Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DVD/VOB Download Service likely soon? - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
For those of you who do video or even work in the industry (I know we had someone from Promo only on here not so long ago), can you see a DVD/VOB Music video DL service coming soon?..

There are already legal services where you can stream full length movies in HQ video formats, and I'm sure with the broadband connections available today, people would be able to download 250mb VOBs fairly easily, so why doesn't such a service come available? surely the first to do it would make a great profit, and DJ's/VJ's would be able to choose what they buy, as many of the DVD's don't look so hot imo.

When you think of the subscription services, where you have to pay 30-40 pounds per month for a DVD full of lots of crap, does that make financial sense? for me such subscriptions are very unattractive, I'd rather pay per Video (even if it works out more expensive per video) of my choosing, something like $5-7 per video.

geposted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 8:11 pm
I would love something like this. It's just more practical. I think $7 is a little high but $3-$5 is reasonable. Unless its remixed or mashed with another song.

geposted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 8:27 pm
KregCZPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I-Tunes already sells videos for the I-Pod, so I'm sure someone soon will be doing a site for better quality ones soon. I spoke with one of the head guys from Screenplay Video Service and he said he's trying to put one together but is in negoations with the 3 major copywrite agencys and has 2 on board and 1 that is giving him a hard time, he tells me that he won't do it until he has all 3.
One of the things the Lables are worried about is that people will only buy the hits and classics and ignore anything new that they are trying to promote. That is one of the reasons Promo Only DVDs usually have between 5 - 10 good songs 30 that suck.
He said they may have to set something up where you buy 1 new song and can order 2 or 3 older ones,
or maybe when you buy you songs you may have to buy a 2-3 song set, a hit song and 1 or 2 promotional songs. They haven't worked out the details and that's why it's not up yet.
He said he's aming for a $2.50 - $3.00 price range per video but that may change.

geposted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 11:01 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
That sounds promising. About the promoting of new material, DJ's and consumers alike will always choose what they buy, listen to, watch and sell, this can't be controlled through obligating DJ's to buy bad material, as they (like me) will not play the bad material in public and will in turn choose to subscribe and/or buy from another service which doesn't bind consumers to the same conditions.

it would be a good idea (as this service would be aimed at DJ's) to bundle the "risky" material with the premium songs for FREE, for example if you buy a beyonce video for $3, you get a few crappy videos unlocked which you can choose to download for free or not (previewing would be key).

geposted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 11:29 pm
d rocksPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Bagpuss, you are correct! I don't care how many promotional crap they load a disc up with. It it's crap, then I just don't play it. What Promo Only (et al) should pay attention to is the market. For example, when I open up my new cd or dvd, I look it over to see how many good tracks are on it. While I am surprised every once in a while, most of the time I know what is going to be good. (If you listen to the radio you can get a clue). If 75% of the stuff on there is promo crap, I begin to evaluate the value of the subcription. Should something come along that offers more value, albeit it may be slight more expensive, I would jump on it. If you pay $30 for a dvd and it has 10 songs that are hits, then surely someone would pay $50 for a dvd that has 50 on it. I think the issue is they simply don't have 50 hits across all the genres in a month. That would hurt them because then they can't sell all those specialty discs I suppose.

geposted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 3:57 pm
djreneePRO InfinityMember since 2004
I just renewed one of our PROMOONLY video subscriptions last week (Hot Video) to the tune of $321.00 (US Dollars) for 12 issues. (We have three subscriptions) Yesterday I received my September 2007 issue. I had to laugh when I saw the 2nd song on the DVD was as close to being a hit as it's going to be about 3 months ago. Talk about being current.... geeesh!

Just like every other issue I've received over the past 12 months I'm lucky if there are 10 videos I can use. One can do math as see the real cost of what we pay and it does really get OLD.

