Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Database corruption [Resolved] - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

This problem has been in existance since 4.3

Are there ANY solutions. I open up VDJ and anywhere from 3- 50 of my files have all associated cue points, analyzation. etc....LOST.
This gets tiring. Now it seems worse! I can find no common thread.

Powerful Vista Machine dual core processors 2GB RAM Dual 500GB Hard drives.

Sure I can back up the database on exit EVERYTIME - but that may be when the corruption occurs. SOOOOO, I have to keep multiple backups. I have 1000's of legit MP3s...this gets redundant!

Yes, my skins are in the proper folder, etc. - but like others SOMETIMES when this happens - it will give me the error that my screen is not at the proper resolution (it is) and then tell me my database is corrupt....but 90 percent of the time there are NO error messages...just the lost data.

I have performed hardwar checks and I have no disk errors or memory leaks.

Cheers

HELP!

geposted Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 10:31 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Is this v5 you are referring to ?

geposted Thu 06 Sep 07 @ 3:04 am
Yes, V5 most recent update.

The odd thing is - it doesn't happen consistently. I have checked all the hardware as stated and all check out ok.

I am puzzled and a little irked! (that I can't figure this out) but I see others have had the same issue.

geposted Thu 06 Sep 07 @ 2:50 pm
The 'lost' data is that still there after you do a 'Fix' from the Browser tab on that database - and then close and restart VirtualDJ ?

If you don't stop and restart VirtualDJ then the results you are seeing are do to VirtualDJ not being able to read those entries initially because of the 'error' it found.

geposted Thu 06 Sep 07 @ 3:19 pm
The song titles are still there, but after the fix - the cue points, bpm, etc. are all gone. Even when I close and re-open - they are still missing.

Does this help?

I know others posted of the same issue.

geposted Thu 06 Sep 07 @ 8:13 pm
OK, do they return if you do a 'Check' on the database?

geposted Thu 06 Sep 07 @ 8:42 pm
No - just the title - I Have to go about and re-establish everything that ws lost. I have even tried a clean install.

I have even tried setting drivers to minimal (video, sound, etc) thinking it may be a conflict....to no avail.

geposted Thu 06 Sep 07 @ 8:52 pm
Well, I think you are going to far to the extreme to resolve it by doing clean installs, video drivers, etc. It's an issue with simply reading the database.

One - are your databases updated at this point ? You have all your data ?

If so, here is what I suggest -- make a copy of them - the file in the My Documents -> VirtualDJ folder, and the ones in the Root of your other drives.
My Documents -> VirtualDJ folder -->> VirtualDJ Database v5.xml
Drive's Root -->> VirtualDJ Local Database v5.xml

Now the next time this happens - make a copy of the 'corrupt' ones and use these backups to restore your data, but don't just rename them. And, post back here when it happens. I want to be able to get a copy of the 1 that corrupts as it looked prior to being corrupt (Clean Version) and the (Corrupt Version). So we can best understand what is happening.

Can you do this for me?

cstoll

geposted Thu 06 Sep 07 @ 8:59 pm
Will do! Thanks for the advice.

geposted Fri 07 Sep 07 @ 4:44 am
Ok, I can find the file in the My documents section under VirtualDJ, but I can not seem to locate any folder in the "root" of any drive. AM I missing something. Even when I do a Vista search - it does not show.

I mean I can find VDJ in the My Documents section and see the database file and I can see the VDJ folder in the C: drive under program files - but there is NO database folder of any kind in there.

geposted Fri 07 Sep 07 @ 2:30 pm
There isn't a folder in the root. It's the file - VirtualDJ Local Database v5.xml
Also, now that I know you are using Vista (which I missed in your initial post) - Make sure you have the USER ACCESS CONTROL (UAC) set to DISABLED. This can cause problems that you are experiencing.

geposted Fri 07 Sep 07 @ 2:33 pm
First -OK UAC turned off - but the computer does not like that and keeps posting warnings about lack of security. Will this endanger my machine?

Secondly - there is NO file named "VirtualDJ Local Database v5.xml" anywhere on my computer only "VirtualDJ Database V5" in the Virtual DJ directory in my documents. THere are no other files in the root of any of my other drives , including my hotswap drive.

and Finally - You get an extra crown in heaven or a better life in the next for assisting me so graciously. This is why I have been a fan of this product since the early days.

geposted Fri 07 Sep 07 @ 2:44 pm
First sorry about the length of the post but it two possible options --

OK, so here are two choices (And we have backups of what you have now right?)--

1. Copy and rename the 4.x database file and manually add to external drive
So in XP, in the C:Program FilesVirtualDJ folder you would have a file that is titled - VirtualDJ Database (username).xml but you are using Vista, so the problem may be in that it didn't find the hidden one.

