Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: American Audio VMS4 Discussions - Page: 5

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

Chris,

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions. My concern is that between your pre-production units and the ones that were shipped to us - the paying customers - some things may have changed. Like components!

I work for a large telecoms company here in the UK and have been involved in many product developments. The concept and test versions always run faster/better than the released products. Partly due to supplier hungriness for the business but mostly due to my company beating down the supplier for the contract. It's at that point that components get changed simply to meet the contract price.

Would be interesting to put your unit next to Ricks and compare.

Roy

geposted Mon 09 Aug 10 @ 5:04 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Well that will happen next week at the DJ Expo ... :)

geposted Mon 09 Aug 10 @ 5:19 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I wouldn't expect them to be any different, mine was not new either which I wish it was.

However that aside, the jogs are obviously mass machined off center, I have one dragging as do many others.
Chris is right about the mic, end of story, but a side by side is nearly impossible for me in my studio.

By what I see in the AA forum, it is what it is.
When Tracktor users are complaining too, its not a software issue.
Did they release too early?
Well blame people who pushed so hard for the release for that I guess.
Did they field test enough?
Only they know that, Chris had the only unit to map with.
If he says it performs, maybe it does.
Is there a difference between his and mine and maybe yours?
Maybe, but hard to tell.

I wanted to know how to take the jogs off but can't get that answer.
If I can get them off, I WILL find why they drag one way or other because mechanical stuff is where my head is at.

geposted Mon 09 Aug 10 @ 5:25 pm
They must come off otherwise you wouldn't be able to fit a styleflip skin right!!!

Roy

geposted Mon 09 Aug 10 @ 5:45 pm
GadgetMan wrote :
They must come off otherwise you wouldn't be able to fit a styleflip skin right!!!

Roy

From what I've read, that's a decal.
And it probably masks all of the buttons and jogs.

geposted Mon 09 Aug 10 @ 5:53 pm

geposted Mon 09 Aug 10 @ 6:00 pm
And good luck getting that beyotch in place the first time aligned right with no bubbles.....lol

Have lots of experience with large decals, and just getting it down over the verticals with the knobs off is going to be a job even with soap.

geposted Mon 09 Aug 10 @ 6:11 pm
The VMS4 is certainly not worthless. Different people look for different features and have different expectations. It's impossible to make technology to please everyone. My assessment is that the VMS4 is a brilliant all in one controller but I feel the build quality and components could be a bit better.

geposted Tue 10 Aug 10 @ 1:26 am
jaakkoPRO InfinityMember since 2006

geposted Tue 10 Aug 10 @ 4:43 am
Now seriously...
When are they going to stop screwing around...
We need some kind of standard here.
You wanna put the jog wheels where???

And how about a standard like just two main deck buttons like its been for years on pro decks consistently?
Cue/stop in the bottom left corner of the player and play/pause next to that would be nice, we don't need 3 or 4 buttons for simple deck actions.
I mean really...we should be able to step up and use these by feel in moments not have a new learning curve each time a new piece of gear drops.

geposted Tue 10 Aug 10 @ 5:15 am
That's strange. ..... The VMS4 layout is really good. Everyone used to copy each other on 19" rack mount CD units, but there are no standards any more. One thing is for sure, judging by other NI gear this should be good quality.

geposted Tue 10 Aug 10 @ 5:36 am
jaakkoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
IMO I don't care about the position of buttons much, I will learn new layout and that keeps my brains fresh. Also I like the idea of having jog wheels on the far side of the controller, it minimums the risk of accidentally touch wheels when doing something else. But this is vms 4 topic so let's not go offtopic now :)

geposted Tue 10 Aug 10 @ 5:39 am
Well I just plugged in a $500 Shure wireless and ya its a mess of over modulated distortion regardless of where the gain is set to.

geposted Tue 10 Aug 10 @ 5:44 pm
I guess I am at a bit of a loss for the touch pad on this.
It wants to go anywhere BUT my record case regardless of how careful I am.
I also fail to see why it says load below each lower touch window when by design its left click right click.

geposted Tue 10 Aug 10 @ 6:00 pm
mp3jrick wrote :
I also fail to see why it says load below each lower touch window when by design its left click right click.

Because it is Shift+ the buttons -- anything written below a button is a Shift+ action.

geposted Tue 10 Aug 10 @ 7:04 pm
Nah
Not an option unless I am driving a standard shift.
My hands are too busy for that just to load a deck.

geposted Tue 10 Aug 10 @ 7:23 pm
well that is why the track browsing and folder browsing was put on the white knobs (FX select and Sampler select) and they are buttons as well so once you find the track you press the knob

geposted Tue 10 Aug 10 @ 7:28 pm
@mp3jrick
Oh no that's real bad news,
I guess that can't be sorted by an update is that a hardware problem ?
How could they get that so wrong it was one of the Big selling points !!
If so i wonder will ADJ fix it on a new Batch and Replace My unit as I love it only Im very let down by the mic bad sound and output volume the cue button I always thought could be sorted by an update .
Also the lack of Customer Updates on the Forums is so bad I complained about this on the ADJ forum and was told to chill ???,
I take it there is work going on in the background but just not keeping in touch with the customers on it is very annoying and looks like its harmed the ADJ image and in thats not helping VDJ aswell ,
A lot of harm done in such a short space of time to what could and been and may well still be ( I live in hope ) a really good Product.
What it looks like from an outsiders view is not enough on the road testing no matter what the pre- release owners say about their units.
What a pity some people have already returned or cancelled orders lets hope they were to hastey ,
I still cross my fingers and hope its sorted and soon as its lovely to use at a gig .

geposted Tue 10 Aug 10 @ 7:43 pm
I also tried my Sennheiser radio system last night before packing up the unit and as Rick says, it was a distorted mess even at a low level, same problem as my line mic. How could they get it so wrong. I can live with the other issues but not having a good mic feed is useless to me unfortunately.

geposted Wed 11 Aug 10 @ 1:38 am
Well I used my VMS4 at a gig last night and I have to say other than the cueing problem I was very happy.

I have not really used any midi type controller previously other than having a play on my friends exponent so I had no expectations/ comparison.

Previously we had just been using Virtual DJ and a sound card and fed it through a bog standard mixer. In comparrison to that it was significantly better,cleaner, crisper and I had no problems with pushing the outputs. This was one reason for buying the VMS4 to start and try to upgrade things so I am happy.

The gig itself is part of a dance class so I had the teacher on a radio mic for 3 hours last night with no problem at all. The settings I had was with the gain set low on the mic channel and the high end turned low but nothing unacceptable.

To give my background I have been involved in the DJ buisness for 20+ years have gone from a mobile disco to running a 10K pro rig. I have played with/used most of the top equipment in my time.

My next gig is on saturday which will be a bit more full on as it will involve running the VMS4 through a Pro sound system I have a good feeling that I won't be having any problems

geposted Wed 11 Aug 10 @ 2:37 am
14%