Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Numark NS6 - Page: 8

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The 2 issues you report have nothing to do with using the NS6.

The first one - the Crossfader assignments for Deck 1 & 3 - I have stated several times that it is a software issue not isolated to only the NS6 and will require a software update. When that update is available it will be made known and don't ask when.

The second one 'Automix' - as I said - has nothing to do with using the NS6. If you may want to start a different topic to discuss it so people don't get confused about it being a NS6 issue - as it is not.

As to 'what he is testing' - his is testing how well his NS6 is performing with his 'lower' spec'd system than his normal gig system. And he was saying it was performing just as good.

geposted Wed 13 Jul 11 @ 10:09 am
djmagicmoments wrote :
But are you testing to see if your laptop will work okay, or if the software is okay or if your controller is okay?

When someone posts that they are testing and they are not a beta tester of the software, I often what what they are test and why they report that they are testing on the forums... It kind of confuses me as to what they are testing and if I should pay attention to their results or not...

I think we need an update to get these few issues resolved.

Im testing for stability and ways of maximizing performance. Without a means of debugging, I cant pinpoint whether a glitch is due to the laptop, the controllers, virtual dj or the OS. Using multiple controllers sometimes lead to crashes due to interrupt request conflicts which arise because Windows uses shared interrupts and all connected midi controllers use the same IRQ. In addition to the ns6 I also use the UC33e and the trigger finger which both use the same generic maudio drivers, so they tend to clash a lot when used simultaneously. Sort of testing for any such conflicts that might arise. Then there is the OS itself. I use Windows 7 but there are plenty of features and processes that I dont really use that hog up both RAM aswell as CPU time. At the moment Im trying to optimize the OS by disabling features that I use. For instance in Windows 7 disabling the aero feature as well as smooth animated transitions does help. I dont use the networking feature on the laptop and uninstalling that feature also disables quite a few processes running in the background. I also dont use the on board soundcard which I have disabled in the bios. When starting the laptop with the onboard soundcard disabled the associated software sends an error signal to the CPU due to it not detecting the soundcard which in turn kills the main process and its associated children. If I do need the sound card I just boot up in bios and enable it. The drivers and the associated software is still installed in the laptop. There are so many features in Windows that we dont use and are unnecessarily hogging up resources. Im a bit short in cash at the mo (thanks to the NS6 :)) but Im hoping to get my hands on windows server 2003 as it has almost all the features of Windows 7 but with a more basic design which really helps in performance. The testing is not for any company. It a test of stability under the conditions I put the system through when playing live.

Why do all this? Well, first of all a process could on an average take up to 1/20th of a millisecond of CPU time. So disabling 20 processes could theoretically gain you upto 1mS reduction in latency (realistically u will see about half that amount due to CPU switch over delays). Just by disabling my soundcard kills 8 processes (and sub processes). Also the less the number processes, the less there is a chance of conflicts between processes. Windows' implementation of mutual exclusion is far from perfect and such conflicts do arise sometimes even leading to the dreaded BSOD.

Why am I testing a low powered laptop? Well sometimes I need to fly with my equipment and my current laptop that I use weighs a hefty 3KG. With all my equipment I always seem to get in trouble about my hand luggage. The laptop Im testing is almost half that weight and I am hoping that using it instead would stop the headache I get every time I check in. I do get a bit paranoid about the system failing me and hence the elaborate testing. I have a rather bad "if it can go wrong it will go wrong" attitude which I really need to shake of

Hope it makes a bit more sense now.

As for ur problem with the NS6, have u contacted Numark or the place you bought it from. Maybe take your mac there and test it wiith their demo model if possible. That would definitely help in pinpointing the problem you are facing.

l8r:)

geposted Wed 13 Jul 11 @ 10:27 am
Cstoll any chance you have run across this issue? I have been looking everywhere for answers... (copy and paste) I just purchased a Numark NS6 last week and there is an audio delay of 1-2 seconds. I suspect this to be a USB drop out. When I press play (or scratch) the waveform moves immediately, however the sound is delayed. There is also a delay if I move the fader to the opposite channel, which should leave me with silence, but the audio continues for a few seconds then audio quickly fades out. (on this note is the mixer analog, midi, or a seemingly a combination of both?) This is occuring in VDJ and ITCH, both most current versions. A few times the delay went away after restarts, but when it did the audio was terribly distorted and after a few minutes the delay came back. I have optimized my laptop by reducing everything I could possibly think of: visual display, prioritizing background services, running a defrag, limiting start-up services via msconfig, turning off blue tooth and wireless, etc. I have tried all of my USB ports. I was told to ensure that I was calibrating the jog wheels every time, which I did and tried about a million times. I have turned off Sync, master tempo, beat grids, and set the latency to every setting possible. I have also tried 3 difference USB cables (all which worked fine when I plugged in my Mixdeck and Mixtrack Pro). Serato personnel have attempted to help me but I haven't gotten particulary far with them so far. I am going to try and run it tonight with the battery removed to stop a process called ACI, maybe? That seems to be the last reccomendation. Anything you can suggest that may help? I am becoming very frustrated. Numark customer service has been completely disregarding my requests for help. Please help. Thanks!!!

geposted Thu 14 Jul 11 @ 3:41 pm
If you are having the same problem with both VirtualDJ and Itch then you have a latency issue with that unit.

