Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: prices of your set-ups

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

gday blokes and ladies, i am a begginner mixer and would like to further a possible career in virtual djing, i am just trying to get a rough estimate of how much it would cost to get me going, maybe if you could tell me how much u paid for your setups and what you use i would be forever in your debt, cheers.

geposted Sun 08 Jan 06 @ 1:30 pm
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Don't know where u r at but i'll try to help. I'm in the States so prices may be different. What kind of dj'ing you want to do will also effect the costs.

If u want to dj pretty much just at home then all u really need is a full version of VDJ and a computer. You can add on to this set up by purchasing a controller such as the xp10 or the hercules controllers. There are more out there but these seem to be the most common.

If you want to take your show on the road then you will need more stuff...ALOT MORE.

You will need a sound system. if you will do big shows, you will need...

2 good amps............................$1000 each
1 crossover..............................$200
eq............................................$150
compressor..............................$200
2 bass bins (Sub woofers).........$800 each
2 full range speakers.................$350 each
2 turntables..............................$350 and up each
or
2 cd players..............................$700 and up each
2 needles for turntables.............$50 and up each
1 mixer.....................................$100 and up
1 laptop computer....................$750 and up
1 external sound card (maya44 usb) $120
Virtual DJ Pro...........................$149
2 time coded vinal for turntables $
or
2 timecodod cd's........................$ free download
don't forget all your cables to connect everything.

All these prics are approximate, just a Little better than rough estimates. Thats because the prices from name brand to name brand vary and the quaility of the products also effect priceing. The prices I stated above are just about mid range.

Thats about it i think. I may be forgetting something but this is a basic set up for a dj.
Of course you may not NEED all this stuff but if you want to turn this into a career then get what you need to get the job done weather it be a big job or a small one.

Hope this helps. if you need more info... just ask and me or anyone in these forums and we will be happy to help.

DJ CITY
Washington D.C.

geposted Sun 08 Jan 06 @ 10:32 pm
If you are a club dj, the club often have all that for you, and all you need is your music, a laptop and VDJ :)

Add a controller (xp10, hercules, timecode or Dac) and you are on a good start :)

Like DjCity said, if you want your own mobile setup, its would cost a lot more...

regarding what dj's get payed... its quite alot ;) hehe...
Payment for a dj job can be anyting from 200 dollars to 10x that, for a nite.... But only superstar djs get the high amount of course ;)

geposted Sun 08 Jan 06 @ 10:39 pm
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Typically the most expensive part of the equipment is the speakers and amp. You will get judged on quality so try spend as much as you can afford or try to get more bang for your buck when it comes to this area. Other than that VDJ is the perfect start to perfect mixes.

Since your starting out you probably wouldn't need an external controller (You can use keyboard shortcuts). Neccesities are a decent sound card, 2 channel mixer and also something like a ipod or discman as backup.

I would definitely recommend Behringer for cheap yet quality equipment.

geposted Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 12:05 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
And most importantly, what ever you buy get it insured by a reputable company, maybe even a company that deal only with DJ's/electronics, technical error or being clumsy can lead to a lot of equipment damage!, and people love stealing this stuff.., tip: don't leave DJ gear in cars, I've heard of so many losses under these circumstances.

Also be legal with licenses, it's not worth the charge should one be unlucky enough to get caught!.

geposted Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 12:17 am
As A Mobile DJ The Most Expensive Part Has Been The Music. But I Always Carry Backup Equipment. My Main Setup Is: Rackmount - $4,000.00; CD Player $600.00; Mixer $500.00; Amp (I only use QSC $1,200.00 and Backup Amp $600.00, Subs $1,000.00, High Ends $1,000.00. Music in CD's Must Be Around $20,000.00. Wires, cases misc Prob Around $1,000.00. Wow Thats A Lot Of Dough! I Should Raise My Prices Again! LOL!

geposted Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 4:06 am
cyberiaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Looking at all those prices (and I know it adds up, I just upgraded my mobile setup), I couldn't help but think: "A VDJ--so much power for so little money." And here we are, stating that VDJ should do so much more here, there, eveywhere!

Pricewise, 1 Soundcard = 1 VDJ. For that price, and compared with everything else in the setup, it's simply disposable--just a hammer in the shed, maybe not right for some jobs, but good enough for most!

