Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: 4 Deck default crossfader assignment - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

I have a Numark N4 and by default none of the decks are assigned to either side of the crossfader. I would like decks 1 & 3 to be assigned to the left and decks 2 & 4 to be assigned to the right by default so I tried adding the following 2 scripts under 'ONINIT' and neither worked:

deck 1 cross_assign 'left' & deck 2 cross_assign 'right' & deck 3 cross_assign 'left' & deck 4 cross_assign 'right'

OR

deck 1 cross_assign 'left' & deck 2 cross_assign 'right' & get decks 4 ? deck 3 cross_assign 'left' & deck 4 cross_assign 'right' : nothing

I am especially confused as to why this did not work because i tried assigning it to a button just to see what would happen and when i press that button it does exactly what i wanted it to. I just need it to do this by default upon starting VDJ

My ENTIRE mapping for 'ONINIT' is currently:

master_volume 50% & headphone_gain -4 & pitch_range 12% & get decks 4 ? deck 1 leftdeck & deck 1 leftvideo & deck 2 rightdeck & deck 2 rightvideo &deck 3 key_lock on & deck 4 key_lock on & deck 1 vinyl_mode off & deck 2 vinyl_mode off & deck 3 vinyl_mode off & deck 4 vinyl_mode off & deck 1 masterdeck & deck 1 cross_assign 'left' & deck 2 cross_assign 'right' & get decks 4 ? deck 3 cross_assign 'left' & deck 4 cross_assign 'right' : nothing & reinit_controller "N4"

So i changed it to:

master_volume 50% & headphone_gain -4 & pitch_range 12% & get decks 4 ? deck 1 leftdeck & deck 1 leftvideo & deck 2 rightdeck & deck 2 rightvideo & deck 1 cross_assign 'left' & deck 2 cross_assign 'right' & deck 3 cross_assign 'left' & deck 4 cross_assign 'right' & deck 3 key_lock on & deck 4 key_lock on & deck 1 vinyl_mode off & deck 2 vinyl_mode off & deck 3 vinyl_mode off & deck 4 vinyl_mode off & deck 1 masterdeck & deck 1 cross_assign 'left' & deck 2 cross_assign 'right' & get decks 4 ? deck 3 cross_assign 'left' & deck 4 cross_assign 'right' : nothing & reinit_controller "N4"

Any help please??

geposted Sun 18 Nov 12 @ 11:04 pm
You should query the number of decks only once.
Anyway, after clearing up your code a little bit you should use the following code:

master_volume 50% & headphone_gain -4 & pitch_range 12% & deck 1 cross_assign 'left' & deck 2 cross_assign 'right' & deck 1 vinyl_mode 0 & deck 2 vinyl_mode 0 & get decks 4 ? deck 1 leftdeck & deck 1 masterdeck & deck 1 leftvideo & deck 2 rightdeck & deck 2 rightvideo & deck 3 cross_assign 'left' & deck 4 cross_assign 'right' & deck 3 key_lock on & deck 4 key_lock on & deck 3 vinyl_mode 0 & deck 4 vinyl_mode 0 : nothing

PS: You should not use the "reinit_controller" command on the "ONINIT" element of your mapper. It could very easily put your controller on an endless init loop!

geposted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 2:46 am
Hey, thanks for such a quick response! ... But i just tried it and it did not work. none of the decks are assigned to either side upon loading....

The "reinit controller" part was actually already part of the original "oninit" mapping before I changed anything.... I was wondering what that was myself. Also I must have screwed up when I copy and pasted my mappings to this post because my mapping before trying the crossfader assignments obviously didn't contain all of the "deck cross_assign" commands and my after one didn't contain them all twice like it shows! Sorry

geposted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 12:00 pm
I assume you edit your mapper through VirtualDJ, right? You don't edit the XML file directly? Correct?

Can you do a little test please:
1. Load VirtualDJ as usual, with your controller connected.
2. Open Config
3. Map a keyboard button to "reinit_controller"
4. Close config
5. Hit the button you mapped on step 3

Does it work now ?

Which skin file are you using ?

