I've been on about this for about a year now... ;-)

You can do it if you don't mind messing about keeping a copy of your XML and database files on your removable drive. When you plug that drive into the PC, those files then have to be copied to the VDJ folder on that computer's C drive. At the end of the set, copy them back to the removable drive for next time.

Big pain in the a$$.

It would be sooo much simpler if you could just set up the location of the XML and database files from within the config. Just a little box where you enter the directory of where you keep your database info, rather than being forced to keep it in C:/program files/virtualdj... Take a look at PCDJ Red, we've been able to do this for YEARS using that system... there's an option in the config called "recordcase location".

Seriously, this would be so simple to do for the next update... PLEEEEEEEAAAASSEE VDJ team, loads of us use external drives and two PCs, and are crying out for this feature!

geposted Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 6:40 am
What about splitting the user ( login )... So virtualDJ is on each computer login

One computer, one software, multi login, data and xml file stored on each login. I guess that might still cause confusion and complicate the matter of people entering the computer ( but with their own login )

geposted Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 7:17 am
I bet somebody could quite easily write a plugin for this though.

All it would need is a screen to browse for the location of the file of the external hard drive. Then you click OK and it copies/merges it into the default location and starts VDJ as normal.

Use as normal then when you close the program it would copy the database back to the external drive.

Obviously, it would be better if VDJ just did that automatically! But if you post over in the plugins forum, somebody might fancy coding something like that.

geposted Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 10:16 am
surlypants wrote :
and what in the scenario of multiple DJ's tag-teaming a night from their respective usb disks ?

Exactly.

This is a major issue in this very common circumstance that I hope will be addressed shortly.

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

geposted Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 1:47 pm
About time, this is something that should've been addressed a while ago. It just doesn't make sense.

geposted Fri 13 Apr 07 @ 2:49 pm
Yupp. I even think I may have asked this some years ago (don't quite remember).

I've been like the only one using VDJ in my circle, but lately people have been catching on, and this issue is one of the reasons some are having doubts about VDJ. We usually play two or more DJ's in one night, and not beeing able to plug&play with external drives is a major pain. This is one of the biggest flaws of VDJ, and I can't understand why it haven't been adressed earlier. The whole database XML/no id tags thing should have been resolved ages ago.

geposted Sun 27 May 07 @ 10:08 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
they are aware of this issue and are looking into it.

geposted Mon 28 May 07 @ 12:43 am
k_onePRO InfinityMember since 2006
skyfxl wrote :
they are aware of this issue and are looking into it.

wuhu!!
I love it when moderators say that! Update in progress...sweet!

geposted Mon 28 May 07 @ 2:44 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)