Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Protecting external hard drive from a jumping crowd

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

grugPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I was just wondering what do you do for protecting an external hard drive when the crowd is too close to the DJ table and going nuts (eg jumping lots). It normally hasnt been too much of a problem for me until now I had just folded a towel a few times and placed the drive ontop of it but last weekend I was at a venue where I was really worried the drive was going to pack it in from the shock of the crowd jumping too close. Is there any sort of anti-shock mats I can buy?

Cheers
Mike

geposted Sun 24 Jun 07 @ 4:39 pm
I wouldn't worry about it too much. An external HD can take quite a beating.

geposted Sun 24 Jun 07 @ 5:12 pm
DOUBLE SIDED TAPE - VELCRO

geposted Mon 25 Jun 07 @ 5:50 pm
Meh a good HD will only crash when you drop it off of your table. A bit wobbly won't hurt at all.

geposted Mon 25 Jun 07 @ 5:57 pm
If I fire a shot in the air, that usually backs them up a little, so they are not that close.

geposted Mon 25 Jun 07 @ 8:41 pm
The double sided tape + velcro would make things worse because if its attached to the table thats shaking like its got epilepsy then the drive is gonna take a worse beating than being on a soft cushion.

Im not talking about just abit wobbly either. I mean when a crowd are jumping in unisen right next to the dj table if I didnt have the hard drive on a towel it would probably be moving around all over the table from the vibrations.

geposted Tue 26 Jun 07 @ 12:46 am
As long as it doesn't fall off, i wouldn't worry about it too much.

geposted Tue 26 Jun 07 @ 1:39 am
KregCZPRO InfinityMember since 2005
If you want take a pice of wood a few inches bigger than the drive, put a long eye-hook in each corner and criscross rubberbands side to side and across the center and set your HDD on that.
The rubberbands will take the shock away. Some people use bungie cord insted of rubberbands because the don't brake.

geposted Tue 26 Jun 07 @ 7:27 am
A HDD is fairly resilient, think about how much laptops can get bashed around in some situations.

You can buy rugged rubberised housings for a HDD, . They should absorb a fair bit of shock.

geposted Tue 26 Jun 07 @ 10:09 am
KregCZ has the right idea, these used to be available commercially but it's easy to make something. The only pics I could find to explain the concept are here :-

http://www.polpo.org/gallery/suspension

geposted Tue 26 Jun 07 @ 12:51 pm
KregCZPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Thanks for the pics
I never seen that before,
That's a great idea.
I was just thinking about how
a lot of clubs use rubberbands to
keep turntables from skipping
and how simple it would be to make a small one for a HDD

geposted Wed 27 Jun 07 @ 6:28 am
haz0rdPRO InfinityMember since 2006
That seems cool but seems a little overboard.
The external Drives are pretty tough if your worried
get one with a rubberized case, get two. and backup your data nightly

thanks,

geposted Wed 27 Jun 07 @ 7:16 am
and dont forget to put a copy of the data base on there to

geposted Wed 27 Jun 07 @ 9:00 pm
Ever think of putting it on the floor or a box near you and the floor instead of the table?

geposted Thu 28 Jun 07 @ 3:12 am
read this!!!!!!!!
closed cell foam--3 inches thick
this is yatching foam that saved mylife when i use to dj with turntables and vynl years ago
it dampens the vibration a million times better than towels
my records never and i mean NEVER scratched when i found this out
i use to put four squares of it under my round case wheels'
or under the legs of tables
this saved my life and many others with whom i recommened it toooooooo
you can get it at a regular rag shop etc
or just google it
good luck

geposted Thu 28 Jun 07 @ 4:15 am
Thanks for all the responses - some great ideas!! I always do have another external backup but as you all know a crash in the middle of a gig is one of a DJ's worst nightmares. Cheers!

geposted Thu 28 Jun 07 @ 5:14 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)