I'm saying all this because skins have <ONINIT> actions too. Maybe there's something on the skin you're using that "cancels" the ONINIT of your controller...

geposted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 12:21 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
By default decks 1 and 3 are assigned as left cross side and decks 2 and 4 as right.
I see no need to re-assign them.
But have in mind that some midi controllers come with hardware switches to assign the decks to either side, and even if you assign them using ONIT, software reads the position of those switches and sets them back to the position those switches show.

I see you are using a Numark N4. The unit has some XFADE buttons assigned as leftcross and rightcross. Those are buttons and not switches , correct ?
Try to delete those cross_assign actions from the ONINIT (both from mapper and skin) , use those buttons to set the decks to the correct sides , and relaunch software.
The default sides should be used.
As for the rightvideo, leftvideo actions in the ONIIT line, i m not sure if this is the right thing to do, as this way it cancels the automatic side assignment each time you swap the left or the right decks (using the leftcross/rightcross actions).

geposted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 12:32 pm
Yes, i map directly through VDJ, i don't even know how to edit xml files or skins and such.

I mapped the reinit_contoller test like you said (to "tap" button - irrelevent, i know) and whe i press it it does seem to reinitialize the controller.... All the LEDs turn off for a split second and then back to normal function. Still no crossfader action.

The skin im using is:

N4_Cue_Pro_and_VirtualDJ_Skins:1280x768

geposted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 12:36 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
No such a skin is available in the Download Center. A link would help. Or is that the default skin that came with the LE version ?

geposted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 12:40 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :

Anyway, after clearing up your code a little bit you should use the following code:

master_volume 50% & headphone_gain -4 & pitch_range 12% & deck 1 cross_assign 'left' & deck 2 cross_assign 'right' & deck 1 vinyl_mode 0 & deck 2 vinyl_mode 0 & get decks 4 ? deck 1 leftdeck & deck 1 masterdeck & deck 1 leftvideo & deck 2 rightdeck & deck 2 rightvideo & deck 3 cross_assign 'left' & deck 4 cross_assign 'right' & deck 3 key_lock on & deck 4 key_lock on & deck 3 vinyl_mode 0 & deck 4 vinyl_mode 0 : nothing

PS: You should not use the "reinit_controller" command on the "ONINIT" element of your mapper. It could very easily put your controller on an endless init loop!

Based on the original <ONINIT> try this:

master_volume 50% & headphone_gain -4 & pitch_range 12% & deck 1 vinyl_mode 0 & deck 2 vinyl_mode 0 & get decks 4 ? deck 1 leftdeck & deck 1 masterdeck & deck 1 leftvideo & deck 2 rightdeck & deck 2 rightvideo & deck 1 leftcross & deck 2 rightcross & deck 3 leftcross & deck 4 rightcross & deck 3 key_lock on & deck 4 key_lock on & deck 3 vinyl_mode 0 & deck 4 vinyl_mode 0 & reinit_controller "N4" : nothing

geposted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 12:48 pm
DJDAD:

I appologize, it must have been Numark's website that i got them from.

Secondly yes they are buttons not switches. And they work fine at that, when i press them they assign the corresponding deck and the LED stays lit (unless changed of course)

I have no idea how to access skin mappings, how do you do this?

*NOTE: The ONLY parts of the oninit mapping that i changed were the addition of the "vinyl_mode off" commands and the "key_lock" commands. This is the original, untouched mapping that "oninit" was set to originally:

master_volume 50% & headphone_gain -4 & pitch_range 12% & get decks 4 ? deck 1 leftdeck & deck 1 leftvideo & deck 2 rightdeck & deck 2 rightvideo & deck 1 masterdeck & reinit_controller "N4"

geposted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 12:50 pm
Sorry PhantomDJ, when i said my CURRENT mapping for "oninit" is: "............." I did not mean the original mapping of it. I had modified it. Just they keylock and vinyl mode partd though. Original mapping for it was:

master_volume 50% & headphone_gain -4 & pitch_range 12% & get decks 4 ? deck 1 leftdeck & deck 1 leftvideo & deck 2 rightdeck & deck 2 rightvideo & deck 1 masterdeck & reinit_controller "N4"