If you are using only the ITCH provided drivers - then uninstall Itch and go to the NS6 Micro site and get the drivers from there.

If you are using the drivers from the micro site then do the reverse - uninstall those and redownload and install the latest Itch version 1.8.1 for the NS6.

But it is clearly a latency issue with the unit and the best thing to do is eliminate bad driver load.

geposted Thu 14 Jul 11 @ 9:33 pm
hi guy I've figure out how to use the fx now but only 1small small problem now my sync on deck-2, deck-3 and deck-4 works fine apart deck -1 does not work any help

geposted Fri 15 Jul 11 @ 4:47 am
yes guys everything works perfectly fine everything ;-)

geposted Fri 15 Jul 11 @ 6:07 am
Could you please post a video on how to install and use virtual dj with the NS6. Virtual dj 7 is a cool and expensive s/ware. so please give us a tuitorial on how it works with the NS6.

geposted Sun 17 Jul 11 @ 8:55 pm
Expensive? Charge more for your gigs.

geposted Mon 18 Jul 11 @ 10:13 am
CSTOLL and anyone else that would know: Is there anyone using this with Windows 7 successfully? If so is there a certain setup or config of the computer desired over another processor, RAM, whatnot?

I have everything 98% with mac but I want to use with windows. So just checking to see. I have not made the switch so thought I would ask to see first before pulling my hair out.

Thanks for everything guys....

geposted Tue 19 Jul 11 @ 2:56 pm
djmagicmoments wrote :

Scott: What is the deal man? Why do you always seem to come across as a flippin jerk when you post? You are supposed to be a leader in this industry. You have been around a long long time and have done some pretty cool things. Why continue to run your mouth and respond to negativity? It is only going to make you look like a bigger horse's ass than you already appear to be.

We used to pull our hair out with you guys at PCDJ when you went through testing with new gear and updates. You would all have excuses or reasons why this or that doesn't work correctly.

I can feel your pain with this issue. I would read everything you guys were going through and then try it with mine. I finally got it working a while back while you were still having problems. They are doing the best they can. If you want more information just throw around your credentials and request to be on the beta team or something. But stop responding to the negative posts as it is just going to bring more negativity.

Keep Rockin' it...always

Paulie

geposted Tue 19 Jul 11 @ 3:21 pm
Paulie_C wrote :
CSTOLL and anyone else that would know: Is there anyone using this with Windows 7 successfully? If so is there a certain setup or config of the computer desired over another processor, RAM, whatnot?

I have everything 98% with mac but I want to use with windows. So just checking to see. I have not made the switch so thought I would ask to see first before pulling my hair out.

Thanks for everything guys....

If you have a MacBook Pro (Unibody / Intel processor) just bootcamp it. Or get something comparable. I would stay away from those new i7 Sandy Bridge systems that everyone is having problems with.

FYI - I did all the development of the mapper on a Late 2008 MacBook Pro (Unibody/Intel) machine running Windows 7 32-bit BootCamp - if that helps. And I would get 32-bit Windows 7 - manufacture's drivers and support for the 32-bit environment is still the most stable platform.

geposted Tue 19 Jul 11 @ 8:19 pm
As always you friggin ROCK! That is news I can use!

Scott: That was meant to be sent in a message. I apologize for sending it in open forum. Tough to do on an EVO.

geposted Tue 19 Jul 11 @ 9:04 pm
Paulie_C wrote :
djmagicmoments wrote :

Scott: What is the deal man? Why do you always seem to come across as a flippin jerk when you post? You are supposed to be a leader in this industry. You have been around a long long time and have done some pretty cool things. Why continue to run your mouth and respond to negativity? It is only going to make you look like a bigger horse's ass than you already appear to be.

We used to pull our hair out with you guys at PCDJ when you went through testing with new gear and updates. You would all have excuses or reasons why this or that doesn't work correctly.

I can feel your pain with this issue. I would read everything you guys were going through and then try it with mine. I finally got it working a while back while you were still having problems. They are doing the best they can. If you want more information just throw around your credentials and request to be on the beta team or something. But stop responding to the negative posts as it is just going to bring more negativity.

Keep Rockin' it...always

Paulie

Paulie, My response was 100% correct. If the original person who posted the question feels that VDJ is so expensive, then he should charge more for his gigs. That would solve the problem. Not trying to be ignorant.

Also, I was ONLY a moderator at PCDJ. Nothing more. I just kept the peace. It was not I making excuses for anyone.