Another thought is that some guys say that they have over 50,000 tracks on their PCs. Even at $1/track (a lot more if they were bought on a vinyl), that's $50,000! What a chunk of change!

geposted Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 5:15 am
yep and vinyl is much more $$$ then 1$ a song. I used to pay approx 13$ US+ per single album and approx 30$ US per vinyl album. My entire collection (yes much of it was handed down to me through 2 generations) but total is over 50 000 vinyls. No none are for sale unfortunatelly since I am also a collector and would love to continue this collection and later hand it down to my kids so they can continue to do the same.

When you look at a large number like this you really start thinking about how much you've really invested in music and equipment. Well one thing I can say is that no equipment is cheap. There's cheap quality although most equipment never comes cheap which is why I tell all my customers "A cheap price isn't always a good price"

You should always look into quality products otherwise you will spend the cash into replacements and repairs if you stick with low prices.

DJ City as well as the others in this post topic is pretty close as far as equipment pricing goes.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

geposted Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 5:46 am
thank you guys, thank you all very much i appreciate it greatly, now all thats left to do is to make some cash :), i am certainly going to purcahse the Pro edition of virtual dj firstly though, as i am very keen to show you all some of my house mixing skills on the vdj radio ;). look forward to speaking to all of you again shortly, once again thank you.

geposted Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 7:56 am
stevomay, just curious,.. but how do you plan to make the CASH!

geposted Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 8:53 am
I wanna know too...

geposted Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 10:22 am
I live in Australia and at the moment there is very high demand for hands on workers, seing as i have now finished my apprentischip i figured i will further a career as a plumber. and have some fun djing on the side

geposted Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 12:34 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Wow man, that's a helluva lotta plumbing mate! You'd better get started!!!

;o)

Keep spinnin....P

geposted Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 1:06 pm
DJ NicePRO InfinityMember since 2004
Those prices are WAYYYYYYY out of whack You can just start out with a basic setups doing a few house parties not only do you build your skills you also make the money to upgrade your equipment as you move along in your carrer I think you can get started for under $1500 - These 20k For CD numbers are ludacris

Music -
Buy only compulation cd's by the BPM - www.clubessitals.com 15- 19 bucks average 20 - 30 tracks
using VDJ 3.2 subscribe to Napster and use the Global Database about 10 buckus a month

Equipment -
Grab two of these for the aw factor to start out -
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-PHO-PERFA530.html -$340
The key to being a sucessfull DJ is to be rememberd....for all the right reasons
a Good DJ will actually go unnoticed to be great you must earn the trust of the crowd and u will be
remembered as trust worthty when folks see u in the future - When I walk through the crowd at a club with my famous yellow hoddie people flock to the dance floor b4 I even boot my computer - they know what to expect - Nobody wants to look Stupid on a DANCE floor you've got to learn to sync the bass drops that's what most folks (that know how to dance) are moving to - you could have the illest equipment DTZ1200's, Crown2500s, Mackie SA1532Zs etc but if you can't sync the BPMs don't matter what u got for that pick AutomixMP3 to get use to Virtual DJing concept - The App is less CPU intense and allows you to pick up a lesser desktop/laptop rig to start Grab the: Denon RMDJ1500 for a starter mixer and a decent pair of Headphones - (i recommend the Audio Technica ATHM40FS as the block out house noise) it'll run you about 65 bucks each for the mixer and head phones Practice practice practice sync the Beats flawlessly and don't get in front of a crowd even for free if you can't and check the billboards and do some club spotting so you know whats hot in the area. Getting into a club 10 - 20 bucks listening/crowd response to music and music/culture awarenes - priceless

Some of these cats are just computer literate with a few extra dollars that can talk about
crossovers , EQ's but couldn't even mix a 120bpm house beat.

geposted Tue 10 Jan 06 @ 8:26 pm
bigkHome userMember since 2005
Dj Nice perfect answer, I'll agree and back you up on that one. Besides the computer and software another stack and your good to go as a beginner. and you will even be able to do small sets. and dont forget the business cards. I think some people forget how they started. I still remember my very first setup. two sony turntables the ones with the twist knob, a regular stereo amp, realistic house speakers with a realistic mixer.realisticly though I have a friend who just started out and he uses a gemini mixer with those b52 matrix speakers for 799.00. sounds decent and he can build on it as he makes more money.

geposted Tue 10 Jan 06 @ 9:49 pm
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
dj nice is correct.