geposted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 12:53 pm
I know the original <ONINIT>
Based on the original, and your samples of code I created the above code. I type it here once more:

master_volume 50% & headphone_gain -4 & pitch_range 12% & deck 1 vinyl_mode 0 & deck 2 vinyl_mode 0 & get decks 4 ? deck 1 leftdeck & deck 1 masterdeck & deck 1 leftvideo & deck 2 rightdeck & deck 2 rightvideo & deck 1 leftcross & deck 2 rightcross & deck 3 leftcross & deck 4 rightcross & deck 3 key_lock on & deck 4 key_lock on & deck 3 vinyl_mode 0 & deck 4 vinyl_mode 0 & reinit_controller "N4" : nothing

This code will turn OFF vinyl_mode (as you wanted) and will turn ON keylock on decks 3 & 4

geposted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 12:57 pm
That did'nt work either Phantom........ Maybe it is part of the skin mapping, though i doubt it....... Really stuck on this one

geposted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 12:59 pm
DJDAD: That did not work as expected because thats pretty much just using the original mapping and when you relaunch vdj they go back to being unnassigned. As for the leftvideo, rightvideo parts, I'm not sure they were already part of the mapping. (I don't even use videos)

geposted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 1:08 pm
I'm not sure if this matters either but my crossfader is set to "smooth", which i don't remember doing so i changed it to FULL as i usually use but upon restarting VDJ its back on "smooth" ........ Any other settings i change stay the way i change them, just the crossfader setting is doing this....

geposted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 1:15 pm
Hey, i just tried something and got a very interesting result. I unplugged my N4 from the pc and started VDJ. Upon loading, the skin (still same skin) showed decks 1&3 assigned to left and 2&4 assigned to right! Now i plug the N4 in and they become unnassigned! (the colored numbers 1-4 next to the crossfader that mirror the controller become unlit)

geposted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 1:28 pm
doughboy84 wrote :
I'm not sure if this matters either but my crossfader is set to "smooth", which i don't remember doing so i changed it to FULL as i usually use but upon restarting VDJ its back on "smooth" ........ Any other settings i change stay the way i change them, just the crossfader setting is doing this....

That's because your controller has a knob mapped for crossfader curve. According to the default mapping, when turned full left it will set the crossfader curve to "smooth" and on any other position it will set it to "scratch"

geposted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 1:52 pm
Oh ok, thanks. Still no suggestions on my original problem. Do you see anything odd about them being assigned if the controller isn't plugged in but using the same skin..? Then I plug it in (with vdj still running) and they go off...?

geposted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 2:02 pm
In other words your skin automatically assigns the crossfader on init!!!

Try this:

master_volume 50% & headphone_gain -4 & pitch_range 12% & deck 1 vinyl_mode 0 & deck 2 vinyl_mode 0 & get decks 4 ? deck 1 leftdeck & deck 1 masterdeck & deck 1 leftvideo & deck 2 rightdeck & deck 2 rightvideo & deck 3 key_lock on & deck 4 key_lock on & deck 3 vinyl_mode 0 & deck 4 vinyl_mode 0 & reinit_controller "N4" : nothing

geposted Tue 20 Nov 12 @ 12:47 am
djranesPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Out of curiosity, I made a test for this request using PhantomDeejay script.
I manually typed the script (carefully note of the spacing) on VDJ mapper ONINIT for N4 > OK then shutdown VDJ > plugin N4 > start VDJ and wahhalalhhh, WORKS! 1&3 = leftdeck led lit and 2&4 = rightdeck led lit.

To further test, I made a ONINIT on the keyboard (CTRL+C) and typed the same script from PhantomDeejay (carefully note of the spacing). This will allow me to reinitialize the controller using the keyboard. Pressed CTRL+C > all lights off from N4 > and back to the desired function as the above, perfect.

geposted Tue 20 Nov 12 @ 12:47 am
I am not at my controller right now, but I will be anxiously awaiting 8:00 when I get off work to try this. Regardless, I thank you all for the great community and support team that you have created. I have been exremely pleased and surprised at how promptly you guys are able to respond to all the questions and requests of the VDJ community.

geposted Tue 20 Nov 12 @ 3:12 am
69%