I responded to TWO negative posts. If anyone has an issue with VDJ, they are expected to post in these forums. So, if you are taking my issues with VDJ as negativity, I assure you that they are not. The leaders at VDJ know how i feel about this software...

No, I have never been asked to beta test... that would be fun but I doubt that will happen.

Sorry if I sound so condescending... not my intention and I will try to do much better.

My apologies to all.

Scott

geposted Thu 21 Jul 11 @ 10:16 am
Scott: You are still the man!

CSTOLL: I am getting ready to get a new macbook. You say to stay away from the i7 sandy bridge thingy thing. What does that mean? Stay away from the new computers period?

If you have a moment, can you advise what new macbook you would buy and with what all in it? I had chosen the 17in with 2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB, 500GB Serial ATA Drive. I could pay more for the 2.3GHz but it didn't seem to me that it would make that big of a difference.

I am lost on all of this stuff. I am a PC guy so Mac is a new monster!

geposted Sun 24 Jul 11 @ 2:39 pm
pskeensPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Paulie_C wrote :
Scott: You are still the man!

CSTOLL: I am getting ready to get a new macbook. You say to stay away from the i7 sandy bridge thingy thing. What does that mean? Stay away from the new computers period?

If you have a moment, can you advise what new macbook you would buy and with what all in it? I had chosen the 17in with 2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB, 500GB Serial ATA Drive. I could pay more for the 2.3GHz but it didn't seem to me that it would make that big of a difference.

I am lost on all of this stuff. I am a PC guy so Mac is a new monster!

Not ALL computers are bad. What cstoll is referring to is the NEW i5 and i7 processors from Intel (aka Sandy Bridge). There is a silicon problem in the 6 series chipset that is used within these two processors. They were being recalled and Intel had stopped shipping them until they got it corrected. There were many of these already in machines (Mac's) before the recall started though. As of now the problem is supposed to be fixed.

The latest versions of the i7 and i5 processors should be fine, BUT you have to make sure it is past Mid June production date to be safe. Also recommending to stay with 32 bit OS and don't jump to 64 as there are too many driver issues still out there on the 64 bit platform.

geposted Sun 24 Jul 11 @ 8:04 pm
Cool man thanks.

What is the difference going from 32bit to 64bit? What makes 64bit better? Something I always wondered. Surely I wouldn't need it for playing videos or music, right?

I am not seeing an option at all for 32bit. Is this something I have to request in writing?

Also, where do I get boot camp? Is that in the software already? So much to learn!

geposted Sun 24 Jul 11 @ 9:01 pm
Paulie_C wrote :
Cool man thanks.

What is the difference going from 32bit to 64bit? What makes 64bit better? Something I always wondered. Surely I wouldn't need it for playing videos or music, right?

I am not seeing an option at all for 32bit. Is this something I have to request in writing?

Also, where do I get boot camp? Is that in the software already? So much to learn!

Like pskeen said, the sandybridge processors themselves do not have a problem. It is the few mainboards that had a problem with the 3gb/s sata ports. For mobile devices it was the HM65 and HM67 chipset and for desktop mainboards it was the H67 and P67 chipset. To be on the safe side I would stay away from machines that have those chipsets. If you are buying a new laptop or desktop check the specifications to find out what chipset the system is using.

The main difference between a 32 bit system and a 64 bit system is the amount of memory the system can address. With a 32bit system, you can address a maximum of 4GB ((2^32)-1) so if you have more than 4 gb of RAM, the system will only recognise and use 4GB. Apart from that, there is no major difference apart from the driver stability pskeen has already mentioned.

For info on bootcamp check this website.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

Its got all the info you need.

When buying windows 7 (oem), it comes in two flavours 32 bit and 64 bit. You can buy them seperately depending on which version you want. With the retail version, you get both versions. During installation, you get the option to select whether you want to install the 32 bit system or the 64 bit system.

Have fun with your new toy.

l8r :)

geposted Mon 25 Jul 11 @ 9:29 am
One quick point about using Bootcamp... you must have only ONE active partition on your hard drive to be able to use Bootcamp.

If you have more than one (Mac OS, Music, Videos), it does not let you use Bootcamp.

Found this out the hard way so trust me on this one....

Scott

geposted Tue 26 Jul 11 @ 10:08 am
Great advice!

Why do you need bootcamp or parallel? Can't everything just work with OSX?

Also... Anyone know anything about Lion verses Snow Leopard or any of the other ones?

making a $4k purchase, I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. I don't make as much as Scott anymore...LOL

geposted Tue 26 Jul 11 @ 4:36 pm
Perhaps this was already covered, but I just scrolled through the pages and didn't see it.... pushing the FX SELECT to go from FX to SAMPLER. I thought this worked earlier, now its not.
Also, anyone else get the new crossfader plate from Numark? At first glance it looks identical to the stock, but the center cut out isn't as long and the painted lines seem to be more durable.

geposted Tue 26 Jul 11 @ 9:00 pm
61%