But then again... So am I.

it all depends on your overall budget, Your "Right Now" spemding money, and your long term goals.

If you want to go slow and build on your equiptment, that is a good thing and a good way to go about it.

The only thing wrong with that is if you plan on staying in the biz and building a real sound system.

for example, You can buy a set of turntables that are good but inexpensive. Not a bad choice until you build up on your sound. less expensive turntables can be great for shows that do not require alot of volume or more importantly, alot of bass. Turn the volume and bass up and you run into feedback through the tonearm and the base of the turntable. That is a show blower, belive me.

You can buy inexpensive speakers that sound good in very small rooms but sound BAD at your shows or the speakers simply get tired as the night goes on. You can turn the volume up to compensate for speaker fatigue but there is nothing you can do for the sound quaility except turn the volume down. Another "Show Blower".

The other thing to keep in mind is you can end up spending way more money in the long run by buying cheaper equiptment. Just think of all you may have to replace or upgrade vs. buying what you need the first time.

Inexpensive does not always mean cheap but when it comes to equiptment it often does. To save money and get what you need, just priortize.

2 GOOD turntables or GOOD cd players
A DECENT mixer
1 GOOD amp
2 GOOD full range speakers
1 DECENT EQ

This will be a good start and a good system to build on WITHOUT having to replace equiptment that you can no longer use cause you have outgrown it or because it's not good enuff to grow with you.

DJ CITY

geposted Wed 11 Jan 06 @ 12:02 am
You see there's a low budget solution and a high budget solution.

I have dealt with both and here is what I can say. Cheap budget will make you spend the same amount of cash over and over again in either repairs, replacements, or tune ups. a good setup will require less of these since they can actually handle what your throwing at them.

The choice is yours.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

geposted Wed 11 Jan 06 @ 12:24 am
White Devil is very right. I have learned from experience that inexpensive equipment breaks easily. Now lets say your making a name for yourself and your amp goes down and you didn't buy a backup. Party's over! And no matter how good you were people will remember that you could not deliver on your promise and it doesn't cost too much more to get decent equipment. I am not a club dj. I am a mobile which is much more music than a club. So not out a wack on my costs just different. Growing up over the years I have made back my investments many times and still have some of the same equipment.

Music wise -

Can you get by with maybe 500 tracks or less, yes maybe as a club dj, but playing weddings I sure can't and least and deliver the quality I promise to my clients.

We all have to start somewhere but if I can offer one word of advise, don't bite off more than you can chew and price accordingly.

Good luck...

BTW - DJ Nice I heard very bad things about those Phonic Performance speakers. I heard they sound very tinny and blow out easily. Do you own them and are they working ok for you?

geposted Wed 11 Jan 06 @ 1:05 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
to go back and answer the question;

i DJ for fun and at free events in the UK, i rarely DJ for the money but thats not to say ive never been paid ;)

my settup consists of a rackmount PC with audio interface running TCV on VDJ

2 x Numark TT-500s 410 GBP
1 x Numark DM3050 90 GBP
1 x Rackmount PC 450 GBP
1 x VDJ + TCV 130 GBP
1 x Phase 88 Audio 200 GBP

then you have to think about what your gonna do for sounds. personaly i use ether some bookshelf speakers in the den or my bigass HIFI (im a hifi nut ive spent a ton on it lol) if i have it set up downstairs (like if im having a party) but if your DJing for yourself you can probably get away with using the AUX in on any decent speakers and probably same goes if your doing a house party etc etc. the biggest sytem i have ever used with VDJ was a 27K system (thats RMS too) with 20 218 bass bins and it thumps but it goes without saying that if your just getting into DJing and your just pracaticing at home an mabey the odd party you dont need more than you need to hear the song loud and clear.

Behringer truths and a decent amp will set you back about 220 GBP and will be more than enough to play a house party and DJ at home.

geposted Wed 11 Jan 06 @ 1:41 am
I started out a long time ago with a couple of Technic 1200's, a Numark mixer, a Crown Amp and Peavy speakers. While working in the clubs, i would buy the records that worked at the record store that I worked at for the employee discount. Over the years I have collected over 9,000 records and 5,000 CDs. As you can see, I have a sizable investment in my music.

geposted Wed 11 Jan 06 @ 2:43 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)