Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Turntable recommendation?

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Pat_DJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi all,

I might be stating into Scratching... I was wondering which kind of turntable would you recommend me to get?

Regards,
Pat

geposted Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 1:43 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
You can get any that has direct drive (without belt), Numark, Vestax or Technics.

geposted Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 2:43 pm
I'm using Numark 500's and they haven't failed me yet;^]

geposted Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 3:03 pm
Technics 1200's are the best (I personally wouldn't buy anything less)

geposted Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 3:52 pm
If you're just "testing the waters," you might consider a bargain brand like Numark, but it must be direct drive. I don't think I can recommend any of the "kits" that are out there, you know, two TTs, mixer, etc. I hear that the mixers are horrible for scratching. I think you'd be best served by a mixer with an adjustable curve and reputable, replaceable crossfader as well. There are many out there if you look around.

If you are absolutely sure, go with Technics. They're expensive, but rock solid and years in the biz. Most folks say that they retain their value very well if you ever need to sell them off also;)

geposted Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 5:33 pm
CHARL1E F1VE wrote :
Technics 1200's are the best (I personally wouldn't buy anything less)

Never said better. If you're going to stick with it. Technics is the way to go. Don't spend money for now. Invest in long lasting, hardcore equipment.

geposted Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 5:36 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
One word

Technics 1210s

Had a pair for 12 years, never let me down and still going strong

Jimmy B

geposted Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 6:52 pm
I know that the 1210's are industry standard, but if people are going to be open minded about using computer dj software alongside their hardware, isn't it about time that people started moving onwards from the 1210's? The TTX, 2300's and 150's (even the TT500s) absolutely destroy the 1210's in terms of start/stop motor performance and features. The 1210's in particular can be extremely annoying with the pitch click as you approach 0%. Although most people will now buy the Mk3 or Mk5, so no problem there.

geposted Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 7:02 pm
The torque-hype is really not that important. Enough is enough basically. The 1200/1210's have enough torq.

Yes they are standard, and with good reason. The technics' would be my reccomendation if you are planning on playing clubs, or hoping to do so. There are always a pair of Techs in the clubs. If you are planning to bring your own equipment (mobile gigs), i wouldn't reccomend turntables at all.

The pitch-click can be easily removed if you know how to use a soldering iron.

Besides, you can get som real smashing bargains at ebay, and few products are as good seccondhand as the Techs. They are built to last (One of mine is form the early eithties, and you can't tell at all).

Just one word of advise: If you are getting 1200's online, make sure they are the right voltage (110/230) as they don't have the voltage switch found on the 1210s (otherwise they are identical, except the 1200s usually are silver-grey).

geposted Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 7:17 pm
I don't understand something, what's wrong with the pitch click?

geposted Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 7:31 pm
Editted: The click lock has a zone of a couple of millimeters, stealing away from you some of the pitch setting you could have. In reality it doesn't really matter and shouldn't affect a mix, having not started with 1210's it's my personal preference to not have the pitch click. But it's good to see they added the quartz button in the mk3+ models instead. The deck does have a wow and flutter of 0.01% though which is better than any other table on the market, they're also built like tanks lol.

geposted Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 7:37 pm
Pat_DJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Thanks All for the replies... As I'm more of a Mobile DJ, I'll see what I'll do.

geposted Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 7:52 pm
Andrew87 wrote :
Editted: The click lock has a zone of a couple of millimeters, stealing away from you some of the pitch setting you could have. In reality it doesn't really matter and shouldn't affect a mix, having not started with 1210's it's my personal preference to not have the pitch click. But it's good to see they added the quartz button in the mk3+ models instead. The deck does have a wow and flutter of 0.01% though which is better than any other table on the market, they're also built like tanks lol.

Ooh, I see what your saying. Who get's bothered by a couple of millimeters though. I don't even notice it. Anyway, people are different. You're right about them being built like tanks. I don't baby my 1200's.

geposted Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 7:55 pm
I've had tech 1200s and now have Numark TTx turntables....I'm not even looking back on the 1200s. sure they are built to last although the TTx are just blowing the 1200s by at least 20 years!!!!

if you are looking to helping your records get up to speed by gently pushing the records forward every time your cueing up....go with some tech 1200s or try the Numark TT200s (They have the exact same torque)

if your looking for something VERY powerful and loaded with features like reverse, key lock, bpm counters, etc. go with other brands like Gemini (recommend only the higher end gear as most of the gear they have are aimed at beginners), Vestax (Maybe one of the best on the market for scratching as they have TTs with tonearms that just won't skip at all and less adjustments) or Numark ( TT500s is a TTx without the bells and whistles and has torque to boot. for cueing I just let go my record without pushing and its at the right pitch all the time)

Needles...there are so many different brands out here and most DJs always argue on wich brands are better just like TT brands and CD deck brands...its all just a personal preference more then anything else although some needles track better then others. I'd recommend either a Shure M44-7 or a Ortofon concord elektro cartridge although the ortofon has the new timecode needles wich are supposed to be the best for timecode users but I can't say I've tried them yet.

of course for mixers its hard to recommend something decent. Maybe a Vestax PCM-05 for starts or if your looking for quality go with either the Mackie D.2 or a Rane SM-56

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

geposted Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 8:07 pm

geposted Sat 18 Aug 07 @ 6:18 pm
you can also do a search for many other turntablist other then Kentaro

Q Bert
Jazzy Jeff
A Trak
DJ Noize
Craze
Cash Money
I Emerge
Dopey
Grandmaster Flash
Grandmaster Theodore
Mix Masta Mike
and who can forget the multi winning team C2C

geposted Sat 18 Aug 07 @ 7:05 pm
True, all so talented. I was copying links from the related field in a dmc search. Here is a good review about the new revision of TTX turntable. It concludes:

Quote :
With the changes that have been made over the last 4-5 years, the TTX has matured into a product that is hard to fault. I can't think of one reason why the TTX shouldn't be the deck of choice seen in every bedroom, bar or superclub on the planet... except the Technics 1200.
The pure volume of features can be overwhelming to many, but mark my words - no turntable offers the features that the TTX does. And it still comes in at £25-125 cheaper than it's rivals.

geposted Sat 18 Aug 07 @ 7:22 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)