I'd also welcome paying per video.

geposted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 4:30 pm
I do remember reading in another forum, that DJ Scotty B. who does the programming over at Promo Only said that the labels are the ones that are paranoid about a download service. Services like I-tunes have DRM in their videos. Labels are very protective of their stuff, they still haven't really caught on yet. People (especially DJs and VDJs) don't want to wait, they want it NOW.

geposted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 9:09 pm
GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
This sounds familiar. A customer asking "when are you going to change the music" or "can you play something decent" or "can you play something i can dance to"!

Every DJ that works in a commercial venue has heard these lines at some point, because its impossible to keep everyone happy.

I bet the guys that are putting the DVD's together think exactly the same thing.

If music companies are not reading this, then moaning about them won't make any difference, but if someome from a company like 'Promo Only' is reading this, then you guys have the perfect opportunity to name the songs you want on the DVDs. If you don't know what songs you want, then you are probably relying on another medium such as radio or music television or your customers to dictate to you what they want to hear. If you are purchasing a DVD, for once in your musical life, YOU become the customer. Do these DVD companies have websites? Do they have a forum where you can ask for certain songs on thier next release? If you are not getting what you want or what you pay for, why do you keep buying?

Because VDJ utilises video, i'm sure a lot of you guys purchase music DVD's, probably more than any other group of DJ's that use computers. Maybe its about time these DVD producers listened to what the DJ's want.

If you stop buying them, they'll have to create something you will buy.

geposted Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 6:55 am

geposted Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 9:47 am
djreneePRO InfinityMember since 2004
"If you are not getting what you want or what you pay for, why do you keep buying?"
"If you stop buying them, they'll have to create something you will buy"

Wow what a clever Idea?.. why didn't I think of it! I'm going to quit buying anything and take a couple of years off till they get their act together!

I'll show them who's the boss, thanks for the novel idea.

geposted Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 2:27 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
@djrenee -- the point there is that PO is not the only game in town -- has anyone looked at Jones TM - www.jonestm.com ?

geposted Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 2:50 pm
Hey guys,

Don't forget about itunes plus- any itunes plus video will play in VDJ. Here in the UK at least there's not many videos on itunes plus, but there is a few and the quality isn't bad either.

also, www.my12inch.com has video downloads if you're into hip hop/ r n b

A proper one with full dvd quality would be nice though!

geposted Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 3:49 pm
Jones TM (formerly Century TM) is supplied by Screen Play, and they are as bad as Promo Only. The problem is there really isn't any competition becasue there are only 3 or 4 licensed services and they all get the same stuff from the labels and sell all this crap for the same price because they no we really have no other alternative.........buy the way, it isn't the monthly cost ($320 per year is very reasonable) but it is what we get (or more accuratley what we don't get) that we all object too.

The solution is really very very simple and it would solve the record labels "only buy the hits" comment and the dj's "why are we paying for so much crap" problem...........the idea goes waaaaaaaaay back to the days of record pools.

How about a true downloadable video pool...post ALL the videos from ALL the genres for a fee each month of say (pick a reasonable number, maybe what we would now pay for 2 DVD's per month) and let us download unlimited number of tracks, that way we can take the risk of downloading promotional stuff and trying it out without monetary risk AND we get all the hits we need to bring people in the clubs to expose them to the promotional stuff..............It worked for record pools for decades, just because the techonology to deliver it has changed doesn't mean a sound concept needs to change.

My12Inch.com has already started this, unfortuanately they are so narrow minded and only do hip hip and rap (99% of it really is rap and only about 10% of that is commercial stuff) and they only post about 10 videos per month (of which only 2 or 3 are hits or good enough to be hits).

And PLEEEEEEEEEEZE record labels quit using the tired arguement about pirates. No matter how you protect it there will be pirates. All the drm and copywrite protection crap just inconveniences them and makes it virtually immpossible for us to use your material properly.

