Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Mixing advice needed!! - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

Hi

I'm doing my first big gig (well it is for me, a wedding reception with over 100 people - only done house parties before this). Its my mums wedding reception and most the guests are gonna be around 50-60 years. (All happenining this saturday)

The problem is i'm use to mixing Funky/Disco/Hard House, Trance etc.. now i dont think this would go down to well at the reception. Obviously will need to play those normal old traditional party songs... come on eileen, YMCA, Olivers Army,Celebration, Daydream believer....you get the idea

Any advice on how to mix these kind of songs, the bpm can change throughout some of these songs quite alot, kind of irregular, is it just a case of doing quick fades, or do you guys have any advice on more sophistcated mixing techniques for this kind of music?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!!!

geposted Wed 15 Jun 05 @ 9:54 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
depends on the song but i think you could loop the end just to get a good constant bpm and loop the new song then drop in drop it in, but for an affair like that i'd stick with quick fades.

geposted Wed 15 Jun 05 @ 10:15 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi there digimixer

I had a 25th wedding anniversary on saturday there, and i have to say it was HARD!!! Like you, i'm used to doing 'younger' gigs...you know, birthdays, engagements etc which TEND to have a younger crowd, hence i use more 'up to date' music. But for this type of gig, you have to have a good selection of stuff from the sixties and seventies. This is the key for a good set IMO.

Musically i would suggest starting off with some good 60's stuff and the ones you mention are just the ticket. I would recommend that you have a couple great medleys too, like Back to the 60's by tight fit or Swing the mood by jive bunny. these are really good ones and defenitely get the crowd up there for a laugh. Even if you have the remixed version of some of those older tracks, that works too as long as they're not too heavy. One thing i've learned is that 'older' folk WILL NOT listen to 'younger' music, but 'younger' folks will listen to those old classics...build me up buttercup, brown eyed girl and so on are the classic examples!!! Get them up to dance if you can! Go and join them. I have a mix i use for dancing with the audience of The Time Warp, YMCA, Hey Baby and ChaCha slide. Yep, it's true...;o) But while it might sound very funny, if you get up there with the crowd, you can really build something with them. Don't get me wrong, the mix isn't great, but coupled with you and a cordless mic, they'll not even notice that...they'll be too busy trying to follow you!!!

On a mixing level, i don't think you should be too worried. I don't think older people are too concerned how good your mixing is. Obviously you don't want to go from one extreme to the other, but just build up your set as you would any other set. Start off slow and build it up until you perhaps bring in a couple of dancy ones for them to jig to. That way you can control the mix without worrying too much about what they're thinking. I'm quite sure they won't be too bothered if a song is out of beat. Can i just say that no matter how that sounds, i really do mean it in a nice way!!! :o|

Have a couple of sets ready to go that last an hour or long. That way you can have an idea of what to play and when to play it, but you can also make room for requests. Everything else is down to the crowd man...

Anyway, get your songs sorted and by saturday you'll be great.

Keep spinning!
P

geposted Wed 15 Jun 05 @ 10:36 pm
chabonkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
If the BPM's are dramatically different, do not try beat mixing the songs.... do a 1 or 2 beat loop (or tape echo if your mixer has this feature), fade out the song, and play the next one. Also, put those MC skills to work when changing tempos, this is extremely important at weddings. Good luck!

geposted Wed 15 Jun 05 @ 10:38 pm
One of the first things I do is get with the couple and ask what kind of music they would enjoy most. Bring mostly this!!! and a bit of extras of course. Make sure you ask them what they DO NOT want to hear as well and skip those off your list hehe.

Its always good to come prepared and not get caught playing something they didn't want to hear!

some good 50s, 60s and 70s should get you a good night.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

geposted Wed 15 Jun 05 @ 10:55 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Good call DJ_whiteDVL

I forgot about that. I've got a wedding myself next friday. 'Good stuff' i think to myself. 'I'll phone the bride and groom to find out what they're wedding song is'...just so i've got it or can go and get it...AND THEY'VE ONLY GONE AND MOVED BLOODY HOUSE, HAVEN'T THEY?!?!?!?!?

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

hehehehe....:o)

cross your fingers, legs, arms and toes and hope for the best...

P :o|

geposted Wed 15 Jun 05 @ 10:58 pm
Use the waveform to read the songs that are old,u simply follow the peaks with pitch bend/tempo and make your mixes 32 beats. Don't ride the oldies unless you know them by heart.Real drummers are more difficult to follow so slow down the Waveform to see where its gonna go off beat
Regards
Andre

geposted Wed 15 Jun 05 @ 11:05 pm
Something for everyone
I will survive: Gloria Gaynor
Celebration:Kool and the gang
Cant take my eyes off of you:Boystown gang
Hot Hot Hot:Arrow
Billie Jean:Micheal Jackson
Swing the mood:Jive Bunny
Holiday:Madonna
Red red wine:UB 40
La bamba:Los lobos
La bomba:Azulu
Twist n shout:the beatles
Twice my age:Shabba Ranks
Copacabanna:Barry Manilow
Born to be alive:Patrick Hernandez
Last dance:Donne Summer
Satisfaction:Rolling Stones
Ballroom blitz:Sweet
Footloose:Kenny Loggins
Fever:Peggy Lee
Moondance:Van Morisson
Stayin Alive:Bee Gees
Puttin on the ritz:Taco
Baby i need your loving:Carl Carlton
Tainted love:Soft Cell
I love to love:Tina Charles
25 Major hits....Enjoy
Regards
Andre

geposted Wed 15 Jun 05 @ 11:38 pm
mUd-VPRO InfinityMember since 2003

geposted Thu 16 Jun 05 @ 1:28 am
grandpPRO InfinityMember since 2005
You should put togather some slow music with no vocals to play when dinner is being surved just make a play list and let it play for you as everyone will be eating.

