Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Switching from RNB HIP HOP, TO TRANCE AND DANCE

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

druboneHome userMember since 2007
Hey Fellow DJ'S, Has any one out there got advice on how to switch from main stream RNB and Hip Hop to TRANCE and Dance??? Ive bought a few cds, am doing a few trials , am ok with the machine en staff but not sure of how to choose my music right, thanks guys......

geposted Thu 06 Dec 07 @ 5:36 pm
uhh what i do is to follow the bpm's

for example..lets say im mixing a electro song running at 140 bpm...i mix it with a 70 bpm hiphop ...and use your ear to mix........simple

geposted Tue 11 Dec 07 @ 4:26 pm
I do the same thing but I also allow room for atmosphere... Setting the tone of the room can allow change in BPM as well as using affects. But you have to set the tone of the room for genre changes. You can have the best song selection but il-timed placement can leave the audience wondering what the hell is he doing.

Learn to read and react to the room. On my saturday night gig, I try to play one song that is just so cheesy that if you played it in any other situation. The average person would laugh at you.

Examples... Playing a dance song and during a high instrumental I may mix in a cheesy song like Cotton eye joe. Last weak I did a short mix of hip hop around 105 bpm then when the crowd was ready I mixed in macarena for about 15 - 20 seconds then rolled into a floor filler. The crowd went crazy...

The point is you have to use your imagination and learn to have an ear for sound... AND play to the room by setting the mood. Like a magician will get you to look somewhere else while he manipulates what is actually being done. Everyone knows better but can't help getting involved in the moment.

I think every DJ has seen his share of "no matter what I do the atmosphere is just not there that night."

geposted Wed 12 Dec 07 @ 8:29 pm
What does cutting the BMP in half do? Does it have to be exactly in half or would 140 to 85 work also?

geposted Tue 15 Jan 08 @ 11:09 am
TRIPLE STX wrote :
What does cutting the BMP in half do? Does it have to be exactly in half or would 140 to 85 work also?

Cutting in half is for ease of beat mixing. If you want to use a song at a different BPM you'd still have to beatmix it, That means going down to 70 BPM (using the example)

Unless you radio fade it, scratch cut, or just slam over.

geposted Tue 15 Jan 08 @ 11:15 am
would the same work in reverse if I wanted to pick up the tempo? For instance playing a reggeaton and going over to Dance. Should I loop my intro coming in and then fade out the reggeaton?

geposted Sat 26 Jan 08 @ 9:41 am
I think the best way to switch from one genre to another and going into a higher BPM is find a song with a non beat intro. It can be a vocal intro or musical intro just as long as it doesn't have a beat to it. Example : Pitbul's mentirosa ( shake ) Or snoop dogg's Sexual seduction.

Of course theres tricks you can do to intro the higher beat song like give sample of the first verse of the intro song. Do that about 2 - 3 times then slam it in for a new BPM session.

geposted Sat 26 Jan 08 @ 6:19 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)