Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Total Breakthrough!! Completely illogical though...

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

arfurHome userMember since 2007
OK, I mentioned some problems in another thread which you can find here:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/100043/Hardware_Technical_Support/VDJ_freeze_goes_mega_slow_when_needle_is_taken_of_time-code_record.html

I was set up as suggest (ASIO, 6ms, optimised for latency etc) and I found if I lifted needle off one timcoded vinyl and gave the other a scratch or a spinback, there would be breaks in the audio, real bad ones.
I decided to try every permutation of settings, and eventually found complete stability with the following settings:

Audio driver: Herc MK2
Herc mk2 is in WDM mode!
Latency - lowest 64(1ms)!
Quality - highest!
Overclock and safe mode both ticked.

My laptop is old, its a 1.8Gig P4-M with 640meg of 266mhz ram, an ancient Dell Inspiron 2800.
)
My Os is Micro-XP 0.83, a stripped down version of XP that I've installed on a seperate partition that I've backed up and use only for VDJ. It boots from pressing the power button till the time XP is COMPLETELY loaded (stops 'thinking') in 16 seconds flat... then I put VDJ in the startup folder, and from pressing the power button will VDJ is ready for action, its 20 seconds.

I can scratch, spinback, go mad on EQ and crossfader and it's all 100% solid. Thats whilst mixing a 320kbits MP3 on each deck, and recording at 320kbits MP3 too...

So, very happy.

There is one problem I mentioned in the other thread that remains, and thats VDJ becoming unresponsive under certain scenarios when you lift the needle off one of the timecoded vinyls. I am trying to find a way to replicate the problem, but when it's happened so far I've not remembered exactly what I've done before that. The symptoms are easy to spot though:

1: A tune is loading up on a deck. I find I need to put the needle on the record for the song loading to progress. lift needle, and loading freezes until I put needle down again.

2: Browser stops responding, my needle is up. Put needle back on record, and I'm instantly browsing again.

So on the whole some excellent progress tonight, the freezing problem is the one and only remaining reliability issue I have in my mind. It's not too big a deal as one can just put the needle down again, but if there was a fix I'd be over the moon. I tried all the possible timecoded vinyl settings by the way, it happens in all of them.

geposted Mon 24 Nov 08 @ 2:26 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
arfur wrote :

Herc mk2 is in WDM mode!

Are you sure, you're in WDM mode.

I thought you needed to be Asio mode for using Timecodes. Well if it works for in WDM mode, good for you mate.

geposted Mon 24 Nov 08 @ 2:59 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The MK2 drivers will toggle to ASIO once VirtualDJ loads. Open the DJC Driver console and you will see it's in ASIO mode.

geposted Mon 24 Nov 08 @ 3:11 pm
Oh lol, you're right, I see it toggles back to ASIO the moment you open VDJ. *blush*

OK, so it's in ASIO mode, with lowest latency setting of 2ms.

Can anyone sexplain what difference is then, betweek selecting Herc MK2 as sound driver, and ASIO for sounds driver and selecting Herc MK2 in the drop down box?

The only difference I can see is the Ultra-latency option you get presented with. Can anyone explain what the ultra-latency setting does?

Also, another setting I would really like to know what it acheives, is the Clear Sound setting in the timecoded options?

Fanks

geposted Mon 24 Nov 08 @ 3:22 pm
Does no-one else get this break-in-loading-when-needle is-up issue?

geposted Mon 24 Nov 08 @ 3:37 pm
The Mk2 driver only allows 10ms at its lowest setting at 44.1khz irrespective of what you have Virtual DJ set to. If you really want to try and push lower latency you can try Asio4All, skyfxl has some nice guides on his blog.

Ultra-latency is the preferred asio engine since Virtual DJ 5 (I think), I believe the developers prefer it and the other one is provided just for compatibility.

About the loading thing, do you have max load set to always?

geposted Mon 24 Nov 08 @ 4:11 pm
Yep, max load is set to always.

10ms min? Thats mad though, I can't understand why I experience the problems I did when I set at 6ms.
Are the asio buffer sizes between Herc console options in taskbar, and VDJ latency options linked?

If so, perhaps I set Herc asio buffer to be smaller than VDJ buffer and was getting overruns when scratching.
Both were definitely under 10ms when I had problems, and reducing both to minimum worked, despite the two being theoretically identical if mk2 is capped at 10ms.

geposted Mon 24 Nov 08 @ 4:18 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
You should run the VirtualDJ Latency option on Auto. And set the latency for the device in the drivers.

geposted Mon 24 Nov 08 @ 7:07 pm
Ok, will try auto latency tonight, or just leave untouched since everything is working.

What would be really helpful is a document written by a software developer that explains every last option and what it does?
It could be very brief, but it would be so helpful.

No-one have any idea about the Clear Sound option in timecode setup? If it was labelled 'enable clear sound/disable distorted, noisy sound' then I know what I'd select, but since its a timecode option its certainly not a compressor.. low pass filter to eliminate jitter? If I knew what it was I would know what it's side effects were.

geposted Tue 25 Nov 08 @ 2:56 am
Hello Arfur,

1) Use Hercules last drivers, the ASIO latency is significantly better in ASIO in 44KHz 16-bit than it was with previous drivers
ftp://ftp.hercules.com/pub/webupdate/DJCSeries/2008_HDJS_3.exe

2) Don't misunderstand ASIO4ALL buffer size, its 1ms buffer size is added to the WDM 7ms buffer size (ASIO4ALL converts WDM into ASIO): if you use Hercules DJ Console driver package 3.HDJS.2008 in ASIO at 4ms buffer, the ASIO native driver 4ms buffer is shorter than ASIO4ALL 1ms (+7ms WDM buffer).

geposted Tue 25 Nov 08 @ 10:16 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)