If my12inch.com would pull there collective heads out of their very narrow hip hop loving colons and realize a large percentage of clubs also like to play rock, pop, house, dance, etc. they would overnight become the video leaders! Anybody listening , buelller, bueller...................

geposted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 6:41 am
right on dj-e-lectric! I doubt it will happen but preach on..

geposted Thu 02 Aug 07 @ 10:13 pm
I wonder if a drm service for dj's will launch within the next year or so. A lot of software are supporting video now and there is obviously a demand for it. VirtualDJ already has a working drm model as demonstrated by its integration with Napster - imagine if Atomix had the power to negotiate their own service with one of the major providers by offering 640x480 wmv downloads. They would have drm of course, but if you're buying the videos for dj use, you only need to use them in VirtualDJ and not on an iPod etc.

geposted Thu 02 Aug 07 @ 10:28 pm
DRM is crap, inhibiting usefullness of the product and NOT slowing pirates one single copy.

If the labels want to make sure we aren't "borrowing", "trading" or "copying to resell" then put some kind of tracking or other means of identifying you product and go after the bad guys. DRM makes it impossible for us to move things easily from drive to drive for backup or if we need to use a different computer (like if yours is stolen or broken) and to edit the videos for playablility in the club..........like anybody ever stayed on the dance floor while Justin Timberlake jumps out of the exploding window in sexy back............

The idea is to make the product as EASY and ENJOYABLE for the legitimate user otherwise there is LESS incentive to purchase and/or promote.

Arrest, prosecute and lock up the pirates but leave the rest of us ALONE ALREADY to do our jobs (thereby making yours easier)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

geposted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 9:59 am
dj-e-lectric wrote :
DRM makes it impossible for us to move things easily from drive to drive for backup or if we need to use a different computer (like if yours is stolen or broken) and to edit the videos for playablility in the club

No it doesn't. Any good service allows you to transfer your license to upto three computers at a time. Moving things from drive to drive is no problem, just be sure to backup your licenses. You will need an internet connection on the computer you wish to use the drm tracks on however.

geposted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 1:07 pm
See that could be a problem. I don't really know how the drm thing works but I have 2 computers that have never been connected to the internet. I dont even run antivirus software because I rip my music with another p/c and then just upload to those hd. If I had DRM then if i wanted to expand my business more, then I would eventualy max out.
Perhaps another analogy on the drm subject would be, if guns were made illegal, does anyone really think that criminals would stop using them. Of course not. If the crime required a gun, then they would get 1. Possesion of a firearm is just 1 of many charges they would be facing. At least a would be criminal does not know if I am carrying one.. might make them think twice.. Just like drm does not keep pirates from stealing music, it just makes the legit people suffer and jump through additional hoops.

geposted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 3:13 pm
That's true, I don't disagree with it, but I also don't see a change happening anytime soon for as long as business models such as the iTunes store continue to be successful. And that is probably the worst example of being locked into a system, e.g. their music will only play on an iPod if you want it on an external player. However, they've now launched their drm free service, convenient for them that allofmp3 is no longer around perhaps, so maybe the future is positive.

geposted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 4:23 pm
questions...

Not sure if anyone here has the knowledge as a music attorney or even what exactly would be breaking the laws.

I don't have a site like this... nor do I want to start one up like since that it is likely to not really be legal... I found a site like this on the web.

How legal is it for someone to have a website where they charge a monthly fee labeled as a "donation" and have it where you can download their video remixes? I was thinking you need written consent from the owners of the publishing rights to remix or edit any product you may distribute for a profitable business. In fact one of the options for donations has it where the webmaster or whomever owns the site will mail you a monthly DVD if you subscribe to this "donation" package.

thoughts?

-- update ---

just found this small print disclaimer on the bottom of the website (I *** -ed out the web site address in the disclaimer):

All material available on ****.com is solely intended for promotional use by professional DJs and/or by properly licensed broadcast entities.
By registering with ****.com, you certify that you are a professional DJ and/or broadcaster.
All rights reserved by the original record companies or copyright holders.

geposted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 6:33 pm
80%