Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Heavy CPU usage with the r6

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

djfybPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi,

it might be anything but let's start with what getting the juice of my CPU!!! Since I installed r6, I can see my CPU starting to be practically always at 100% and this is bad when trying to mix and loading a song on the other deck as sometime - the song is not yet finished to loaded while I am ready to play it (let say after 2-3 minutes of loading).

You will ask me if I have anything else running in the sametime and the answer is - except for the usual stuff to make WinXP running (volume, graphics card, wireless card, antivirus, etc..), nothing else in terms of user's application. The only things that are running in the sametime are SYSTEM's stuff. Still, we will assume that maybe one of those SYSTEM's applications might taking a lot of juice but it is not. Virtual DJ is taking 80-90% of the juice and giving a little 10% to the system to run the rest. All this information as been collected with may tests I did to try understanding the problem and - maybe - finding a descet solution.

I already read somewhere that Virtual DJ is getting a lot of CPU but since the product is really good (I mean it), I was assume that my 2GB of RAM (which is not really a problem by the way as the proble is really about the CPU usage). My processor is a 1600 Mhz.

Right now, I will try to rollback to R5 as I remember to have a better performance with that version but if anybody have any information to help me go back to R6 with more sense about the CPU usage, let me know. I am not an expert of hardware but since my I work as a Web DEveloper, I can understand deep technical details.

Thank's!

DJ FYB

geposted Wed 19 Dec 07 @ 3:36 pm
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
good objective post of your problem fyb...

did you roll back to a previous version and did the problem go away? im on r6 and have not experienced this. but then again im using a monster machine and there isnt much i can throw at it to make it choke.

try to make the comparison by reproducing certain steps. are they the same tracks you are loading which take so long? did anything change on your machine in between the upgrade and the problem?

im curious to see some objective results between r5 and r6 first. if the problem goes away from rolling back, the dev team will surely have some more questoins for you.

if not, then is hardware or o/s issue. in which case, has your hard drive been defragmented in a long time? have you used some testing software to check your hardware? has your machine blue-screened in a while, perhaps your files a corrupted and you need to run a chkdsk/f in dos one time?

geposted Thu 20 Dec 07 @ 12:04 am
First, when I wrote my original message I though I was able to find the r5 easilly but I did not find it finally! So the only option I had was to rollback to the CD version (which is r2).

The last mix I did with r6 has so many parasites I was too shame to release it as it was not the best quality I have done with Virtual DJ. I am starting to worry a lot about this as it is a big issue for me. For the money I paid, I naturally expecting much more and the quality is decreasing everyday now!

Anyway, now that I uninstall Virtual DJ and reinstall the original CD's version (r2), I will try again and let you know about the details. In the meantime, I try everything to increase the performance of my computer but I already did a lot of tuning to make it better so there is not a lot I can do!!!

geposted Fri 21 Dec 07 @ 11:19 am
Wow! It was so much slow that after a total reboot and couple tries, it took me less than 30 minutes to understand that I am not able to find any positive results with the R2!!! So I am back with R6. But, I tried something else to find out if the product was ok or not. Since I have another laptop on hand, I decided to install Virtual DJ r6 on the second laptop. Guess what, the CPU is used as I needed! This mean that the CPU will be high only when loading a song on a deck and I never see a song been loaded so fast with the laptop I usually use.

In conclusion, I need to find out why the CPU is so high with the main laptop. Before starting Virtual DJ, the CPU is low (1-2% of usage). At the moment I start the program, the CPU jump to is highest level (100%) and than start to go down to 70-90%. When loading a song, it can take more than 30 seconds and if loading a song on the second deck while the first deck is playing a song (whatever if it is deck A or deck B), the song can take more than a inute to load.

Here is some technical details now:

OS: Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2
Computer: Laptop Dell Inspiron 8600
Processor: Intel Pentium M 1600MHz (1.60 GHz)
RAM: 2.00 GB

Virtual DJ Sound Setup:
Inputs: none
Outputs: Headphone
Sound card(s): 2 cards
Sound Card: E-MU 0404 USB
Second Card: Hercules DJ Console
Output channels: Master: First card / Headphone: Second card

Virtual DJ Performances:
Presets: Best Quality
Sound Card: Latency: 2048 (46ms), safe mode checked, overclock checked
48kHz <-> 44 kHz: Basic Interpolation
Scratch: Optimize for quality; enhanced Algorithm (file size: 35, Filter smooth checked)
Master tempo: Fast

Virtual DJ Network: No synchronization

Virtual DJ Remote Control:
Hercules DJ Console (activated with default config)

I am not very familiar with all the settings, principally for the lower part of the screen "performances" and I will accept any proposition to help me tune this with the best. What I posted here is the latest setup I tried and I played with many tune-on/tune-off of all the options but sometime without knowing exactly what they really do (such as the scratch section).

Thank you for any support.

geposted Fri 21 Dec 07 @ 12:12 pm
For those ones who will propose me to use the second laptop to use Virtual DJ, it is not possible as the laptop as not enough of disk space to accommodate my music library and this is a computer that I do not own totally!!!

;-))

geposted Fri 21 Dec 07 @ 12:13 pm
Change your performance slider to the left (fastest) and set your latency to Auto.

geposted Fri 21 Dec 07 @ 7:11 pm
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
yeah, i agree with discobrian. your 1.6 isnt beefy enough to handle all the interpolation settings. sounds like you can at least get the job done with the other laptop. but you should be able to trim down your cpu usage by adjusting as he mentioned.let us know the results of that because its always usefull to know what the minimum power of a lappie should be to successfuly use vdj.

geposted Fri 21 Dec 07 @ 10:21 pm
And see if un-ckecking "safe mode" and "Overclock" in performance settings helps, it made a huge change on my Inspiron 5150.

geposted Fri 21 Dec 07 @ 10:21 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)