1. Do a search for VirtualDJ Database*.xml but make sure you are searching HIDDEN files as well. Now when your system finds it. Right click on the file and choose to Open the containing folder. We want to copy this file to your desktop because we will need it.
  2. Copy the database file from your desktop to the My Documents ->VirtualDJ folder
  3. Make a copy of that file and rename it to -- VirtualDJ Database v5.xml
  4. Copy the newly created file and paste it onto the ROOT of your external drive(s) and rename it to -- VirtualDJ Local Database v5.xml
  5. Launch VirtualDJ - now you may get 'corrupt' messages. But that's fine.
  6. Go straight to Config->Browser tab - run the Check, Clean, Fix in that order on all the drives listed in the drop-down.
  7. Close and re-open VirtualDJ

What are the results?

2. Rebuild the v5 databases from your 4.3 database
Same as above starting off --

1. Do a search for the 4.x database - VirtualDJ Database*.xml but make sure you are searching HIDDEN files as well. Now when your system finds it. Right click on the file and choose to Open the containing folder. We want to copy this file to your desktop because we will need it.
  2. Copy the database file from your desktop to the My Documents->VirtualDJ folder
  3. Delete the VirtualDJ Database v5.xml in the My Documents->VirtualDJ folder
  4. Delete the any VirtualDJ Local Database v5.xml files from the root of the external drive(s)
  5. Launch VirtualDJ - now you may get 'corrupt' messages. But that's fine.
  6. Go straight to Config->Browser tab - run the Check, Clean, Fix in that order on all the drives listed in the drop-down.
  7. Close and re-open VirtualDJ

What are the results?

Here is a thread you can read through where I did a similar thing with a CUE user.
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/76209/General_Discussion/Database_drive_question__Resolved_.html

=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Also, here is info from MS TechNet to ensure you have turned off the UAC completely:
The following procedures step you through the tasks of disabling Admin Approval Mode, disabling UAC from prompting for credentials to install applications, and changing the elevation prompt behavior.
Disable Admin Approval Mode

Use the following procedure to disable Admin Approval Mode.

Note: To perform the following procedure, you must be logged into a client computer as a local administrator.

To disable Admin Approval Mode

1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click Run, type secpol.msc in the Open text box, and then click OK.
2. If UAC is currently active, a User Account Control dialog box will appear. If so, verify that the details presented match the request you initiated, and click Continue.
3. From the Local Security Settings console tree, click Local Policies, and then click Security Options.
4. Scroll down and double-click User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode.
5. From the User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode Properties dialog box, click Disabled, and then click OK.
6. Close the Local Security Settings window.

Disable User Account Control from prompting for credentials to install applications
Use the following procedure to disable UAC from prompting for credentials to install applications.

Note: To perform the following procedure, you must be logged into a client computer as a local administrator.

To disable UAC from prompting for credentials to install applications

1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click Run, type secpol.msc in the Open text box, and then click OK.
2. From the Local Security Settings console tree, click Local Policies, and then Security Options.
3. Scroll down and double-click User Account Control: Detect application installations and prompt for elevation.
4. From the User Account Control: Detect application installations and prompt for elevation Properties dialog box, click Disabled, and then click OK.
5. Close the Local Security Settings window.

Change the elevation prompt behavior
Use the following procedure to change the elevation prompt behavior for UAC.

To change the elevation prompt behavior

1. Click Start, click Accessories, click Run, type secpol.msc in the Open text box, and then click OK.
2. From the Local Security Settings console tree, click Local Policies, and then Security Options.
3. Scroll down to and double-click User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators or User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for standard users.
4. From the drop-down menu, select one of the following settings:

• No prompt
  • Prompt for credentials (this setting requires user name and password input before an application or task will run as elevated, and is the default for standard users)
  • Prompt for consent (this is the default setting for administrators only)

5. Click OK.
6. Close the Local Security Settings window.

geposted Fri 07 Sep 07 @ 4:18 pm
In scenario 1, the database was re-built and fixed to the last good cofiguration (with the few missing file infos), but not as corrupt as before.

In scenario 2, the database was NOT re-built and the program lost sight of the swap drive.

I had properly un-activated UAC.

Does this help?

geposted Fri 07 Sep 07 @ 8:37 pm
OK, so did you use scenario 1 and are you up and running now?

geposted Fri 07 Sep 07 @ 9:01 pm
yes, I did - we will now just have to wait and see if changing the Vista settings as you suggested is the permanent fix.

Thank yo uso much for your time and effort.

geposted Fri 07 Sep 07 @ 10:11 pm

geposted Fri 07 Sep 07 @ 11:07 pm
Disabling the UAC did not do the trick. One entire directory lost all bpb and cue points. was able to re-estable with backed up database, but this is very odd. This is the only app I am having issues with in Vista.

Suggestions?

geposted Mon 10 Sep 07 @ 2:21 am
Ok... I don't know what is going on but for some reason My system keeps corrupting my K drive drive. The C & J drive is always fine. No matter what I do or what computer I work off of. As soon as I close the v5. I get corrupted and my unanalized folder picks up the changed songs or I have to go to each folder and find out which songs are missing bpm.

This just started about a weak ago. Nothing changed on system.

geposted Thu 20 Sep 07 @ 7:42 pm
BUMP

geposted Thu 20 Sep 07 @ 9:56 pm
67%