I also made a folder of special wedding songs that i can get to quick for all the different wedding activities. Like first dance song, Groom and mom, bride and dad, cake cutting song (cut the cake), something for the garder belt and then the flower toss and a few other special songs.
YMCA, the checken dance, The hokie pokie, Electric slide, Celabration, when a man loves a women, Brown eyed girl, Macarania, CA CA Slide and so on.

My spelling is very bad so sorry about that.

Hope this helps

geposted Thu 16 Jun 05 @ 3:20 am
DJ RazPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Yo

Trust me on this one:
DO NOT MIX.
Let the songs play out fully. (well or use loop-out plugin if they are too long)
If a song is gonna fade, again, use the loop out plugin instead.

Even if you are playing 2 disco songs that can be mixed, don't.
That kind of crowd does not care for mixes, and they actually expect songs to have a beginning and an end.

Only mix if towards the end of the night you are left with a crowd of 20's-30's year olds.

If you feel the crowd is getting tired from dancing, don't hesitate putting a slow or social dance to keep them happy.

And finally, the most important part of your night is during dinner.
Keep them happy and gain their trust during dinner with smooth classics they all know.
Once you got their trust, it will be a lot easier to get them dancing.

Good luck :-)

geposted Thu 16 Jun 05 @ 4:57 am
Thanks for all the advice guys, some good stuff there.

Im confident ive got a good line up of music for the wedding, i have an advantage in that im related to alot of the guests so ive been asking them all what songs they like, there will be some under 30's there, but this will only make up around 15% of the guests, i was planning to to drop in a couple of more up to date dance tracks, these will be funked up versions of old classics so the oldies will still regonise em, Teardrops (Hed Kandi) is one of ive chosen (not too heavy!) still mulling over a couple of others, but i think i'll either drop these in right early on in the set or right at the end, last thing i want to do as have em all dancing then empty the dance floor half way through!

But like you have all been saying, even if the old cheesey ones arent really your thing, after a few drinks you can't help but get up and boogie to em!!

I'll experiment with the looping and see how i get on with it.

Its quite a long set, 5pm till 12am, i'm just gonna jukebox mode the first hour or so (background music), in this time i be playing classics that people like, but the ones that aren't all that good to dance too (foot tapping music!) then gradually ease into more lively tracks.

Keep the advice coming, it's much appreciated!!

geposted Thu 16 Jun 05 @ 9:42 am
bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Possibly Motown Remixed. Not all as good as the originals, but you may be able to plug in one or two. Also with swing the mood you may want to try Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy- Bette Midler. Don't forget Elvis and Dion.

geposted Thu 16 Jun 05 @ 2:16 pm
hey a great song I never had 1 complaint from has to be "I knew the bride when she used to rock and roll - Nick Lowe

geposted Thu 16 Jun 05 @ 2:34 pm
myselfPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Let us know how you got on.
Craig

geposted Thu 16 Jun 05 @ 2:51 pm
Will do!!

Using the advice above ive been practising for the past 6 hours or so on just the oldie tracks , feel a little more confident now, one thing that does frustrate me is how short all these old songs are, you're lucky if you get a song longer than 3.20, double the work!!!!!

Must admit though im quite suprised by some of my elder relatives taste in Music. Been asking em what they would like played, one of my uncles asked for Children - Robert Miles and one of my aunts requested i play some Nirvana, theyre both well into their Fifties! - not sure either of those would go down well! - the songs that is, not my uncle and aunt.

I'll give a full report back on Sunday.

Wish me luck..........

geposted Thu 16 Jun 05 @ 5:20 pm
Once I got older people and they explicitly asked me not to play some old sstuff, but again play what I played for the younger crown (ok it was not hard house ore techno) but htey like o-zone despre time,
alcazar - physical ... arash - boro boro, and they wanted some latino and oriental stuff too. They were about 50 yrs old :-)

It's hard sometimes to match the all tastes of the crowd

geposted Thu 16 Jun 05 @ 5:42 pm
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Awesome link Mud-v!!!

geposted Fri 17 Jun 05 @ 3:21 am
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Good luck, sounds like you have received the advice you need. Man, I'm glad I don't do wedding's anymore :{ Good gig though, don't get me wrong. BTW my advice is good MC'ing.

geposted Fri 17 Jun 05 @ 4:22 am
Set yourself some cues points on the songs you think should be extended ex:set one point at the beginning of the chorus so therefore you can repeat a section of the song.This is called "live remixing" and with vdj its possible to do this with any track.
If you fill the floor with a song extend it to 4mins+...You can do this on the fly,as the song is playing carefully insert cue points; 1 at the 1st verse then another at the bridge and one at the chorus then after the second chorus you can repeat any section you want.
This takes quite a bit of time to learn,be patient and practice.......6hrs a day is perfect
Good luck

Andre

btw djing is about pleasing the crowd so take requests with a smile and dont steal the show its the couples wedding after all{:^)

geposted Fri 17 Jun 05 @ 12:59 pm
80%